SpecialFNK

Dansby Swanson 2019 Outlook

7 hours ago, sharpee said:

those who have been keeping up with him - what type of upside are we looking at this year? how about as he progresses into the prime of his career? 

Jeter is the comp that’s often been thrown around. Comps are silly but I do think if he totally figures it out his ceiling is a player like that.

2 hours ago, Letitbe793 said:

Jeter is the comp that’s often been thrown around. Comps are silly but I do think if he totally figures it out his ceiling is a player like that.

His ceiling is first ballot hall of famer. Nice!

(I'm kidding. I know what you mean. I think)

Edited by 2ndCitySox
  • Like 1

Hit a bomb this weekend but it's been a tough 10 days or so, I think he's like 6 for his last 33.  Anybody worried or just some bad luck?

10 minutes ago, boomzdaddy said:

Hit a bomb this weekend but it's been a tough 10 days or so, I think he's like 6 for his last 33.  Anybody worried or just some bad luck?

A little yes but he's quite streaky.  He'll go on a heater - bench until he heats up.  he also got robbed of a hit last night due to an awful official scoring call.  He legged out a grounder to third that was clearly a hit but they gave an error to Jose Ramirez.  Hopefully it gets stat corrected.

Edited by JetsAwesome
  • Like 1

Just keep an eye on his o-swing%. That's his correction. His career # is over 30, he's at a hair under 20 this season. If he has learned to lay off the low and away breaking stuff, he will be valuable. 

Edited by Bigfische
  • Like 3

Might sound a little crazy, but I’ve always seen an Alex Bregman type player in Swanson. Maybe more 25-15 than Bregman’s 30-10, but I think there’s a ton of upside still to come. 

Just now, mavsfan23 said:

Might sound a little crazy, but I’ve always seen an Alex Bregman type player in Swanson. Maybe more 25-15 than Bregman’s 30-10, but I think there’s a ton of upside still to come. 

He does. And last year he was well on his way until injury hampered him. His calling card is still defense, but he has a nice developing hit tool with some pop and speed. 

he's been so consistent this year - no real sustained cold streaks or super crazy hot streaks.   Just solid production every week.  He always gives you something.

47 minutes ago, Cheppy said:

Hasn’t been great since moving to the 2-hole.

Though some are big fans, that's definitely not something that everyone enjoys. 

• Haha 1

On 4/22/2019 at 11:36 AM, Bigfische said:

Just keep an eye on his o-swing%. That's his correction. His career # is over 30, he's at a hair under 20 this season. If he has learned to lay off the low and away breaking stuff, he will be valuable. 

Welp... his O-Swing is creeping back up, now at 26.8% for this year, which is still a nice improvement over last year but not a drastic improvement from '17 and '16.

O-Swing%

• 2016 – 28.8%
  • 2017 – 27.2%
  • 2018 – 36.5%
  • 2019 – 26.8%
  • Career – 30.9%

Thinking he's a drop until he maybe heats back up again? He got a breather tonight too.

• Like 2

Some signs of life the last two days. Overall, he still hasn't been great in the 2 hole (723 OPS), but if he stays there and maintains his statcast numbers, the last couple of games could be a sign of things to come and that there's going to be value there

Barrels - 17  (14)

Barrel % - 11.3% (9.2%)

Exit Velo - 90.6 (88.0)

Launch - 15.1 (18.6)

xBA - .280 (.298)

xSLG - .509 (.524)

Hard hit - 41.7 (40.7)

K % - 18.0 (24.6)

I was looking for a comp at the position and found someone similar. The numbers in (*)? Those are DeJong's

• Like 3

On 5/21/2019 at 12:26 AM, CFN said:

Welp... his O-Swing is creeping back up, now at 26.8% for this year, which is still a nice improvement over last year but not a drastic improvement from '17 and '16.

O-Swing%

• 2016 – 28.8%
  • 2017 – 27.2%
  • 2018 – 36.5%
  • 2019 – 26.8%
  • Career – 30.9%

Thinking he's a drop until he maybe heats back up again? He got a breather tonight too.

Of course, since I posted this he’s been going berserk. 

I know Statcast loves him, as his projected numbers are higher than they are. So he's definitely hitting the ball well.

No one talking about Dansby Swanson, who has emerged as a borderline top 10 SS. Locked into the 2 spot in a good Braves lineup, on pace for the following statline:

85 runs, 33 HR, 112 RBI, 14 SB

He's 85% of the way to his career high in HR (14) with about 4 months go. I'd be shocked if he actually hit 33 homers, but would 25+ surprise anyone at this point? Would it be shocking if he flirted with 100 RBI? 

12 minutes ago, mjb03003 said:

CRICKETS?!?!

About as quiet as a breakout season can get. This isn't a prediction, but it is a current pace - 35 HR, 114 RBI, 90 runs, 16 SB, .270/.323/.509

Edited by Baseball Batman
Typo
  • Like 2