DFWSooner

Craig Kimbrel 2019 Outlook

I didn't see anything for him, so I apologize if I missed it..  But any feelings where or when he might sign?  I saw a note from Ken Rosenthal stating that Kimbrel could wait until after the amateur draft in June to sign in order to prevent teams from having to take on the qualifying offer draft pick penalty that would be assessed to any team that signs him now.   

I really hope not.

• Haha 1

This seems awfully similar to the Greg Holland situation a year ago, except Kimbrel tried to get a 4-year contract and has been more successful than Holland over the length of his career. 

I’m personally a little wary of rostering him. Even if he signs somewhere with closing opportunity, there’s no guarantee it goes well after having no Spring Training to ramp up. 

If he waits until June he's getting a ROS contract at best, and entering the season mid-way through after no ST or rehab ramp up means he's going to struggle and it will hurt his offers come next off-season.  He already turned down the best offers he'll ever get at this point - now it's about bruised pride in knowing he did so and having to accept less.   There will be no new team coming into rescue him from his mistake - a "contender" loses their "closer" and they're not going to come calling him with a 4-5 year deal. 

His best fit is with the Nats - he can ease into things with Doolittle closing, and then when Doolittle gets injured, Kimbrel would be ready to close.

Edited by Baseball Jonze

21 hours ago, AlexxelA said:

I have heard rumors of Nationals, Braves, and Rays.

The Nats basically said they moved on.  They only have 5.1 mil under the luxury tax and any creative bookkeeping and deferred payments etc they may have been trying obviously didn't work.   And I can' t imagine pitching factory TB being stupid enough to pay this guy tons.  Braves seem to have lost interest as well.

Right now Kimbrel is living in his own (and Boras') little parallel universe of illusion where he thinks he is Mariano Rivera and the newer version of the luxury tax hasn't gone into effect yet.

1 minute ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

The Nats basically said they moved on.  They only have 5.1 mil under the luxury tax and any creative bookkeeping and deferred payments etc they may have been trying obviously didn't work.   And I can' t imagine pitching factory TB being stupid enough to pay this guy tons.  Braves seem to have lost interest as well.

Right now Kimbrel is living in his own (and Boras') little parallel universe of illusion where he thinks he is Mariano Rivera and the newer version of the luxury tax hasn't gone into effect yet.

I see a mention of the Cubs here on RW but nothing solid.  Kimbrel will end up the closer somewhere in the first month or so, right?  He wouldn't hold out all year?  

1 minute ago, AlexxelA said:

I see a mention of the Cubs here on RW but nothing solid.  Kimbrel will end up the closer somewhere in the first month or so, right?  He wouldn't hold out all year?  

You did see the Ken Rosenthal comment the original poster included?  Anything is possible.

Surely he’s going to have to swallow his pride at some point? Cubs seem like a great landing spot as he’d almost definitely close there pretty quickly.

Jim Bowden reported a few weeks ago I believe that he was willing to sit out. That was quickly refuted by another Twitter Blue check (can't remember who) but him sitting out is possible.

20 minutes ago, Nightmare130 said:

Jim Bowden reported a few weeks ago I believe that he was willing to sit out. That was quickly refuted by another Twitter Blue check (can't remember who) but him sitting out is possible.

At least until mid season when a team won’t lose a pick under the QO rules.

26 minutes ago, Motorcat117 said:

He is just a big injury away from someone signing him 

Maybe a ROS offer, but no big injury is going to make a team offer up a four year deal that he was demanding during fee agency. 

1 minute ago, Baseball Jonze said:

Maybe a ROS offer, but no big injury is going to make a team offer up a four year deal that he was demanding during fee agency. 

Did I mention a big 4 year deal .... 1st closer goes down. Kimbrel will get paid - that is all I am saying

9 minutes ago, Baseball Jonze said:

From the reports I read he came into free agency seeking 6 years, 100 million. The latest reports were something like 5 years, 90 million. I’d be shocked if he can’t at least get Wade Davis money. He’ll sign somewhere before opening day and it’ll still be a lot of money, just not quite  Kenley or Chapman money.

I just came here because I didn't want to be sad and frustrated alone as he sits with that ugly "Not Active" next to his name on my Dynasty/Keeper League roster. 

• Like 1

Took Kimbrel in the 13th round of my draft last night, he slipped 2 far as it was worth the risk. I get the feeling though Craig may not be pitching for a long time.

7 minutes ago, chud12 said:

Took Kimbrel in the 13th round of my draft last night, he slipped 2 far as it was worth the risk. I get the feeling though Craig may not be pitching for a long time.

If he signs today he's probably not ready to close games until mid April at best. 

23 minutes ago, Sidearmer said:

If he signs today he's probably not ready to close games until mid April at best. 

Yea well luckily for me my team counts holds so regardless a 13th round price tag on one of the elite relievers is solid. 

He’s been working out in Orlando.  Not like he’s been sitting around eating bugles and playing fortnite.  May take him a little while to get geared up, but he’s not starting from scratch. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

18 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

He’s been working out in Orlando.  Not like he’s been sitting around eating bugles and playing fortnite.  May take him a little while to get geared up, but he’s not starting from scratch. 

Pardon me if I am not a believer in the Scott Boras Training Facility For Holdouts.

2 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Pardon me if I am not a believer in the Scott Boras Training Facility For Holdouts.

I know you're being facetious but Kimbrel isn't a Boras client.

• Like 1