Sign in to follow this  
fawkes_mulder

Leonys Martin 2019 Outlook

Missed a lot of last year with a life-threatening bacterial infection. Recovered fully from it in the offseason. Quietly appears to be making a late career advancement in his bat skills. Will be batting leadoff for Cleveland in a bad outfield and should be playing almost every day if he's truly healthy.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/going-deep-leonys-martin-is-the-most-overlooked-player-in-fantasy-baseball/

This article sold me on him. I'm not as bullish as the writer, although I do see potential for 15/15+ and a full slate of at bats, which makes him a deep league bargain and potentially someone who is relevant in shallower formats too. He piled up 2.5 fWAR in only half a season last year. I really do think he'll play almost every day, Greg Allen, Tyler Naquin, and co. are not stealing at bats from him.

Edited by fawkes_mulder
  • Like 2

I was hoping not to see this thread until I finished a few more drafts. In deep 5 outfielder leagues this guy makes a great Of5 that you can get with your last pick in the draft. I think there’s a good chance he bats leadoff to start the year while Lindor is on the shelf and maybe if he performs well can make a case to hit higher in the order when he returns. I’m not sure he’ll be an everyday player though as he struggles against lefties.

3 minutes ago, meh2 said:

I was hoping not to see this thread until I finished a few more drafts. In deep 5 outfielder leagues this guy makes a great Of5 that you can get with your last pick in the draft. I think there’s a good chance he bats leadoff to start the year while Lindor is on the shelf and maybe if he performs well can make a case to hit higher in the order when he returns. I’m not sure he’ll be an everyday player though as he struggles against lefties.

That outfield is so bad though. I think he’ll at least get a shot at lefties and if he puts up even like a 70 wrc+ vs lefties that’ll be enough for him to still play most days vs lefties.

His defense is great.

Edited by fawkes_mulder

With Lindor down for a few weeks, he should hang onto the leadoff spot for a while. Of course it'd be nicer if he had Lindor in the lineup behind him... but he should still be valuable.