Sign in to follow this  
ShowdownKing48

Who To Keep? 10 Team H2H 6x6

This is a 10-team h2h 6x6 categories league. You can keep up to 5 players, and players are kept at the round they were drafted in last year +1 round. Players drafted in the 1st round last year cannot be kept. Undrafted players are kept with the last available pick you have. If you keep multiple undrafted players, they take the next last available pick.

This is the second year we’re keeping players, but we are instituting 4 year contracts, so every player has 4 years of keeper eligibility left. I won the championship last year so I have the 10th overall selection (snake draft). I’m struggling to determine which 5 players to keep because I feel like I have a lot of valuable assets, but valuable assets are scattered throughout the rounds for each team (Jose Ramirez is an 18th round keeper for example). Anyway, here is the roster:

Player Name (keeper round value)

-Kris Bryant (not eligible)

-Max Scherzer (1st)

-Chris Sale (1st)

-Manny Machado (2nd)

-George Springer (2nd)

-Christian Yelich (3rd)

-Wil Myers (5th)

-Brad Hand (6th)

-Zack Greinke (8th)

-Raisel Iglesias (9th)

-Nicholas Castellanos (10th)

-J.T. Realmuto (13th)

-Blake Snell (14th)

-Gleyber Torres (20th)

-Luis Severino (21st)

-Eugenio Suarez (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Miguel Andujar (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Eloy Jimenez (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Patrick Corbin (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Jose Leclerc (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Will Smith (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Tyler Skaggs (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Dereck Rodriguez (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

My initial thoughts are that I keep Severino, Torres, and Snell without any questions asked because of their keeper values relative to their 2019 ADP. It’s really the other two spots I’m having trouble with. I’ve been thinking Realmuto and Corbin because Realmuto is likely to be the most valuable player at his position, and Corbin is another ADP value. But then again, I probably won’t have a shot at Scherzer, and most likely Yelich as well, with the 10th pick. By keeping 3 pitchers I’m giving myself a huge leg-up and can solely concentrate on hitting in the early rounds, but with Severino’s injury, would it be better to keep Corbin or Scherzer? Or is it better to keep Yelich or Realmuto? None of this is this guy or that guy, just my thoughts. Who are the best 5 players to keep relative to their keeper values? Thanks in advance for your help!

Realmuto

Yelich

Not Corbin

Suarez next

33 minutes ago, HOOTIE said:

Realmuto

Yelich

Not Corbin

Suarez next

Just curious, why not Corbin? He’s so cheap to keep and had a fantastic year last year and there’s no reason he can’t duplicate it, right?

2 hours ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

Just curious, why not Corbin? He’s so cheap to keep and had a fantastic year last year and there’s no reason he can’t duplicate it, right?

He's a nice pitcher but I doubt he repeats. Suarez seems much better

Leclerc will be a top 10 closer

Even andujar next

Plus 3 of 5 keepers pitchers risky

What's wrong with suarez?

5 hours ago, HOOTIE said:

He's a nice pitcher but I doubt he repeats. Suarez seems much better

Leclerc will be a top 10 closer

Even andujar next

Plus 3 of 5 keepers pitchers risky

What's wrong with suarez?

Nothing wrong with Suarez, 3B is just a very deep position in my opinion. As a Yankee fan I do love me some Andujar, but he doesn’t walk much and is a BA risk for that reason, though I think he’s a really good hitter regardless. Thanks for the input!

2 hours ago, Rush2112 said:

Machado, Yelich, Springer, Realmuto, Torres 

Springer? His keeper round isn’t a good value relative to his ADP this year. I can draft him in a later round than I would be keeping him.

Also, I noticed you said no pitchers. Any reason? 

I like Realmuto, Snell, Corbin, Torres. 

Those 4 are the best value IMO.  The key to keeper leagues is getting the best value for your players picked, freeing up the earlier rounds to draft the players put back.  IMO, keeping Torres in the 20th and pairing him with the 3rd round pick will most likely net a better return than keeping Yelich in 3rd and pairing him with player picked in the 20th.

Snell, Severino (if you can wait a little longer to see his rotator cuff issue), Suarez, Eloy (you said for next 4 years right?), yelich.

If you are dicey on Severino then go with realmuto 

57 minutes ago, TheTruth024 said:

I like Realmuto, Snell, Corbin, Torres. 

Those 4 are the best value IMO.  The key to keeper leagues is getting the best value for your players picked, freeing up the earlier rounds to draft the players put back.  IMO, keeping Torres in the 20th and pairing him with the 3rd round pick will most likely net a better return than keeping Yelich in 3rd and pairing him with player picked in the 20th.

@TheTruth024 Is there a 5th player you'd keep? Severino?

41 minutes ago, 2ndCitySox said:

Snell, Severino (if you can wait a little longer to see his rotator cuff issue), Suarez, Eloy (you said for next 4 years right?), yelich.

If you are dicey on Severino then go with realmuto 

@2ndCitySox I have until 3/10 to decide, so probably not long enough 😕 

2 minutes ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

@TheTruth024 Is there a 5th player you'd keep? Severino?

