colepenhagen

2019 Bold Predictions

Recommended Posts

On ‎3‎/‎18‎/‎2019 at 12:49 PM, mtblock said:

 

This one is silly. 

- The Padres just made the largest signing in franchise history (and the largest ever until Harper), to launch their youth movement, which has reinvigorated the fanbase. There are so many good reasons why they did it, and to undo it would alienate every single fan. I get it....Padres suck, can't commit to players (Gonzo, Rizzo, Shields, etc.)...but this is a terrible take.

- Even IF the decided to do that. Why would they trade for SP prospects while minor league SP is their absolute strength (9 of top 15). They need no help here. There are also injury concerns with a couple of the Braves. Doesn't make sense. 

 

Isn't this EXACTLY what Miami did a handful of years back?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Go bold or go home: Hitting in the two-hole for ATL, behind Inciarte and ahead of Freeman, Acuna, Markakis, and Albies, Josh Donaldson stays healthy and plays a full season.  In this full season of 600+ ABs, he goes .285/.390 with 35 HR, 100 RBI, 120 R, and 10 SB.  In doing so, he outproduces everyone else on the Braves.  I'll go home now.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
39 minutes ago, En Votto Veritas said:

Go bold or go home: Hitting in the two-hole for ATL, behind Inciarte and ahead of Freeman, Acuna, Markakis, and Albies, Josh Donaldson stays healthy and plays a full season.  In this full season of 600+ ABs, he goes .285/.390 with 35 HR, 100 RBI, 120 R, and 10 SB.  In doing so, he outproduces everyone else on the Braves.  I'll go home now.

 

Honestly outside of the 10 SBs id argue you oversold the boldness compared to a lot of calls in this thread. That’s just a solid rational bold prediction for a former perennial first round player. At least for a few years. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Here's a "failure list", NL-only style, one per team.

NL WEST

Kershaw never looks right, and throws fewer than 80 IP. The Dodgers sign Keuchel in June and win the division anyway.

The Padres win the Wild Card, but lose one of their top-2 pitching prospects (Gore or Paddack) to TJ. 

Marquez gets bitten by the Coors bug, goes down with shoulder fatigue in August, and strikes out fewer than 150.

Bumgarner goes the way of Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, putting up are ERA over 4.50. Giants lose 102 games.

Arizona's major league ready haul for Goldschmidt (Kelly and Weaver) combine for sub-zero WAR.

NL CENTRAL

Brewers defense is historically bad, and none of their SP put up an ERA under 4.20.

Cubs release Addison Russell in May. He never plays another game for them. Not very bold.

Votto falls fast and hard, and is beaten by Winker in each of AVG, OBP, and SLG.

Goldschmidt learns about part effects, stops stealing bases, and finishes behind Joey Votto in WAR.

Jung Ho Kang is released mid-year hitting .170 and Ke'Bryan stinks it up as his replacement. Pirates with the division with 85 wins.

NL EAST

Donaldson never regains his stroke, and misses the second half of the year with back trouble. Austin Riley steps in, and the Braves win the division.

Robles struggles to a .250 / .320 / .360 line, and is outperformed by Amed Rosario and Jose Peraza. Nats win the Wild Card.

The Mets only have two starters with a sub-4.00 ERA and enough innings to qualify (deGrom and one of Wheeler, Matz or Syndergaard).

Philly struggles to 88 wins with a terrible back end of the rotation, and misses the playoffs. Fans riot when they realize Pittsburgh made it in with 85 wins.

Miami loses 105 games. Trevor Richards leads the team in WAR with 2.1.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
16 hours ago, Chesney said:

 

Steamer has Hoskins second in projected RBIs in the NL, 9 behind Arenado.

I honestly did not check that - I guess not so bold. I appreciate your first post being on me! Welcome

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ben Edelman said:

Here's a "failure list", NL-only style, one per team.

NL WEST

Kershaw never looks right, and throws fewer than 80 IP. The Dodgers sign Keuchel in June and win the division anyway.

The Padres win the Wild Card, but lose one of their top-2 pitching prospects (Gore or Paddack) to TJ. 

Marquez gets bitten by the Coors bug, goes down with shoulder fatigue in August, and strikes out fewer than 150.

Bumgarner goes the way of Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, putting up are ERA over 4.50. Giants lose 102 games.

Arizona's major league ready haul for Goldschmidt (Kelly and Weaver) combine for sub-zero WAR.

NL CENTRAL

Brewers defense is historically bad, and none of their SP put up an ERA under 4.20.

Cubs release Addison Russell in May. He never plays another game for them. Not very bold.

Votto falls fast and hard, and is beaten by Winker in each of AVG, OBP, and SLG.

Goldschmidt learns about part effects, stops stealing bases, and finishes behind Joey Votto in WAR.

