Sign in to follow this  
beauso79

J.D. Davis 2019 Outlook

Stupid Mets!!!   With Davis and McNeil there was no need to sign Jed Lowrie.  They should have picked up Keuchel and Kimbrel instead.  Davis should be the starting 3B right now with McNeil serving a Lowrie type role.  Just dumb!!

• Like 1

I was quite a fan last year. Stros simply jerked him around a bunch, though he did no favors for himself either. Still, I think there's some talent here and the bat can play at 3B.

He's been hitting this spring too. He might get a window to prove himself with the Mets already dealing with injuries-

With the plan currently being McNeil starting a 3B it'll be tough for JD to get consistent playing time even before Frazier and Lowrie are back. Likely Dom Smith and/or Pete Alonso will be up for the 1B job. Best case scenario here is Alonso gets service timed and Davis is a platoon partner with Dom Smith. Even that would only be a short stint with Alonso / Frazier / Lowrie all on their way at some point.

1 hour ago, Fantasy Baseball Geek said:

This kid has looked pretty good. Adding him to my watchlist. If he keeps this up he may be the permanent third baseman on this team by June. 

Or they may never allow him to play 3B again

• Thanks 3
  • Haha 2

I accidentally posted in the wrong thread :) Please don't ask me how it happened.

Edited by SpartyinFoCo
Wrong thread

Not much chatter about this kid. But I looked on statcast and he’s currently ranked 7th in exit velocity average at 95.1 with at least 30 plate appearances. Also he has an expected average of .387 which would rank him 4th behind Bellinger, Trout and JD Martinez. Not bad company. I’m not sure hardcore about saber metrics but wouldn’t this translate into him possibly breaking out a little and flashing more power? 

• Like 1

I'm curious to see what kind of PT the Mets will give Davis once everyone comes back healthy. Frankly (as someone who owns zero shares of Davis), I don't see why the Mets would make Frazier and Lowrie bench bats and let the younger guys have at it. Go with the young, promising infield. I know McNeil just turned 27, but Rosario, Alonso, and Davis are 23, 24, and 25 (respectively). Certainly younger than Frazier at 33 and Lowrie, who celebrates his 35th today. 

I know Frazier will take PT away from Davis at 3B. How much remains to be seen. I hope they go with the younger guy, but who knows. 

• Like 1

Bobby Sylvester from FantasyPros just gushing over this guy:

#1 J.D. Davis is going to end up being the pickup of the year
Let’s kick this article off with a bang, and truly, this is not written as hyperbole. I strongly believe Davis is going to win people fantasy championships like Max Muncy did last year and J.D. Martinez several years ago. The Houston castoff batted .342/.406/.583/.988 in Triple-A last year and finally is getting his chance with the Mets as a 26-year-old. He is making the most of it, posting an absurd .469 xOBA. That suggests that the quality of his contact has been among the best hitters in baseball. He is .001 below Christian Yelich for 7th in baseball and ahead of Ronald Acuna, Pete Alonso and Bryce Harper

While he isn’t technically the starter at any position for the Mets, they have found a way to play him virtually every day lately, and I expect that to continue if he keeps slugging like a superstar. Davis is owned in just 4% of leagues, folks.

1 hour ago, Gandalfthecat said:

Bobby Sylvester from FantasyPros just gushing over this guy:

#1 J.D. Davis is going to end up being the pickup of the year
Let’s kick this article off with a bang, and truly, this is not written as hyperbole. I strongly believe Davis is going to win people fantasy championships like Max Muncy did last year and J.D. Martinez several years ago. The Houston castoff batted .342/.406/.583/.988 in Triple-A last year and finally is getting his chance with the Mets as a 26-year-old. He is making the most of it, posting an absurd .469 xOBA. That suggests that the quality of his contact has been among the best hitters in baseball. He is .001 below Christian Yelich for 7th in baseball and ahead of Ronald Acuna, Pete Alonso and Bryce Harper

While he isn’t technically the starter at any position for the Mets, they have found a way to play him virtually every day lately, and I expect that to continue if he keeps slugging like a superstar. Davis is owned in just 4% of leagues, folks.

Sylvester can be super reactionary at times, but J.D. Davis does look good

6 hours ago, Magoo said:

Ugh Todd Frazier.

The mets are playing Frazier right now in the hopes he does well enough to trade him. JD is the future.

4 minutes ago, KB_IV said:

The mets are playing Frazier right now in the hopes he does well enough to trade him. JD is the future.

Mets are not that smart.  Plus Jed Lowrie isn’t back yet.  JD Davis will rot away.  It’s going to take a ton for him to have value in 2019.

• Haha 1

9 hours ago, KB_IV said:

That makes no sense. Mets are trying to win and no one is that dumb. I think its about Frazier’s defense but at a steep cost. Sigh.

Watch out for this guy

Met's organization has finally woke up and started giving this guy playing time. I think this will be the 4th out of 5th game he is starting over Frazier. Batting 2nd more often than not showing the Mets trust in him. Lowrie has suffered another setback and is out rest of month at the least. This guys underlying numbers are still off the charts, can really run away with the job. People are running for Riley, who is now 30x times owned over this guy, but I'd rather own JD Davis. Both Riley and JD have PT question marks, both are young, but JD has already shown us some real stuff.

Edited by terminator10
  • Like 2

On 5/15/2019 at 6:25 PM, terminator10 said:

Watch out for this guy

Met's organization has finally woke up and started giving this guy playing time. I think this will be the 4th out of 5th game he is starting over Frazier. Batting 2nd more often than not showing the Mets trust in him. Lowrie has suffered another setback and is out rest of month at the least. This guys underlying numbers are still off the charts, can really run away with the job. People are running for Riley, who is now 30x times owned over this guy, but I'd rather own JD Davis. Both Riley and JD have PT question marks, both are young, but JD has already shown us some real stuff.

Update: Riley has shown more stuff. :P

In all seriousness though, JD should be playing everyday. Even the Mets arent this dumb right?

Edited by RoadApple

picked up Davis this morning to cover for Yandy Diaz going on the DL.  He should get a lot of playing time with Cano and McNeil on the DL

2 hours ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Any thoughts on him and his playing time with the Mets injuries mounting up?

Extended audition to make his bat so valuable that they will tolerate the defense.  Long term playing is still going to only be 3rd so he's going to need to be REALLY good considering how much the Mets love Frazier's "infield presence."

Keep in hitting man!!!   Eventually the Mets will wake up