Sorry, thought I read 4.  My 5th would have been Severino, as that is extreme value.  However that shoulder injury is VERY worrisome.  MRI's have said its just inflammation, but that could linger all season.  Shoulder injuries to SP throwing arms are sometimes worse than elbows, because they can lead to other injuries and cant be fixed as easily as elbows it seems.  If you want to gamble on that arm and that he will stay healthy, I dont think anyone will fault you.  21st round for an Ace is extreme value.  If it was my team, I would actually keep Leclerc.  He just signed a contract extension with Texas, so the likelihood he remains the closer all year is high.  He has top 10 upside, and in a categories league, the saves are nice to get in the 19th round

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, TheTruth024 said:

If it was my team, I would actually keep Leclerc.  He just signed a contract extension with Texas, so the likelihood he remains the closer all year is high.  He has top 10 upside, and in a categories league, the saves are nice to get in the 19th round

Don't think I could bring myself to keep a closer. Leclerc has had one decent season but has been plagued with walk issues in the past, though I agree the contract extension should solidify him in the closers role, you just never  really know with relievers without a track record because each season is such a small sample size.

100% agree with the extreme value of keeping Severino...damn shoulder injury though!

I think you Corbin fans will wish you took Suarez or leclerc over him

Thank you for the help on mine. Being that you can keep these players for 4 years, I definitely would go Yelich at round 3. Hes going to be a borderline first round pick for the next 4 years. Then keep Snell at 14. I don't love keeping pitchers, but hes shown he can be dominant in the AL east and even if he doesn't replicate what he did last year, you still have a very solid pitcher at a very good round. My third keep would be at Torres round 20. I think hes going to be a very solid player going forward and you can't argue with round 20. My 4th keep would be Realmuto, under the assumption that you would be able to drop his contract if needed. If you are forced to keep Realmuto for 4 years I probably wouldn't, just because catchers are historically injury prone and not as consistent. But, for this year alone round 13 is a steal. Finally, id take a risk on Eloy at round 19. If he ends up becoming what people say he can become, you're going to want to have control over him right now.

So : Yelich, Snell, Torres, Realmuto, Jimenez 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, ScrappyDawg said:

Thank you for the help on mine. Being that you can keep these players for 4 years, I definitely would go Yelich at round 3. Hes going to be a borderline first round pick for the next 4 years. Then keep Snell at 14. I don't love keeping pitchers, but hes shown he can be dominant in the AL east and even if he doesn't replicate what he did last year, you still have a very solid pitcher at a very good round. My third keep would be at Torres round 20. I think hes going to be a very solid player going forward and you can't argue with round 20. My 4th keep would be Realmuto, under the assumption that you would be able to drop his contract if needed. If you are forced to keep Realmuto for 4 years I probably wouldn't, just because catchers are historically injury prone and not as consistent. But, for this year alone round 13 is a steal. Finally, id take a risk on Eloy at round 19. If he ends up becoming what people say he can become, you're going to want to have control over him right now.

So : Yelich, Snell, Torres, Realmuto, Jimenez 

A few people now have brought up Eloy. In the 19th round, that's very cheap, but is the risk worth it while not keeping a more proven player?

16 hours ago, ShowdownKing48 said:

-Manny Machado (2nd)

-Christian Yelich (3rd)

-J.T. Realmuto (13th)

-Blake Snell (14th)

-Gleyber Torres (20th)

-Luis Severino (21st)

-Eugenio Suarez (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

-Eloy Jimenez (undrafted, so 19th round at the latest)

Depends on how you want to compete. 

Have to keep the following:

Snell

Jimenez

Which to me leaves. I would pick the players in bold

Machado

Yelich

Realmuto

Torres

Severino

Suarez

43 minutes ago, mtblock said:

Depends on how you want to compete. 

Interesting statement. You can tell by my roster from last year that I dominated pitching, I had an army there for crying out loud. Going into last season I was prepared to compete like that as I kept Severino (21st), Greinke (9th), Keuchel (13th), and Elvis Andrus (16th) and then proceeded to take Scherzer with the 12th pick (2nd pick in round 2). Turns out only two of those keepers were worth anything, and I still won the championship, competing with pitching first, and hitting second. I made a few moves to acquire guys like Sale and Machado that really helped, but my keepers didn't really influence the outcome of my season. I think I can be even more dominant if I pick the right keepers this year, but the question begs, how important is it to make the right decision in who to keep? And it also begs the question, which foundation is best, hitting or pitching, with the continued decrease in starters who pitch deeper into games? I won with a strong pitching base (and it helps Yelich went OFF at the end of the season too, but you need a bit of luck, right?).

Also, multiple people have brought up Suarez now, so my question is, with 3B being so deep, is it advantageous to keep him? Will his production really improve from last season,  or will he have trouble even maintaining it? His HR/FB rate was really high at 23%, so he's due some regression, isn't he?

Suarez will hit fewer homers true

Steamer has him 28 89

Not that bad

I don't think 3b is deep once big boys are gone

Leclerc my 2nd choice

Texas just extended him

I think he will be too 7 myself