Jung Ho Kang is released mid-year hitting .170 and Ke'Bryan stinks it up as his replacement. Pirates with the division with 85 wins.

NL EAST

Donaldson never regains his stroke, and misses the second half of the year with back trouble. Austin Riley steps in, and the Braves win the division.

Robles struggles to a .250 / .320 / .360 line, and is outperformed by Amed Rosario and Jose Peraza. Nats win the Wild Card.

The Mets only have two starters with a sub-4.00 ERA and enough innings to qualify (deGrom and one of Wheeler, Matz or Syndergaard).

Philly struggles to 88 wins with a terrible back end of the rotation, and misses the playoffs. Fans riot when they realize Pittsburgh made it in with 85 wins.

Miami loses 105 games. Trevor Richards leads the team in WAR with 2.1.

 

winner-of-the-buzz-killington-award-randball-1.png

  • Like 5
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

And now the good. NL-only, team-by-team:

NL WEST

Walker Buehler wins the NL CY, with a 2.25 ERA. He feasts on the Giants, winning 4 games with a 1.08 ERA against them. Dodgers win the division.

Luis Urias hits .310 and finishes second in the ROY vote to Mitch Keller. Padres win the wild card.

David Dahl only goes on the DL once and is a top-15 fantasy OF, with a 25/25 season.

The Giants have no good news. Steve Duggar steals 25 bases because, really, there's nothing else to do on that team.

Archie Bradley takes on a Raisel Iglesias type of role, with 29 saves and 85 IP.

NL CENTRAL

Moustakas loves the park and sets career highs in HR and RBI.

The Cole Hamels resurgence continues, with 15 wins and a sub-3.50 ERA.

Winker hits .290 / .400 / 450 and leads the Reds in WAR.

Alex Reyes is back. He's this year's Ross Stripling: 3.00 ERA, 1.20 WHIP, 120 IP.

Mitch Keller wins 12 with a 2.80 ERA and is the ROY. Pirates win a weak division.

NL EAST

Freddie Freeman keeps getting better. .320 / 35 / 120, and is the NL MVP. Braves win the division.

Juan Soto finishes 2nd in the MVP balloting, with Anthony Rendon a distant 3rd. Nats win the wild card.

Amed Rosario continues to improve, hitting .280 / 15 HR / 35 SB. He out-earns Manny Machado because of the scarcity of steals.

Nola, Pivetta, and Arietta each have sub-3.50 ERAs.

Trevor Richards looks like a legit #3 starter. Lewis Brinson remembers how to hit, and becomes the player we wanted Manny Margot to be.

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
49 minutes ago, Ben Edelman said:

Here's a "failure list", NL-only style, one per team.

NL WEST

Kershaw never looks right, and throws fewer than 80 IP. The Dodgers sign Keuchel in June and win the division anyway.

The Padres win the Wild Card, but lose one of their top-2 pitching prospects (Gore or Paddack) to TJ. 

Marquez gets bitten by the Coors bug, goes down with shoulder fatigue in August, and strikes out fewer than 150.

Bumgarner goes the way of Matt Cain and Tim Lincecum, putting up are ERA over 4.50. Giants lose 102 games.

Arizona's major league ready haul for Goldschmidt (Kelly and Weaver) combine for sub-zero WAR.

NL CENTRAL

Brewers defense is historically bad, and none of their SP put up an ERA under 4.20.

Cubs release Addison Russell in May. He never plays another game for them. Not very bold.

Votto falls fast and hard, and is beaten by Winker in each of AVG, OBP, and SLG.

Goldschmidt learns about part effects, stops stealing bases, and finishes behind Joey Votto in WAR.

Jung Ho Kang is released mid-year hitting .170 and Ke'Bryan stinks it up as his replacement. Pirates with the division with 85 wins.

NL EAST

Donaldson never regains his stroke, and misses the second half of the year with back trouble. Austin Riley steps in, and the Braves win the division.

Robles struggles to a .250 / .320 / .360 line, and is outperformed by Amed Rosario and Jose Peraza. Nats win the Wild Card.

The Mets only have two starters with a sub-4.00 ERA and enough innings to qualify (deGrom and one of Wheeler, Matz or Syndergaard).

Philly struggles to 88 wins with a terrible back end of the rotation, and misses the playoffs. Fans riot when they realize Pittsburgh made it in with 85 wins.

Miami loses 105 games. Trevor Richards leads the team in WAR with 2.1.

This was honestly depressing.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

This was honestly depressing.

 

I do my best to set the bar low. It increases the chances of being pleasantly surprised!

  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bold prediction: Puig will behave like a normal baseball player for more than a week. 

 

 

 

I lose. 

  • Like 6
  • Haha 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Trevor Story goes 40/30/.300 (wasn't very far off last year) and finishes as the #1 fantasy player while also winning NL MVP.

