clarkevii

Enrique Hernandez 2019 Outlook

I'm new to fantasy baseball but wouldn't this guy hold more value because he has so many designations.

He hit 20 homers last year. Machado is gone. What is the case against him? 

Only knock against him is that he doesn’t have a starting job.  Machado is gone but Seager is back.  Muncys at 2nd and pollocks in center.  Kike is a super utility guy, but will most likely still see time in 100+ games.

i will agree he’s very underappreciated in fantasy, if he ends up finding full time work due to injuries he could have a nice breakout season

• Like 2

I've always liked him as a player who given the chance could hit 25+ HR but he won't get enough playing time. If there are injuries and he falls into an every day role he's definitely a guy to consider picking up; but at this point, there's no reason to draft him.

• Like 1

Hernandez is expected to be the Dodgers' starting second baseman, Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times reports.
Hernandez is tremendously versatile, having started everywhere except pitcher and catcher last season. That utility role got him 462 plate appearances last season, but it sounds as though he could be in line for even more this year after hitting .256/.336/.470 with 21 homers in 2018. Chris Taylor will start less frequently at second base but will still get starts around the diamond, particularly in left field.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, sanderz16 said:

Hernandez is expected to be the Dodgers' starting second baseman, Jorge Castillo of the Los Angeles Times reports.
Hernandez is tremendously versatile, having started everywhere except pitcher and catcher last season. That utility role got him 462 plate appearances last season, but it sounds as though he could be in line for even more this year after hitting .256/.336/.470 with 21 homers in 2018. Chris Taylor will start less frequently at second base but will still get starts around the diamond, particularly in left field.

I am pretty happy about this info. I drafted Kike as one of my "Swiss army knife" players, hoping he'd grab 400ish ABs this season. To find out he's going to be a starting 2B is pretty cool. 

What kind of numbers should we expect from Hernandez if he get get 550 ABs this season? RR has him hitting 6th, so maybe a .250-25-75 with a few SBs. I'll take that on my bench.

• Like 1

On 3/5/2019 at 10:22 AM, Sidearmer said:

I've always liked him as a player who given the chance could hit 25+ HR but he won't get enough playing time. If there are injuries and he falls into an every day role he's definitely a guy to consider picking up; but at this point, there's no reason to draft him.

Even before the report about him being expected to be the starting 2B, I disagree that there's no reason to draft him. He's a guy who can play multiple positions, and he's a guy who was going to get ABs...starting 2B or not. Prior to this latest news, I wouldn't have drafted him as a starter, but imo he would have been a valuable bench bat because of his versatility. 

20 Hrs in 400abs last year with MI and OF position eligibility and just won a starting gig...surprised there is no buzz anywhere for this guy. He also has a good OBP with a great nickname and song...

Edited by tonycpsu
  • Like 2

Has given me a Dozier type vibe since he's figured out RHP. Granted, Dozier without the 20 SB upside isn't super interesting. Though believe he's actually a better hitter than Dozier was at this stage in his career too. His pull tendency isn't quite as extreme and exploitable. He's a litter better vs breakers. Both guys were late bloomers.

Look forward what he can do with a full time gig. Instead of bouncing around the diamond getting infrequent PT. Not really even being able to get into a comfort zone.

People who drafted Scooter Gennett should be looking at this dude for a replacement. As he can match Scooters power numbers at least.

Edited by Slatykamora
  • Like 2

On ‎3‎/‎24‎/‎2019 at 9:22 PM, Slatykamora said:

Has given me a Dozier type vibe since he's figured out RHP. Granted, Dozier without the 20 SB upside isn't super interesting. Though believe he's actually a better hitter than Dozier was at this stage in his career too. His pull tendency isn't quite as extreme and exploitable. He's a litter better vs breakers. Both guys were late bloomers.

Look forward what he can do with a full time gig. Instead of bouncing around the diamond getting infrequent PT. Not really even being able to get into a comfort zone.

