Sign in to follow this  
cjw3

Conforto, Aguilar or Gallo? WHIR

8-team 6x6 OPS 5 Keeper league. I'm planning on drafting two pitchers with my first two picks(43rd and 54th overall). For my 8th round pick(59th overall) I'm planning on draft either Conforto, Aguilar or Gallo. I'm leaning on taking a first basemen because after Aguilar and Gallo it looks like there's a huge drop off. What are your thoughts and in what order would you draft these bats?

Keepers:

2B- Baez

SS- T. Turner

3B- Machado

OF- Soto

OF- Benintendi

1 hour ago, cjw3 said:

8-team 6x6 OPS 5 Keeper league. I'm planning on drafting two pitchers with my first two picks(43rd and 54th overall). For my 8th round pick(59th overall) I'm planning on draft either Conforto, Aguilar or Gallo. I'm leaning on taking a first basemen because after Aguilar and Gallo it looks like there's a huge drop off. What are your thoughts and in what order would you draft these bats?

Keepers:

2B- Baez

SS- T. Turner

3B- Machado

OF- Soto

OF- Benintendi

I lean more towards Aguilar than the other two. I don't think he's as good as his first half or as bad as his second half. I have him pegged as a .260ish hitter with 30-35 HR and 100 RBI. After Aguilar, I'd go with Gallo before Conforto. 

I'll take all the thoughts on mine that I can get lol. 

• Thanks 1

Conforto, easy. Lowest risk in BA and will have equal power to Aguilar. Gallo is too much of a drain on BA. Conforto is a really good hitter and despite the slow start due to recovery from the shoulder injury, he showed his 2017 pace in the second half of last year. Conforto is an easy pick for me out of the three you mentioned, and he has great potential to be a breakout and jump into the next tier of outfielders in this his age 26 season.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

Conforto, easy. Lowest risk in BA and will have equal power to Aguilar. Gallo is too much of a drain on BA. Conforto is a really good hitter and despite the slow start due to recovery from the shoulder injury, he showed his 2017 pace in the second half of last year. Conforto is an easy pick for me out of the three you mentioned, and he has great potential to be a breakout and jump into the next tier of outfielders in this his age 26 season.

The difference is positional depth. If Conforto and Aguilar can produce similar stats, those stats are more valuable at a pretty thin 1B than they are in the OF. That makes Aguilar the easy choice for me. 

• Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

The difference is positional depth. If Conforto and Aguilar can produce similar stats, those stats are more valuable at a pretty thin 1B than they are in the OF. That makes Aguilar the easy choice for me. 

The problem with Aguilar is that plays for Milwaukee, a team that very quickly moves on from players if they struggle (Domingo Santana, who should have played over Ryan Braun). Aguilar did not have a good second half last season, so we're talking about a guy who has had one good half of a major league season, and they already have a log jam in the infield where they can easily replace him if he struggles. The Mets on the other hand will not be taking Conforto out of the lineup if he struggles. Conforto has shown that he can be productive for almost two seasons and that he is fully healthy and back from the injury. Let's not forget that Conforto was a top prospect that had big upside. No one said that about Aguilar, and again, he had a good first half of one season.

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

The problem with Aguilar is that plays for Milwaukee, a team that very quickly moves on from players if they struggle (Domingo Santana, who should have played over Ryan Braun). Aguilar did not have a good second half last season, so we're talking about a guy who has had one good half of a major league season, and they already have a log jam in the infield where they can easily replace him if he struggles. The Mets on the other hand will not be taking Conforto out of the lineup if he struggles. Conforto has shown that he can be productive for almost two seasons and that he is fully healthy and back from the injury. Let's not forget that Conforto was a top prospect that had big upside. No one said that about Aguilar, and again, he had a good first half of one season.

I like Conforto, but 1B is thin. And I don't believe Conforto will outproduce Aguilar that much, if he does at all. Let's not forget in 2017-2018, Aguilar produced .271-120-41-160 in 771 ABs. You mentioned 1/2 season twice...it's more than that. He was also very productive in 2017 when he played, putting up roughly 1/2 a season of ABs. And the whole "second half swoon" thing is overblown. In Aug-Sept he produced .271-29-10-34 in 52 games, which projects to .271-87-30-102 over a full season. 

I look at it this way...in a keeper league where some 1B are already being kept...and on a team that has a great start at OF like this one...what is more valuable? Conforto with pick 59 and whatever 1B he can get after that...or Aguilar at pick 59 and whatever OF he can get after that? Frankly, I think the better combo for him is Aguilar and an OF in the next round. 

I don't want to hijack the thread any further, so I'll just agree to disagree with you. Welcome to the forum, btw :). 

Edited by Flyman75
  • Thanks 1

Aguliar helped me win a championship last year you gotta go with him! The cheese head hits taters bro! And pass on those pitchers you're planning on going after, target more offense instead. That is what wins titles!! 

Last year is history folks

Jesus 2nd half was shaky

Conforto for me

Steamer has Jesus at .242 28 77

Tyler white might get that

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, HOOTIE said:

Last year is history folks

Jesus 2nd half was shaky

Conforto for me

Steamer has Jesus at .242 28 77

Tyler white might get that

No it wasn't. One month was shaky. Not even one month. It was a terrible 50AB stretch following the ASB that dropped his BA from .298 to .273. After that, he hit .276-26-9-31 in his final 170 AB (47 games). 

And Shandler has Aguilar at .269 35 103.

• Thanks 1

38 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

No it wasn't. One month was shaky. Not even one month. It was a terrible 50AB stretch following the ASB that dropped his BA from .298 to .273. After that, he hit .276-26-9-31 in his final 170 AB (47 games). 

And Shandler has Aguilar at .269 35 103.

1st half .995 ops

2nd half .760 ops

At any rate I call that a bit shaky

.250 25 75 maybe

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

1st half .995 ops

2nd half .760 ops

At any rate I call that a bit shaky

.250 25 75 maybe

At this point I'm kind of convincing myself that I should be drafting a 1B considering it's a 3 OF league and 4 UTIL(and I'm already keeping 2 OF). Would you pick Gallo over Aguilar?

I don't think you should necessarily worry if you wait on a 1B...every year value at 1B emerges. Personally, I would take Conforto just because I think he is the best overall hitter out of this group. Gallo and Aguilar have too many question marks for me.

help here?

Conforto for me. Think we see some regression from Aguilar and some progression from Conforto. Gallo is gallo, will help and hurt in areas were all aware of. I think highest floor and ceiling are both Conforto. 

Normally, I would say Conforto. I think he is primed to play so much better this year. But you already have two OFs, and that position is deep. Gotta go with Aguilar. 

Conforto. Aguilar is a one year wonder in my eyes. Conforto has the highest ceiling of the 3 and this will be his breakout year.

Help with mine?