joebaker23

Calvin Ridley 2019 Outlook

1 hour ago, urbank07 said:

So what do the Titans normally play?

In years past I seem to remember they are a zone team, but I could be wrong and I don’t know if they changed anything up this year. It is on my list of things to investigate this week. 

5 minutes ago, nromn said:

In years past I seem to remember they are a zone team, but I could be wrong and I don’t know if they changed anything up this year. It is on my list of things to investigate this week. 

According to last season, Titans were the 12th highest team to run man last year.

DvhjEmNUYAU2UII.jpg:large

Dvhka0hVAAADri-.jpg:large

• Thanks 2

16 hours ago, DerrickHenrysCleats said:

Rough outing last week but hard to bench at home against the Tennessee defense.

I know they didn't put up the best defensive effort against the Jags last Thursday, but Tennessee is giving up the 3rd fewest yards passing per game, and 8th fewest PPG so far this season. The game's in Atlanta, so Ryan & Co have that going for them. But, it's not necessarily a gimmie that Ridley has a bounce back game this Sunday. 

12 minutes ago, The G Man said:

I know they didn't put up the best defensive effort against the Jags last Thursday, but Tennessee is giving up the 3rd fewest yards passing per game, and 8th fewest PPG so far this season. The game's in Atlanta, so Ryan & Co have that going for them. But, it's not necessarily a gimmie that Ridley has a bounce back game this Sunday. 

They've played against Mayfield, Brissett, and Minshew. Outside of Cleveland, those other teams lack the arsenal of an Atlanta. Also, Matt Ryan is better than all of those QBs mentioned. I think this is a start game for sure. They are also banged up in the secondary and Darius Leonard is currently in concussion protocol.

Edited by FitzMagic

11 minutes ago, FitzMagic said:

They've played against Mayfield, Brissett, and Minshew. Outside of Cleveland, those other teams lack the arsenal of an Atlanta. Also, Matt Ryan is better than all of those QBs mentioned. I think this is a start game for sure. They are also banged up in the secondary and Darius Leonard is currently in concussion protocol.

Tennessee also lacks the arsenal and Leonard is on Indy

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

2 minutes ago, yanksman said:

Tennessee also lacks the arsenal and Leonard is on Indy

Thanks, don't know what I was thinking there. Had Colts on my mind for some reason.

Ridley said he wasn't able to get open because he wasn't running routes directly against a defensive back. While it's concerning Ridley wasn't able to beat zone

Excerpt from the yahoo blurb... my man cant beat zone coverage ... not sure what to think about this

• Like 1

1 hour ago, screaming_vultures said:

Excerpt from the yahoo blurb... my man cant beat zone coverage ... not sure what to think about this

He hasn’t learned when to cut off his route & sit in the open space by now? WTF???

8 minutes ago, lvsaint429 said:

He hasn’t learned when to cut off his route & sit in the open space by now? WTF???

Ummm...yeah. 

I've taken some flack the last couple days for some of my comments, but I am a Ridley fan. I just have a really hard time when a guy goes from 10 target to 1 in one week's time. Color me a little pissed, because he definitely didn't help me last week, but I also just expected more from him him as a second year player. He flashes. But, it's his lack of consistency that just kills me. Now this whole doesn't play well against zone coverage. WTF indeed?!

Awesome how after 1 target game he shows up on injury report with a hip injury. Did he sleep on it wrong after the game?

More from a RW article on Ridley's struggles with zone coverage:

Calvin Ridley: “It was hard to get open” against Colts’ zone defense

Ridley dropped a brutally honest quote that coincides perfectly with the data. Using TheQuantEdge.com’s WR/CB matchup tool, last season he faced zone 42.4 percent of the time and only caught 25-of-39 targets (64 percent) while averaging 8.8 yards per target and contributing a 96.6 passer rating. When facing man defense, he caught 23-of-31 targets (74 percent) while averaging 12.3 yards per target and contributed a 154.8 passer rating. The Colts play zone defense at one of the highest rates in the NFL so in hindsight, his lackluster game makes perfect sense. His Week 4 opponent, the Titans, were near league average in man coverage rate last season.

OK, so I may have to flex him tomorrow (it's either him or D-Mo, and I'm just not digging his match-up).

