brockpapersizer

Caleb Smith 2019 Outlook

2 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

I never said the sky is falling.  Actually I said the opposite with my “he’s not killing ratios” comment.  I was just responding to the poster who claimed he was only valuable in QS leagues.  He hasn’t been great in that format lately.  That’s not to say he can’t turn things around.  My guess is he ends up being a serviceable fantasy starter the rest of the way but not the stud that he looked like earlier.

Smith has the 5th-highest K% in MLB at 31.5% behind only Cole, Snell, Sale and Scherzer.  4th-highest swinging strike rate too.  Has given up more than 3 runs twice in 12 starts.  I wouldn't read into the home/road splits for that small of a sample size.

He hasn't pitched more than 5.1 innings in any of his last 5 starts which is is the only real concern I have with him at this point, but before that he had 6 straight starts going 6+ innings so I don't think that's a major concern either.

• Like 2

I’m starting to worry he’s hitting a wall in terms of stamina. Is this normal for someone coming injury that didn’t pitch a ton last year?

Its only been 60 IP

12 minutes ago, UberRebel said:

I’m starting to worry he’s hitting a wall in terms of stamina. Is this normal for someone coming injury that didn’t pitch a ton last year?

Its only been 60 IP

This is the only thing to be worried about I think. It's not a matter of "he sucks now" like some people are making it seem

19 minutes ago, Trilogy25 said:

Certainly explains his recent performance.  I can’t imagine why they would call up anyone besides Gallen to replace him in the rotation.  

1 minute ago, indycolts88 said:

Certainly explains his recent performance.  I can’t imagine why they would call up anyone besides Gallen to replace him in the rotation.  

Kinley is likely for the bullpen. And then they'll call up Gallen for Caleb's next scheduled start. Go grab him now if you're a Smith owner.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

Kinley is likely for the bullpen. And then they'll call up Gallen for Caleb's next scheduled start. Go grab him now if you're a Smith owner.

Was Kinley in the rotation in AAA or was he in the bullpen?

2 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

If this is a minimum stay, I doubt they call up Gallen (forcing them to make a 40-man roster move) without a Jose Urena exit strategy.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Was Kinley in the rotation in AAA or was he in the bullpen?

He was pitching in the Marlins bullpen back before May 27th when he was demoted to the minors.

4 minutes ago, PhilaFanBoy said:

While I agree that Kinley is just a bullpen arm until Smith’s spot in the rotation is up and that Gallen is a good add, Gallen is not a lock to take his spot. Hernandez, who is on the 40 man and also pitching well at AAA, could be an option.

1 minute ago, meh2 said:

While I agree that Kinley is just a bullpen arm until Smith’s spot in the rotation is up and that Gallen is a good add, Gallen is not a lock to take his spot. Hernandez, who is on the 40 man and also pitching well at AAA, could be an option.

You got to assume that it can’t be hard for the Marlins to find someone to DFA from the 40 man, but I do agree it’s not a lock he gets called up.  

Joe Frisaro‏Verified account @JoeFrisaro

Not sure if it will be Zac Gallen’s time, but he certainly is deserving and now is as good a time to get him into Caleb Smith’s spot. Also keep in mind Smitty’s innings were going to be limited this season, another reason he never should have been a serious trade chip #Marlins

Marlins placed LHP Caleb Smith on the 10-day injured list with left hip inflammation.

Advice: Smith hasn't been very sharp over his last three starts and perhaps this helps explain why. Craig Mish of FNTSY Sports Radio hears that Smith is likely to be back after his 10 days are up and that Zac Gallen isn't an option to replace him in the rotation. Elieser Hernandez is already on the 40-man roster and would make sense.

More: Craig Mish on Twitter                                (Rotoworld.com)

More stuff as in Zac Gallen isn't coming up with this short a stay on the IL.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory

Craig Mish of FNTSY Sports Radio reports that Caleb Smith (hip) could rejoin the Marlins rotation as soon as this weekend in Philadelphia. 
src: Craig Mish

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

20 minutes ago, Z06vette said:

Craig Mish of FNTSY Sports Radio reports that Caleb Smith (hip) could rejoin the Marlins rotation as soon as this weekend in Philadelphia. 
src: Craig Mish

So long as he's ready Marlins. Don't want our guy rushed back unless he's totally ready.

Just an update, Smith pitched in a rehab game tonight.  He tied the Southern League record with 8 straight Ks!  Overall, only pitched 4.1IP, 2 solo HR, 11Ks!  While they may still have him make another rehab start, it would seem he should be back quite soon.   

• Like 7
  • Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Wytchclt55 said:

5 IP 5 hits, 4 ER, 8 K in his (last?) rehab start last night.

Not too good outside of the K's but it will probably give Miami the "excuse" they wanted to keep him down through the All Star break now and yet another round of The Marlin Rotation Auditions because the real reason is they can't decide who of their three replacements to keep up and who to send down:  Gallen, Yamamoto and the dude I don't own.  (Send "the dude" down please, Miami). 

• Haha 1