turner46

Jacob deGrom 2019 Outlook

Mets have to be kicking themselves for extending him during the offseason.  That was a really really bad move.

Posted (edited)

I don’t know who this guy Is so take it with a grain of salt unless you know him. He has a verified Twitter.

it says he threw Friday and felt fine

why would they let him throw if he has a sore elbow. 

His name is Tim Healey

• DEix77js_bigger.jpg

Updated Jacob deGrom story: —He is NOT going to New York, will stay with the team this weekend —He is scheduled for an MRI Monday —He threw a bit Friday and felt fine

Edited by Under500Forever

Just now, Under500Forever said:

I don’t know who this guy Is so take it with a grain of salt unless you know him. He has a verified Twitter.

it says he threw Friday and felt fine

why would they let him throw if he has a sore elbow. 

• DEix77js_bigger.jpg

Updated Jacob deGrom story: —He is NOT going to New York, will stay with the team this weekend —He is scheduled for an MRI Monday —He threw a bit Friday and felt fine

Gary Cohen confirmed earlier that he is staying with the team and will get the MRI on Monday. He also said the team isn't worried.

And earlier someone had said during the broadcast that Degrom said his elbow was already feeling much better. I don't believe he threw today though. That seems a little far fetched. 

I'm feeling much better about this whole thing now. If they thought that their 100 million dollar arm was in any significant danger they would've probably sent him for the MRI already. Especially with the GM also being his former agent. 

• Like 1

I honestly think he is ok. He’s had MRI’s like this before and he came out of it ok. 

If Fantasy Geek is correct and they did an MRI before he signed the extension then maybe this has nothing to do with TJ. 

we obviously can’t trust anything the Mets say but is it normal for teams to give pitchers an MRI on their elbows before they sign extensions/contracts? 

1 minute ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Gary Cohen confirmed earlier that he is staying with the team and will get the MRI on Monday. He also said the team isn't worried.

And earlier someone had said during the broadcast that Degrom said his elbow was already feeling much better. I don't believe he threw today though. That seems a little far fetched. 

I'm feeling much better about this whole thing now. If they thought that their 100 million dollar arm was in any significant danger they would've probably sent him for the MRI already. Especially with the GM also being his former agent. 

I agree. Having him throw the day after his elbow was “barking” seems a bit crazy but it is the Mets we are talking about.

Hopefully he’s feeling better. 

I honestly feel better about this now then I did when I first heard it. Let him go on IL and hopefully he will be back on the 26th. 

1 minute ago, Under500Forever said:

I honestly think he is ok. He’s had MRI’s like this before and he came out of it ok. 

If Fantasy Geek is correct and they did an MRI before he signed the extension then maybe this has nothing to do with TJ. 

we obviously can’t trust anything the Mets say but is it normal for teams to give pitchers an MRI on their elbows before they sign extensions/contracts? 

I think Steve Gelbs was the one who said he had the MRI done. It was a part of a question he was asking Jim Duquette. I thought it was weird that they would do an MRI but thinking about it, it does make sense. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, elsegundo said:

"The Mets believe the issue is minor."

Given their medical staff that sounds like the kiss of death.

7 hours ago, Eddie Mush said:

To clarify: Jacob deGrom is not on his way to NY. He will stay in St. Louis and fly back with the team on Sunday. MRI scheduled for Monday.- Steve Gelbs

Any other organization and they would even their scrubs getting an MRI right away even if they though tit might be minor because they err on the side of caution.  But the Mets?  Nope.  Save a plane fare back and let him ride back with the team.

Matt Harvey 2.0. A LOT of people forget that Harvey was the best pitcher in baseball for a season or two. The Mets just overwork these guys to death. There was absolutely nothing to play for last season and they got him going 9 innings every week for shutouts lmao 

8 minutes ago, MrPositive said:

Matt Harvey 2.0. A LOT of people forget that Harvey was the best pitcher in baseball for a season or two. The Mets just overwork these guys to death. There was absolutely nothing to play for last season and they got him going 9 innings every week for shutouts lmao 

Outside of the fact that he only pitched 8 innings once in September, you’ve got a great point

• Haha 2

Maybe I'm just an optimist, but the Dodgers used the 10-day IL last year just to skip a single start for extra rest. The Mets may be doing the same thing.  As long as a pitcher needs one start off, you might as well IL him, since it's 9-10 days until his next outing.

