nlarsen777

Which SP is best if I have to keep them for 2 years?

5x5 15 team Roto $300 auction with 8 keepers

The keeper rules for my league state that the 30 most expensive contracts during the auction have to be kept for 2 years. Due to this I am stuck with a $22 Zack Godley and a $32 Lance McCullers and I only have about $70 to spend on the rest of my pitching staff. Obviously, I am in desperate need of an ace. Luckily, 7 of the top 10 SPs are available this year. Out of these starting pitchers who is the safest to bid on knowing that I have to keep them this year and next or should I just focus on cheap pitchers later in the draft and hope to get lucky...

Max Scherzer

Chris Sale

Justin Verlander

Geritt Cole 

Jacob deGrom

Corey Kluber

Blake Snell

Stephen Strasburg

... a big gap due to keepers...

Jameson Taillon

Chris Archer

Charlie Morton

Obviously Scherzer, though he will be very pricey lol.  I would not want any part of Strasburg on a 2 year deal at full price.  Verlander is probably too old to target for 2 years compared to the others.  The others are all fine depending on cost.

Typically the top 2-3 pitchers go from $50-60. The next 5 go for $35 to 50. So if I grab Scherzer or Sale I would have like $10-20 to spend on the rest of my pitching staff. I am in a tough spot. 

You are screwed.  You really have only 3 choices. 

1.  Go for a star and scrubs approach and hope you can build a staff via the free agent wire during the season.

2.  Go with mediocre guys throughout and hope for the best. 

3.  Load up on hitting and and bottom feeder pitchers and see if you can out club your opponents.

Personally, I never like the mediocrity approach.  Get talent and in the worst case it gives you a trading chip you can sell to someone down the road.  A bunch of 8-10 dollar pitchers is unlikely to win you anything and unlikely to offer much in the way of trade bait for rebuilding.

Other thing you might try is trading one of your bad pitching contracts for someone else's bad hitting contract if you like the prospect there better.

If it were me, I probably would see who is around and just try to grab the best players\values in the auction and see where it leads.  Target a top bat and a top pitcher and then just look for opportunities.

Could you swing Snell and Taillon? Not sure if $70 would do it. Otherwise you could grab Max or Sale and the a mid-tier guy,

Help here?

Posted (edited)

I love Taillon this year...if you can get him at a tolerable cost do it.

Of the top 7 I expect most will be too expensive...   the only one I would not want for two years is Strasburg.  I'd be ok with any of the rest depending on cost honestly.  Even Verlander, he's got 2 years left in the tank.  Take whoever among that group is cheapest (assume they are cheap enough).

Edited by LJJr

Depending on cost I think Cole and Tallion could be the value picks