  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, Ben Edelman said:

 

I do my best to set the bar low. It increases the chances of being pleasantly surprised!

That Phillies prediction had me laugh so hard I cried a little

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Where's the AL love?

Yankees: The Yanks sign Craig Kimbrel to spite the Red Sox and he closes the door on the Sox in the wildcard game.

Red Sox: Rafael Devers puts it together in the 2nd half in a big way and delivers 34 home runs with a 285 average after a brief stint in the minors.

Jays: Aaron Sanchez goes the Moises Alou route, peeing on his hands pregame, and finishes with a 3.05 era for the year. No one gives him a high 5

Ray's: Tyler Glasnow never figures out his mechanics and struggles, horribly

Orioles: No Orioles players find themselves selected in the first 12 rounds next year

 

Indians: Jake Bauers hits 32 home runs and steals 16 bags and wins you a league

Minnesota Twins: Byron Buxton finds a way to burn you AGAIN, and you still draft him next year.

White Sox: Reynaldo Lopez has a 16 win 2.6/1.1 season with 225 k's en route to a cy young

Royals: Junis gives up 40 home runs this year

Tigers: Miguel Cabrera has a terrible season, and later reveals he played through entire season hurt and ponders retirement

 

Astros: Altuve returns to form and posts a 320-19-42 line

Athletics: Luzardo gives Vlad a sombrero to solidify himself as ROY. A's knock Red Sox out of the wildcard after red Sox lose to Yankees.

Mariners: Felix Hernandez has the best era on the team after altering his pitch usage.

Rangers: Joey Gallo hits .249

Angels: The Angels install a dart board in the dugout. Mike Scioscia gets good at it and Buttrey closes from June through the end of season.

 

 

Edited by dkrocka
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
8 hours ago, dchamps said:

I honestly did not check that - I guess not so bold. I appreciate your first post being on me! Welcome

 

I didn't mean to come across as a douche, sorry. Plus I didn't post any predictions myself...

Also, not really my first post. For some reason my last profile seems lost...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, DConny1 said:

Trevor Story goes 40/30/.300 (wasn't very far off last year) and finishes as the #1 fantasy player while also winning NL MVP.

 

I'd take this! Got him with the 20th pick yesteday

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Bold prediction (Not mine) that I liked:

 

“Daniel Murphy is a top-15 hitter and is looked back on as the biggest ‘cheat code’ hitter in the first 80 picks. Justin Morneau went from a .270 hitter in Minnesota to a .319 hitter with the Rockies at age 33. Murphy has been a .320 hitter over the past three years at ages 30-32. A .340+ average with 200+ Rs/RBIs and 25+ HRs is not out of the question.”

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Everyone in my opening day starting lineup goes on the dl at some point this year. It has happened before so why not. Already down one after two games.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The new GM continues to surprise and Pete Alonso is the starting 1B from the get-go, leads the Mets in HRs with 38, and wins the NL ROY Award in a close race with Victor Robles.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
18 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

The new GM continues to surprise and Pete Alonso is the starting 1B from the get-go, leads the Mets in HRs with 38, and wins the NL ROY Award in a close race with Victor Robles.

I sure hope not.  I just dropped him for McMahon. Lol 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Zach Wheeler wins NL Cy Young. Mike Clevinger wins AL Cy Young.

Jose LeClerc has 45 saves.

Freddy Peralta has a 15 win season and 180 Ks.

Brian Dozier hits 40 homers and has a .240 AVG.

Domingo Santana drives in 100.

Gio Stanton and Aaron Judge combine for only 61 homers.

Nick Pivetta throws the first no hitter of 2019.

 

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
50 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

I sure hope not.  I just dropped him for McMahon. Lol 

Reichl555 cuts McMahon to bring back Alonso and the next day the Rockies announce that McMahon will be a full time player.  Reichl555 starts freaking out that he cut another potential major contributor, but then all is for nothing when McMahon hurts himself tripping on a step getting out of the dugout on Opening Day and is out for the season without even playing an inning.  Garrett Hampson goes on to be the everyday 2B and lead the NL in SBs, 1 ahead of Victor Robles only because Victor Robles slides all the way past 3B and into his own dugout, and Hampson finishes 3rd in the NL ROY voting behind obvious Alonso and Robles.

Might have went a bit far at the end, but oh well... 😄

  • Like 1
  • Haha 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

Nick Pivetta throws the first no hitter of 2019.

 

Agreed.  And he will still end up with an ERA over 4.50.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, Corey In Da House said:

Zach Wheeler wins NL Cy Young. Mike Clevinger wins AL Cy Young.

 

Ans here I was thinking I was the only guy who loved Wheeler and Clevinger coming into the season. I salute you sir.

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...