So, what are we saying here...the Titans employ man 42.6% of the time and zone 43.2% of the time. What about the other 14.2% of the time? Is this a good match up based on the coverage they use? Man, I'm so confused. All I know is he needs to get back to the 6-10 target range. Can he do that against what I think is a very good D, at home in Hotlanta? 

Is this a bounce back game for Cal Rid?

10 minutes ago, The G Man said:

OK, so I may have to flex him tomorrow (it's either him or D-Mo, and I'm just not digging his match-up).

So, what are we saying here...the Titans employ man 42.6% of the time and zone 43.2% of the time. What about the other 14.2% of the time? Is this a good match up based on the coverage they use? Man, I'm so confused. All I know is he needs to get back to the 6-10 target range. Can he do that against what I think is a very good D, at home in Hotlanta? 

Is this a bounce back game for Cal Rid?

I believe it is. Actually it wouldn’t surprise me to see Ridley get a couple targets on the 1st drive to get him in the game flow. If Ryan doesn’t establish other receivers, Jones is gonna be bracketed all game long

• Thanks 1

hopefully week 3 is just an anomaly for Ridley.  weeks 1 and 2 were much much better; hopefully he gets back on track to that type of production or else he goes back into the infinite WR3 sadness territory 😕  debating him vs Demarcus Robinson this week and week 3 Ridley has me spooked

Edited by swetooth9

With Julio Jones getting double teamed a lot I don't understand what the Falcons were doing last week.

1 catch really? 1 target I think too

I'm glad they lost the game, that strategy doesn't make sense to me.

Ridley had shown that he scores touchdowns which a lot of receivers struggle with(even Julio).

Call me crazy but I hope it's a priority to get the ball to Ridley especially near the red zone. To me this helps the whole offense open up. 

Everyone knows what Julio can do so if he gets constant double teams you have to get Ridley his targets downfield.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, raidaz18 said:

With Julio Jones getting double teamed a lot I don't understand what the Falcons were doing last week.

1 catch really? 1 target I think too

I'm glad they lost the game, that strategy doesn't make sense to me.

Ridley had shown that he scores touchdowns which a lot of receivers struggle with(even Julio).

Call me crazy but I hope it's a priority to get the ball to Ridley especially near the red zone. To me this helps the whole offense open up. 

Everyone knows what Julio can do so if he gets constant double teams you have to get Ridley his targets downfield.

You make a lot of sense my friend. Just hope Dan Quinn realizes it. 

• Like 1

He looks absolutely lost out there. Already had his best game in Week 2. With Ryan settling to check down to Hooper 12 times a game, Ridley is droppable if you like someone on the waiver wire 

8 minutes ago, yanksman said:

I dunno about droppable but no chance I start him anytime soon

I won’t hesitate if I find someone with a pulse

I wonder if Ridleys injury is more serious than they are letting on. If not, he has regressed big time and he’s now the 3rd or 4th option on that team. Not good

1 minute ago, Dexter75 said:

I wonder if Ridleys injury is more serious than they are letting on. If not, he has regressed big time and he’s now the 3rd or 4th option on that team. Not good

It’s as much about Ryan checking down as it is about Ridley. He’s not getting open, probably going back to his quote about zone coverage. Seems like he can’t read a defense to sit in the zone or he doesn’t have the confidence to make the decision to actually do it 

You’d think after last week when Ridley got next to nothing, that the Falcons would get him more involved in the offense early on.

He still isn’t involved, and when they actually did throw to him, he’s having a panic attack from shock.

Figured Ridley would take the next step to being a top tier wide receiver, but as it stands, he’s looking more like Sanu than Julio from a fantasy standpoint.

I haven't seen the last 2 games so maybe a Falcons fan with some insight can chime in here.

I'm confused and surprised as to what's going on with Ridley. To me he was pegged as one of the up and coming receivers in this league who has a nose for the end zone.

The Falcons aren't winning and Ridley is not getting looks.

What gives?

1 minute ago, raidaz18 said:

I haven't seen the last 2 games so maybe a Falcons fan with some insight can chime in here.

I'm confused and surprised as to what's going on with Ridley. To me he was pegged as one of the up and coming receivers in this league who has a nose for the end zone.

The Falcons aren't winning and Ridley is not getting looks.

What gives?

I've watched every game and even I don't know. When Hooper and Sanu are leading the team there are issues. The offensive play-calling is atrocious.