Sign in to follow this  
Bastardo!

Chris Herndon 2019 Outlook

Outside of the usual suspects the TE position is a hot mess. When Vernon Adams starts to look appealing....

Glad I'm on this train. He can't come back fast enough. The nice thing is his bye week will also be done.

4 hours ago, jumboJET85 said:

Two weeks away! Pick him up while you still can 

Agree.   Don't think that there aren't a few teams trying to figure out when to pull the trigger.

If your league is FAAB, don't wait until you have to pay up for him. 

46 minutes ago, Big Nate said:

Outside of the usual suspects the TE position is a hot mess. When Vernon Adams starts to look appealing....

Glad I'm on this train. He can't come back fast enough. The nice thing is his bye week will also be done.

Who's Vernon Adams?

• Haha 2

49 minutes ago, K197040 said:

Agree.   Don't think that there aren't a few teams trying to figure out when to pull the trigger.

If your league is FAAB, don't wait until you have to pay up for him. 

Yup. I just scooped him up after waivers ran last night. Very good schedule a little later in the year. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, aapox said:

Herndon or Hooper after week 6? How close is it?

Hooper by a lot.

• Thanks 1

25 minutes ago, sSektor said:

Hooper by a lot.

but herndon will be a great bye week fill in for hooper (@ mia).

1 hour ago, gbill2004 said:

Who's Vernon Adams?

Ex-oregon ducks QB. but i think he meant Vernon Davis

1 hour ago, NBatum88 said:

Ex-oregon ducks QB. but i think he meant Vernon Davis

Holy smokes did I mess that one up. Haha yeah Vernon Davis. But man Vernon Adams is lighting it up for MTL in the CFL right now.  

• Like 1

It’s simple

He’s a TE 1 who does not have a bye week

Even if you have a TE you pick Herndon up

Just now, clarkevii said:

It’s simple

He’s a TE 1 who does not have a bye week

Even if you have a TE you pick Herndon up

How is he a te1? Has not practiced all year and not in game shape yet he comes out catching 10 balls?

Yea idk why the hype is so large for this guy.. Last year he had 3 games over 10 points in .5 ppr...whats going to be different that makes him a TE1?

1 minute ago, Dr. Whom said:

How is he a te1? Has not practiced all year and not in game shape yet he comes out catching 10 balls?

Yeah I think it's premature to anoint him a strong TE1 yet. TE is a mess this year, I don't even know who is a TE1 this year. There are a couple guys you can count on and then a huge pool of guys who are good some games and completely MIA other games. Just wildly volatile. If Herndon actually shows some consistency that's huge this year. 

The TE landscape is bare and he showed promise last season.  Plus, all of us OJ Howard owners are desperate!

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Because Id rather own him over Vance McDonald, OJ Howard, Jared Cook Or Delanie Walker

Take a look at his stats in the second half of last year: Low end TE1

Take a look at his schedule: Miami 2xs, Cincy, Washington, Oakland

No BYE 

Darnold comes back

GO GET HIM NOW

Edited by clarkevii
  • Like 1

For what it's worth, I'm a Jets fan and have seen most of his games last season, along with their games this season. I would pump the brakes on the Herndon hype.

In 2018, he was the #16 TE. He accomplished that as a rookie, so perhaps some think that he will continue to progress well. 
But last year, he didn't have Bell and Crowder to compete with for targets. 
Plus the Jets in 2019 have A LOT of uncertainty at QB. Will Darnold definitely be back in Week 5? Will he stay healthy with his spleen being a question mark?
Plus the 2019 Jets stink. Their offensive line is horrible and they haven't looked good as a team. Starting 3 QB's in 3 weeks is a big part of that for sure, but they didn't look good in Week 1 with Darnold either.

And going back to Herndon's 2018 production, he was as inconsistent as they come. He had 8 games with 2 catches or fewer & 31 yards or less.
Plus he had another game with 1 catch and 16 yards...though that catch was a TD.
He had 5+ catches in 2 of 16 games. 
Now to play slight devil's advocate, he did get better as the season progressed. The majority of his terrible games were the first several games of his career.
But the Jets stink, and TE across the league is doing better than in 2018. 
I'm not saying Herndon is not worth a pickup, as depending on your roster, it may be viable. But I'd hold off on thinking he will solve one's TE woes just like that.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

Yea idk why the hype is so large for this guy.. Last year he had 3 games over 10 points in .5 ppr...whats going to be different that makes him a TE1?

I'm not proclaiming him anything yet but as a stash and at a position of need I'm hoping for the best.

TE is a wasteland this year outside a couple guys.  What a mess.

42 minutes ago, Zekepeak86 said:

The hype is pretty large when you're starting a rotating cast of Vernon Davis, Vernon Adams, Antonio Gates, and OJ Howard

• Like 1

Just now, cs3 said:

The hype is pretty large when you're starting a rotating cast of Vernon Davis, Vernon Adams, Antonio Gates, and OJ Howard

Haha love it. This is A+

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, clarkevii said:

Because Id rather own him over Vance McDonald, OJ Howard, Jared Cook Or Delanie Walker

Take a look at his stats in the second half of last year: Low end TE1

Take a look at his schedule: Miami 2xs, Cincy, Washington, Oakland

No BYE 

Darnold comes back

GO GET HIM NOW

He also flashed last year as a rookie with a rookie QB throwing to him. They were also indications of strong chemistry between, a lot of trust and confidence.

Going into Week 4 of the season Herndon is definitely one of the higher upside dice rolls on the ww. 

• Like 2

I would think the addition of Crowder and Bell would only help Herndon.  Not only because it would provide him more space to operate with as those guys would have coverage shaded towards them, but just in the sheer volume of additional plays he would get with the offense staying on the field with extended drives.  But I may be overly optimistic, as I'm in the same dumpster fire of a Tight End situation as everyone else who is looking at him.

2 hours ago, Corleone said:

For what it's worth, I'm a Jets fan 

Will Darnold definitely be back in Week 5? 

Plus the 2019 Jets stink.

they didn't look good in Week 1 with Darnold either.

But I'd hold off on thinking he will solve one's TE woes just like that.

It’s looking less likely that Darnold is back.  It’s Tuesday and he’s still not cleared for contact.  They’re sending him for more imaging tests today I think.  

The Jets offense in week 1 was ok imo.  You have to consider they were playing Buffalo who just handed Brady a pretty bad fantasy day.  The Jets schedule in November is great.

I don’t think Herndon “will solve” the TE spot for you, but he’s likely has the highest TE upside on the waiver wire.  

Edited by Iron-cock
  • Like 2

Putting in for him on waivers and dumping OJ Howard.  He will fill in for Waller next week when Raiders on BYE.

Better than OJ filling in, IMO.  *shrug*