People who drafted Scooter Gennett should be looking at this dude for a replacement. As he can match Scooters power numbers at least.

scooped this guy in both leagues last night - I believe for 2 months he can keep many Scooter owners afloat with his substantial power and everyday starter status.

If he sees 550+ at bats this year we could be looking at some of the best value around.  On the whole most of his peripherals are about league average(exit velo, hard hit%, xwoba rtc) but his k/bb is elite, ranking 35th overall last year for players with 400+ PA.  If you look at all the names above him it is a mix of the best of the best and then quite a few contact first guys with little power(ketel Marte, Wilmer Flores etc).  Kike’s .213 iso last year separates him from that group and more in the elite company of the league best.

all he needs to do is recreate last year and just up his babip from .266 to the league average and we’re looking at a .280/.350 guy with 30 hrs at multiple positions.

• Like 3

There should be much more excitement for him. Lowered his K rate each year in the majors while maintaining a double digit walk rate. Average going up each year as well. R/L split looks good as he OPS'ed 833/780. 2nd half wRC+ was 127, with a 165 in Aug/Sept. His trend points to a chance at 275/350/500. With Turner and Pollock's injury history, I think he has the majority of his PA's either leading off or hitting 2nd. Over the last three years he only has 8 SB's, but has yet to be caught. From watching him play, he looks faster than a 3SB per year type guy. 

I think he goes .275/25/85/70/8

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

On 1/3/2019 at 2:57 PM, street sharks said:

Anyone else got their eye on Kike Hernandez? Seems to be improving vs lefties each year and evened out last season

I was browsing players randomly in January and noticed some changes Kiké made last season. A lot more patient approach. Wouldn't shock me at all if he broke out this year considering he'll get full time at bats

Edited by street sharks

Pretty nice opening day with two home runs. Now that he has an every day role, he could be in for a big year.

I literally missed out on him by 5 minutes, due to the Angels waiting forever to put Ohtani on the DL... Super Bummed out. 

Wishing I wouldn't have snagged this guy. We'll see how he does as the season unfolds. Not sure if he's the real deal or not.

3 minutes ago, lavaman said:

Wishing I wouldn't have snagged this guy. We'll see how he does as the season unfolds. Not sure if he's the real deal or not.

He was really good in limited time. Full-time gig. Never know 

22 minutes ago, Stickfig13 said:

He was really good in limited time. Full-time gig. Never know 

he is gonna be great!

Saw this last week on Twitter from baseballhq

Enrique Hernandez contact rate / ISO trend: 

2016:  70% / .134

2017:  73% / .205

2018:  81% / .214

19-ST: 92% / .308

choo choo!

Edited by HellToupee
  • Like 2

I added him the other day, then dropped him an hour before games started today, and immediately ran to pick him back up once the first ball left the yard.  He's definitely worth a look, and could provide 25+ HR power.  If he hits low in the order his counting stats won't be great, but the power could be very real.

Very glad I played this guy in my 12 teamer today on a whim.  I think I'll keep.  What's a realistic projection for him with a starting job?  Razzball, my usual go to for such things, has him at .262 with 19 HRs, 7 SB in 501 ABs which seems low after today 🤑

3 minutes ago, Trifecta said:

Very glad I played this guy in my 12 teamer today on a whim.  I think I'll keep.  What's a realistic projection for him with a starting job?  Razzball, my usual go to for such things, has him at .262 with 19 HRs, 7 SB in 501 ABs which seems low after today 🤑

He had 20+ HRs last year in sub-500 ABs. So if you can buy into the power output, that's roughly where you can start your proejction off IMO. 24-26?

• Like 2

1 hour ago, taobball said:

He had 20+ HRs last year in sub-500 ABs. So if you can buy into the power output, that's roughly where you can start your proejction off IMO. 24-26?

So does kiké have the taoball endorsement??