al3x

Martin Perez 2019 Outlook

I wonder how long it will take the fantasy ranker's to respond to his success. He is not highly ranked but that doesn't mean he hasn't figured something out......Im holding.

I’m actually very interested based on what I’ve read on game day forum.  For the record,I’m not trying to be difficult, although anyone that questions things on these forums might come across that way.  I’m looking for clarification and information, not conflict.  A few questions based on what I’m reading here. Maybe someone smarter than me can answer. 

1) if Santana is such a great coach, why isn’t he working with more people? (Admitngly I know nothing about this.)

2) based on stats cast, his fb looks extremely mediocre.  League average velocity and below average spin rate.  If he doesn’t locate it, won’t it get crushed? Especially with what looks like a high walk rate.  I get that guys can be stars with sub par fb, but don’t they have elite command and control?

3) If unlocking a 3rd  pitch ( that only took 2.5 months) is so effective, why don’t more people do this? (This might seem stupid, but I just don’t get it)

4) I’m seeing Santana on this thread,but that can’t be true.  What is a reasonable comp based on his improvement?

5) how the hell did professional talent scouts miss such a breakout,but everyone on the roto world forum seems to see it?  And I mean that extremely respectfully and not in any offensive way at all. Wasnt he an absolute bargain basement signing?

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

5) how the hell did professional talent scouts miss such a breakout,but everyone on the roto world forum seems to see it?  And I mean that extremely respectfully and not in any offensive way at all. Wasnt he an absolute bargain basement signing?

Pitching is complex. Part physics, part psychology, part sabremetrics, part plain old hard work. 

Many top prospects never put it all together, many less heralded pitchers do. 

And lastly - I believe I did read he was dealing late second half post all star break ... plz don’t quote me here but I’m not know to pass misguided info - hope everyone got some shares

Was kind of pumped to win this guy on waivers this morning.  28 years old and former top prospect in Texas where he had flashes of being good but never consistently put it together and missed time due to TJ surgery.  I'm buying though.  I've been intrigued by this situation since February.  He was brought over by Thad Levine who was the former GM of the Rangers.  He never really had good coaching nor been in a great pitching environment.  Fast forward to Minnesota in a much better pitching park with a pitching coach who has really turned around this entire pitching staff as a whole and getting mentored by Johan Santana helps out a lot too.  In addition, ditching his slider for a cutter is doing him wonders.  I know beating Toronto is nothing but he was excellent vs Houston and has been absolutely killing it in the last month.  

On 5/6/2019 at 6:52 PM, octapuss said:

He might be a gem of a find.

Wasn't he a highly ranked prospect back in the day....maybe he took some time to find his groove.

It was many years ago, but yes at one point a lot of scouts had him projected as one of the top lefties in the minors.  He was brought up extremely young too.  He has always had the talent, so I'm buying here and if I'm wrong I'm not out very much. 

• Like 1

For the people who don't know what's going on with Perez: 

He was sitting in free agency. There was no 2nd half break out or anything. Minny needed a #5. Their pitching coach saw Perez and thought he could add velocity with a tweak in delivery so they signed him. They tweaked the delivery and it worked. Now his four seam and sinker are 95-97. But his four seam still gets hit and that usage has been trending down. The real difference was that he learned a cutter from Odorizzi. There are quotes from Odorizzi saying he literally changed Perez's hand position on the baseball and the first cutter he threw worked. So now he has velo + a cutter. Minny's pitching coach is really smart so the cutter usage is trending up. This has nothing to do with Johan lol.

His most used pitch is now the cutter. It has a .199 xwoba which makes it basically one of the best pitches in baseball (among SPs). So this guy Perez might as well be a completely different human being from the guy that was a top prospect. The only thing you can hold up from the past evaluations is that he's still quite athletic and can maintain his new delivery, so that's a good sign for the future. The K's will not be huge though. 

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

Placed on paternity list and won't pitch Saturday.

Scheduled for Sunday and still expected to make that start 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

4 minutes ago, PhilsPhan90 said:

Placed on paternity list and won't pitch Saturday.

But I think he's still supposed to pitch Sunday.  Hooray for my opponent!

6 hours ago, mehtavg2000 said:

But I think he's still supposed to pitch Sunday.  Hooray for my opponent!

Hooray for perezs opponent not changing.

why does yahoo have him pitching tonight's game in the 2nd game of the double header?

yahoo doesn't list anything about him on paternity list, despite listing him as NA.

2 minutes ago, octapuss said:

He got lite up by Detroit. 7k's though 

Pablo Lopez owners would like to have a word with you regarding your definition of lit up.

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, octapuss said:

"Lit up" is a bit of an exaggeration. Disappointing sure but 3 ER over 5, 1.2 whip and 7 K isn't exactly a week ruiner for a guy we all got for free. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, octapuss said:

“Lite (sic) up”?!  No.  Give the man a break.  He probably barely got any sleep last night - and he was on cruise control after the first inning or so.  The Dixon homer should’ve been a called strike three.

3 minutes ago, BMcP said:

“Lite (sic) up”?!  No.  Give the man a break.  He probably barely got any sleep last night - and he was on cruise control after the first inning or so.  The Dixon homer should’ve been a called strike three.

Exactly. Still got 7ks and although 3 runs wasn’t helpful he most likely was a bit sluggish just having a baby. I would gladly snatch him up in any league if a manager dropped him after today. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

The Dixon homer should’ve been a called strike three.

Dang - that would be an amazing play to listen to from the announcers. "It's going back, back, back - and it's called strike three!!!".

• Haha 3

4 minutes ago, Dark One said:

Dang - that would be an amazing play to listen to from the announcers. "It's going back, back, back - and it's called strike three!!!".

Or just “Strike Three”!  Ump blew the call because of too much movement from Astudillo.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Or just “Strike Three”!  Ump blew the call because of too much movement from Astudillo.

LOL - I know, was just having some fun with the way you phrased it.

• Haha 1

I assume people are trying to sell this guy before he goes back to being Martin Perez. Right?

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

I assume people are trying to sell this guy before he goes back to being Martin Perez. Right?

With his new found cutter, I'm not so sure he goes back to Martin Perez.  Other players are commenting on how effective the pitch has been, teammates and opponents.

he's allowed far less hard contact (33.0% this year compared to 41.4% last year) and an improved strikeout rate (22.8% compared to a 14.4% career rate). The new thing to hang our proverbial hat on is a cutter, a pitch Perezintroduced this year that he is throwing 34.8% of the time. This has led to an above average chase rate (33.6%) and career-high swinging strike rate (11.0%). On this cutter, opposing hitters have managed zero home runs, a .017 ISO, a 26.6% strikeout rate, and a .100 batting average

I'm buying this guy until he proves me wrong.

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

With his new found cutter, I'm not so sure he goes back to Martin Perez.  Other players are commenting on how effective the pitch has been, teammates and opponents.

he's allowed far less hard contact (33.0% this year compared to 41.4% last year) and an improved strikeout rate (22.8% compared to a 14.4% career rate). The new thing to hang our proverbial hat on is a cutter, a pitch Perezintroduced this year that he is throwing 34.8% of the time. This has led to an above average chase rate (33.6%) and career-high swinging strike rate (11.0%). On this cutter, opposing hitters have managed zero home runs, a .017 ISO, a 26.6% strikeout rate, and a .100 batting average

I'm buying this guy until he proves me wrong.