That goes away next year when the IL reverts to 15 days.

Manager Mickey Callaway said that DeGrom (elbow) may not require the MRI that the right-hander was slated to undergo Monday, Matt Ehalt of The Bergen Record reports.

Spin: The update comes after deGrom was spotted playing catch on the outfield prior to the Mets' game Saturday against the Cardinals. DeGrom was expected to be shut down from throwing until he had the MRI, but the Mets' team doctors apparently signed off the ace taking part in some light activity. That development offers optimism that even if deGrom ends up receiving the MRI, any scans may just be precautionary more than anything else. DeGrom remains on the 10-day injured list and won't be eligible to return until April 26, but it's still unclear if he'll be on track for activation in the minimum amount of time.

Where there is smoke, there is fire. I'll never forget the Mets said Ike Davis was "day-to-day" for 5 months of the season.

• Haha 3

The fact that this is the Mets makes me paranoid. First it was strep, then he needs and MRI, now he maybe doesn't.

No inside info but reminds me of Syndergaard two years ago where he talked them into lettting him pitch and then went down for the year. 

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, CuredMeats said:

The fact that this is the Mets makes me paranoid. First it was strep, then he needs and MRI, now he maybe doesn't.

• Like 2
  • Haha 4

I'm fully anticipating we find out he's actually been dead for weeks.

• Like 1
  • Haha 8

1 hour ago, Bravesfan155 said:

I'm fully anticipating we find out he's actually been dead for weeks.

spacer.png

• Haha 4

3 hours ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Outside of the fact that he only pitched 8 innings once in September, you’ve got a great point

Ya, I got a little overzealous there on memory. Still 217 innings in a lost season is ridiculous in my opinion. Harvey in his great season was 178IP. So they had Degrom pitch 40 more innings than Harvey's best season. They literally learned nothing!

Posted (edited)
2 hours ago, Bravesfan155 said:

Manager Mickey Callaway said that DeGrom (elbow) may not require the MRI that the right-hander was slated to undergo Monday, Matt Ehalt of The Bergen Record reports.

Spin: The update comes after deGrom was spotted playing catch on the outfield prior to the Mets' game Saturday against the Cardinals. DeGrom was expected to be shut down from throwing until he had the MRI, but the Mets' team doctors apparently signed off the ace taking part in some light activity. That development offers optimism that even if deGrom ends up receiving the MRI, any scans may just be precautionary more than anything else. DeGrom remains on the 10-day injured list and won't be eligible to return until April 26, but it's still unclear if he'll be on track for activation in the minimum amount of time.

Oh my God you can't write a fictional sitcom about an inept baseball medical staff to beat the real life "Mets Medical Staff" which by just writing those three words together sounds like an oxymoron.

Mets Med Staff:  "Yeah deGrom IS our ace of aces and we did just give him a big contract but what the hey let him play catch and forget an MRI even for precautionary purposes because we can see that his arm is still kind of attached to his body so he should be fine."

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

15 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Oh my God you can't write a fictional sitcom about an inept baseball medical staff to beat the real life "Mets Medical Staff" which by just writing those three words together sounds like an oxymoron.

Mets Med Staff:  "Yeah deGrom IS our ace of aces and we did just give him a big contract but what the hey let him play catch and forget an MRI even for precautionary purposes because we can see that his arm is still kind of attached to his body so he should be fine."

Dude... calm down! I double and triple checked on WebMD and Degrom will be just fine!

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

46 minutes ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

Dude... calm down! I double and triple checked on WebMD and Degrom will be just fine!

The same "service" the Mets Med Staff uses no doubt.  Good one.

On 4/21/2019 at 7:22 AM, The Big Bat Theory said:

The same "service" the Mets Med Staff uses no doubt.  Good one.

You've got....leprosy.

Image result for simpsons leprosy

• Haha 1

On 4/20/2019 at 11:41 AM, MrPositive said:

Matt Harvey was what? LOL

• Haha 1