Sign in to follow this  
Picard56

Crazy to draft Cole third?

I have the sixth pick in the draft and I usually never draft pitchers in the first 4 rounds... but this year I'm planning to draft Gerrit Cole and Thor in the 3rd and 4th round.

first two picks I'm thinking about getting bregman, then Judge. 3rd and 4th round to get Cole and Thor.

The rest of the draft I'm reasonable gonna get the following players:

Eugino Suarez

Nelson Cruz

Daniel Murphy/Scooter Gennett

Max Muncy

German Marquez

David Dahl....

Team would still look good after taking pitchers early?

Not at all crazy. But to be honest,I think your projections are way off. Especially Daniel Murphy.  Other than Bergman at 6,I fail to see most if any of your targets being available.  Cole won’t be available in 3, neither will Thor. Better have a backup plan.  

I've found every time I go into a draft saying "I'll get this guy, then grab this guy, then my team will look like this!" I end up missing on many of those targets, and scrambling. As mentioned you need a backup plan for sure. Even if it's just as simple as having 3-4 targets per draft pick and adjusting during the draft if needed.

36 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Not at all crazy. But to be honest,I think your projections are way off. Especially Daniel Murphy.  Other than Bergman at 6,I fail to see most if any of your targets being available.  Cole won’t be available in 3, neither will Thor. Better have a backup plan.  

Uh? Its a ten team league. I've done numerous mock drafts and kluber and cole are there in the third round.

16 minutes ago, DonaldsDucks said:

I've found every time I go into a draft saying "I'll get this guy, then grab this guy, then my team will look like this!" I end up missing on many of those targets, and scrambling. As mentioned you need a backup plan for sure. Even if it's just as simple as having 3-4 targets per draft pick and adjusting during the draft if needed.

Yes, I know, but I usually almost get 90 percent of the guys I want.

I was thinking 12 teamer.  Either way,cole certainly isn’t a sure thing at 27. either is Thor at 39.  I have cole higher than 27 (but that’s me and he might well be there in round 3.)  if he IS gone I wouldn’t be dead set on taking the next best sp because you missed out, especially if it’s like a clevinger. Ultimately if you get Thor and cole in the top 4 rounds you’ve done well in my opinion. Good luck.

Very bad idea to 'map' out all your targets like this. 

Snake drafts suck, but one thing to keep in mind is that players will 'drop' to you. Draft the best available player, don't target them all out. Your targets are all great though.

1 hour ago, CrypTviLL said:

Very bad idea to 'map' out all your targets like this. 

Snake drafts suck, but one thing to keep in mind is that players will 'drop' to you. Draft the best available player, don't target them all out. Your targets are all great though.

Seriously? you don't think I have at least 3-4 alternatives per round? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get these guys based on yahoo! rankings.

28 minutes ago, Picard56 said:

Seriously? you don't think I have at least 3-4 alternatives per round? I'm pretty sure I'm gonna get these guys based on yahoo! rankings.

The 4 people that have responded to your thread have told you that placing a player in a particular draft spot is a bad way of drafting. 

Now you are altering your story by claiming you have alternatives, but still the point stands. The best strategy is to be adaptive to the draft. If, say, the draft goes crazy on SP in the first two rounds you will not be left with Cole and Thor available. Instead, you should look to grab the elite bats in that instance which completely throws your 'mapping' strategy out. 

It's not bad to have targets and alternatives, but you need to be adaptive. Your whole strategy could be thrown out the window if you can acquire a player of elite caliber in the third round because there's been some rush on SP or something strange happens. 

The best draft strategy is to always have a player ranking before the draft and I would put a strong emphasis on this ranking being variable based on your scoring system & league settings.  You can never predict what other managers are going to do and your draft can derail very quickly if you go into saying "I'm drafting this person."

I usually don't like taking pitchers early either, although I think this year is probably different.  Cole as a 3rd rounder is not a bad pick, although I'd probably wait until the 4th round on him.   I'd go for Verlander 3rd round over Cole.  I had the 6th pick as well and took sale with the 6th pick overall though.  Then went hitters with my next 3 picks until the 5th round.   If you want Cole take him.    I think the best pitchers are at the top of drafts this year.   I took Sale  because he was the one I wanted.  May regret taking a pitcher that high but ah well.

I'm not huge on the hitters they have rated 6th overall. Guys like Yelich etc.. I would have ended up taking Bryce Harper or him or even Lindor if I took a hitter. Or Scherzer or Sale.  I just took Sale then took Stanton 2nd round. Got Benintendi 3rd and Bogaerts 4th.  A lot of red sox early but I got good value that way I figure.  Pitchers were going early in my draft.  I took Strasburg 5th and by then pitchers were really picked pretty thin.

Edited by walker834

Verlander went 1st pick in the 3rd round in my draft.  Aaron Nola, Khris Bryant, Snell and then Cole went the pick right before me.  So Cole is by no means a reach in the 3rd round.   

Edited by walker834

I think Cole is OK as a third rounder, but in any league with more than 10 teams I believe it hurts more than it helps to draft more than one true ace in the same team as you're losing a lot of hitting potential. SPs tend to be more unpredictable and you tend to want a good floor with your 3-4 first picks. Now I DO believe you should draft one Ace, so i agree with Cole on the third, but not Syndy on the fourth.