joebaker23

Baker Mayfield 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

Mayfield making a decision when his first read is unavailable and he has to extend the play:

source.gif

  • Like 1
  • Haha 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
40 minutes ago, PizzaBeerFF said:

He abandons the pocket too quickly.

 

I noticed that too on the last play of theirs. Literally couldve stepped up for a better throw but ran as fast as he could from the edge rush. They need to ride nick chubb and setup the play action hard.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What the hell changed with this guy from last year? Everything on paper looked so good coming into this season. Tell myself not to reach for QB every year and wind up doing it anyway (although it has worked with Mahomes).

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, Finisher said:

What the hell changed with this guy from last year? Everything on paper looked so good coming into this season. Tell myself not to reach for QB every year and wind up doing it anyway (although it has worked with Mahomes).

Nothing changed. People bought into the hype like they always do. He had the same erratic tendencies last year but people over looked it because he made some nice plays.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
19 minutes ago, Finisher said:

What the hell changed with this guy from last year? Everything on paper looked so good coming into this season. Tell myself not to reach for QB every year and wind up doing it anyway (although it has worked with Mahomes).

Browns gonna Browns...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple things happening here. The line and play calling combo aren’t meshing very well. Teams are playing them differently than last year now that Odell is on the field. 2 out of 3 games against good defenses, and the Jets with Gregg Williams had a good game plan for what they like to do. The first half of the schedule is brutal but if you can get through that he has a really favorable schedule down the stretch. 2 games against the Bengals and Steelers who are bad against the pass plus games against the Dolphins and Cardinals. If you can play matchups until then I think he’ll be a really strong fantasy playoffs QB. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, FootballOutsider said:

A couple things happening here. The line and play calling combo aren’t meshing very well. Teams are playing them differently than last year now that Odell is on the field. 2 out of 3 games against good defenses, and the Jets with Gregg Williams had a good game plan for what they like to do. The first half of the schedule is brutal but if you can get through that he has a really favorable schedule down the stretch. 2 games against the Bengals and Steelers who are bad against the pass plus games against the Dolphins and Cardinals. If you can play matchups until then I think he’ll be a really strong fantasy playoffs QB. 

Gardner Minshew looked better against Titans with worse weapons

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any chance they fire kitchens or the oc before the season ends if they keep losing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Well this definitely doesn't sound too promising for Mayfield, Beckham, Chubb and Landry owners...

Still learning the ropes of calling plays?

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/09/23/freddie-kitchens-admits-that-hes-still-learning-how-to-call-plays/

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I feel like Baker tries to force it Odell too often instead of making the correct, sometimes, safer throw. That, and the o-line isnt that good. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

It's not that the O-line isn't that good, it's that it's terrible. The main hope is that they gradually start to knit together over the next three or four weeks, and that they come back after the bye looking...well...adequate.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I think I’m going to cut him this week. Their next four games aren’t easy and there’s a bye week in between as well. Hopefully he can turn it around at some point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
13 minutes ago, Gmen07 said:

I think I’m going to cut him this week. Their next four games aren’t easy and there’s a bye week in between as well. Hopefully he can turn it around at some point. 

Yep it is not looking good. He will likely come around eventually (see Russell Wilson the last few year) and I may pick him back up later if someone hasn't already. For 2-3 years in a row Wilson sucked to start the season only to get his grove in the last half.

Too many weapons on CLE for Mayfield to keep sucking but his match-up isn't great this week.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Raahard Higgins and Antonio calloways should be back soon.

This is true but I don't have room to carry 2 QBs. I may regret dropping him as his hype is up there but it is costing me games. Time to move on for now and maybe pick him up later this year when the schedule looks a bit better.  Weeks 10-15 or so could be decent for him but then week 16 is BAL.

 

Week 8 and 9 he's on the road at NE and DEN.  Those could be rough games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...