al3x

Martin Perez 2019 Outlook

I noticed an article on MLB.com about Martin Perez and his increased velocity. Last year his average fastball velocity was around 92.8 mph so far this spring it has been at 95 mph and maxing out at 97 mph. He has also been emphasizing his cutter. They are saying these changes are due to a change in his mechanics(using his hips more than trying to throw hard) and being mentored by Johan Santana. Is anyone buying into the hype. I feel that he is going undrafted in most leagues and if he can finally gain some control we may all be in for a surprise. 

https://www.mlb.com/news/martin-perez-has-increased-velocity-with-new-mechanics

Edited by al3x
  • Like 1

I will consider him as a wild card with the last dollar in my deep league if the results keep coming, but this guy has SUCKED after being a touted prospect. I know, I drafted him as that prospect. He saved my butt by starting out hot with a CG or two in 2014 (points league w/bonus for CG) and I promptly traded him away for a 1st round prospect pick. He went down with TJ surgery like two weeks later. He has always been entirely too hittable and walks too many people. The division that he is in should help, but he better have really found something. Usually the uptick in velocity comes with some loss of control. That is something that he can't afford.

Edited by drunkb

The next Charlie Morton? Hard to say if this is anything yet, but I’ll be more intrigued if the velo increase is maintained over his next couple of outings.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, meh2 said:

The next Charlie Morton? Hard to say if this is anything yet, but I’ll be more intrigued if the velo increase is maintained over his next couple of outings.

I was thinking more Cliff Lee 2.0 random turnaround.

10 hours ago, drunkb said:

I will consider him as a wild card with the last dollar in my deep league if the results keep coming, but this guy has SUCKED after being a touted prospect. I know, I drafted him as that prospect. He saved my butt by starting out hot with a CG or two in 2014 (points league w/bonus for CG) and I promptly traded him away for a 1st round prospect pick. He went down with TJ surgery like two weeks later. He has always been entirely too hittable and walks too many people. The division that he is in should help, but he better have really found something. Usually the uptick in velocity comes with some loss of control. That is something that he can't afford.

I mean that's great n all, but when you change your mechanics which ticks up your velocity and add a cutter, you're kind of a different pitcher. Eovaldi relies on big heat and added a cutter. He did great last year after doing so

So go hitting, draft a few pitchers with your last few picks. If they don't cut it, start streaming until you find someone that sticks. H2H Gold. I guarantee you could pick perez up almost anywhere... Free.

Edit: I also drafted this guy a while back.

Edit Edit: no one cares

Edited by dkrocka

i've seen people mention he's throwing harder now, but what gains are we talking? he's maxed out over 97 multiple times in the past, and by month in 2018 he averaged 95 mph toward the end of the season. you can play around with timelines and see that over his career he's hovered around 94 and touched 97 almost every year in his career. has he really added/changed anything?

for those wondering, the sample size for september of 2018 was small (14.2 IP), but if we're considering the 9 IP he's thrown in spring training to be indicative of anything,  i think 14 IP from last season is certainly on the table.

average mph by month in 2018.

image.png.723400ee0c1e078c94da216b7ef0f1ce.png

• Thanks 1

Having a chance to learn from two time Cy Young winner Johan Santana might have some impact too.  From what the article implied, the change was making him more efficient. He says the mechanics change has allowed him to get out of an innings throwing less pitches.  So the using his lower body/hips might be more than just the mph on his pitches.  Athletes need a positive spin on what why are doing for their mental game. At least he is not claiming to be in the best shape of his life.

• Like 1

had a few starts so far to start the season. some good and some not so good obviously. what are people's thoughts here? his last start was encouraging but do we think that uptick in velo + cutter + mentorship from former cy youngs can help make him fantasy relevant? 

His new cutter is nasty and only started upping the usage last start. But I don't see a great swing and miss pitch so the K's might not be there. 

man, yet another impressive outing against the stros. are what we're seeing legit? 

Perez has my attention. In his three non-starts to open the season, he pitched 8.1 innings, allowing 20 baserunners and 7 ER, K-ing 12. Since then in his four starts (Hou, Bal, @Bal, Tor), he's got a 2.08 ERA and 1.08 WHIP across 26 innings, but the Ks dip down to 18. 

Two start pitcher next week @ Toronto and vs. Detroit. What the hell, I’ve made dumber moves...

I streamed him tonight in my 18 team dynasty and will be holding for the two start week next week.  I watched some of the start and his cutter plays so well off his fastball.  He pitched inside very effectively, forcing a lot of pop ups and ground balls. 

Edited by StarlinCastro

20 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

Does this dude remind anyone of Johan just a bit?

They both throw left handed.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

How so? Besides southpaw and Twins. Lol. 

Edited by Flyman75

1 hour ago, CraftyRighty said:

Yes. 👀

• Like 2

14 swings and misses tonight. Was in complete control all night.

• Like 1

He might be a gem of a find.

Wasn't he a highly ranked prospect back in the day....maybe he took some time to find his groove.

4 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Picked up as a streamer but now I’m confused as f---.

Don’t be confused - keep him.  Introduced a new cutter, which he throws with superb command, and has dominated with it.  Learned how to unlock dormant velocity under Santana’s tutelage and by releasing and leveraging his hip torsion.  Former blue-chip prospect.  Just hold and enjoy the ride now.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1