Members_Only_76

2019 Vent & Rant Thread

Traded Vlad Jr. for Scherzer (went on DL before trade was even finalized) & T. Bauer (29 ER in 30 IP so far...)

yup, that's all I've got. 

Trevor Bauer basically cost me a playoff spot with his dumpster fire start yesterday. Hard to win when your supposed #1 pitches like that, ugghhhh.

Severino, Snell, Laureano, Woodruff, and now JoRam..how the @#$% am I still in second? would be walking away with this league if the injury god didn't bend me over this year

2 hours ago, MSkibisky said:

Severino, Snell, Laureano, Woodruff, and now JoRam..how the @#$% am I still in second? would be walking away with this league if the injury god didn't bend me over this year

I have one  league where at one point I had 8 players on the DL (all name guys).  The injuries this year have been the worst I have ever seen.  This year is mostly luck imo fantasy-wise.  No one can tell me they predicted the juiced ball, the injuries and the bad pitching all round and drafted accordingly (to say nothing of many closers being garbage).  if you are winning this year, it is because you essentially made some good WW pickups\were lucky enough to beat others to the wire and managed to avoid being destroyed with injuries\stayed fairly healthy.  No one can compete when they lose Mondesi, Encarnacion, Correa, Kluber, Stanton, Voit, etc., etc., etc.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Haha 1

11 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

I have one  league where at one point I had 8 players on the DL (all name guys).  The injuries this year have been the worst I have ever seen.  This year is mostly luck imo fantasy-wise.  No one can tell me they predicted the juiced ball, the injuries and the bad pitching all round and drafted accordingly (to say nothing of many closers being garbage).  if you are winning this year, it is because you essentially made some good WW pickups\were lucky enough to beat others to the wire and managed to avoid being destroyed with injuries\stayed fairly healthy.  No one can compete when they lose Mondesi, Encarnacion, Correa, Kluber, Stanton, Voit, etc., etc., etc.

I hear you 100%. The only reason I am doing so well is waiver pickups ie: Aquino, Bichette, Yordan, D Santana, Civale, etc. 

16 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

I hear you 100%. The only reason I am doing so well is waiver pickups ie: Aquino, Bichette, Yordan, D Santana, Civale, etc. 

Oddly I have been able to use the wire to fix the hitting in most leagues more or less myself as well.  It is the pitching where I got toasted.  It is just so bad this year it is almost impossible to recover from losing a couple of top SPs or having them badly under perform.  You can make due, but you end up being sucked into the middle of the pack, esp. with Ks and Ws. Add in I never pay big for closers, so my pen has been a total disaster this year in almost every league.  I have bagged saves at this point in most of them as it is a waste of time chasing the scrub closers.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

Oddly I have been able to use the wire to fix the hitting in most leagues more or less myself as well.  It is the pitching where I got toasted.  It is just so bad this year it is almost impossible to recover from losing a couple of top SPs or having them badly under perform.  You can make due, but you end up being sucked into the middle of the pack, esp. with Ks and Ws. Add in I never pay big for closers, so my pen has been a total disaster this year in almost every league.  I have bagged saves at this point in most of them as it is a waste of time chasing the scrub closers.

somehow i am first in saves after not drafting a single closer (thank you forums/closer monkey), but it is such a matchup based year. You can't just blindly start pitchers anymore. If i see @HOU, @NYY, @LAD, i almost automatically bench, unless its Cole or Corbin for me, and even then, I get nervous.

12 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

somehow i am first in saves after not drafting a single closer (thank you forums/closer monkey), but it is such a matchup based year. You can't just blindly start pitchers anymore. If i see @HOU, @NYY, @LAD, i almost automatically bench, unless its Cole or Corbin for me, and even then, I get nervous.

Yes, but when you draft closers and they end up being some combo Leclerc, Knebel, Strop, Brasier\Workman, W. Davis, L. Jackson, etc. there is just too much ground to make up.  In some of my leagues, it is very competitive and closers fly of the wire even before the change happens based on speculation. Like I said, I never pay big for closers and this year for the first time ever, I really got hurt by it.  Of course it could have been worse and I could have paid for E. Diaz lol.

As to starters, we all stream and\or play match ups. It does not make up for losing a top SP.  I have actually managed to do OK in the ratios myself for the most part piecing it together.  The problems is the Ks and to a lesser extent the Ws.  The k rates of most of the replacements are not nearly good enough and they tend to be on lesser teams and do not put up the Ws like you would hope. 

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

Some guy dropped Laureano inna 16 teamer, keep 6.?.?. Scooped him. Was able to pick up hiura before his first call up. Way to go Brewers. Not.

I mean you draft Severino, Stanton and Correa... and complain about injuries?

The only thing I had to fix on the wire was strop and Holland

Moved Meadows and round 14 for R Iglesias and round 10. Dont feel great about it but I can't keep meadows anyway. Picked up Magill. Bats are still stacked despite joram, Contreras, Laureano, and cano on the shelf.

meadows ketel Soler Calhoun winker and Contreras were bats drafted. Salvation because the SPs I drafted are all meh: wheeler, bumgarner(swapped for Hendricks, go Cubs), musgrove, lucchesi, reynaldo, pineda

2.5 back of first 3.5 up on 3rd. 2 weeks til playoffs with byes for top 2.

F you Jean Segura

1 hour ago, MSkibisky said:

Elite SP/RP became more valuable. I don't think anyone benches any top ten "ace" against anyone. I rarely bench any SP because I'll just lock up k's/wins and hope for the best in a 16 team H2H

26 minutes ago, dkrocka said:

Elite SP/RP became more valuable. I don't think anyone benches any top ten "ace" against anyone. I rarely bench any SP because I'll just lock up k's/wins and hope for the best in a 16 team H2H

H2h strategies are quite a bit different than Roto, esp in the pitching area.  The ratios are hard to keep in check in Roto for the entire season if you play the matchup\streaming game too much with marginal Sps.  Roto tends to reward the long game on pitching.  H2h tends to be a short horizon model where you can adjust based on where you are week to week with the ratios.  That said, most people start their true aces every game.  It is the Fantasy 4-7 starter types you have debates with.

Edited by secretagentman

13 minutes ago, secretagentman said:

H2h strategies are quite a bit different than Roto, esp in the pitching area.  The ratios are hard to keep in check in Roto for the entire season if you play the matchup\streaming game too much with marginal Sps.  Roto tends to reward the long game on pitching.  H2h tends to be a short horizon model where you can adjust based on where you are week to week with the ratios.  That said, most people start their true aces every game.  It is the Fantasy 4-7 starter types you have debates with.

As much as I see what you mean by this, I would have to disagree. As long as you don't have too much of a life, a good roto owner still focuses HEAVILY on matchups.

14 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

As much as I see what you mean by this, I would have to disagree. As long as you don't have too much of a life, a good roto owner still focuses HEAVILY on matchups.

I do not know any roto owner that sits Kershaw, Scherzer, Cole, Verlander etc. based on matchups.  And few teams are deep enough in pitching to be sitting  there Fantasy 3s who tend to be decent Sps just because they run into the Dodgers or the Yankees unless they play in really shallow leagues.  The marginal guys yeah, but not the top tier guys.  In the end, streaming hurts the ratios if you do it too often...you simply get too marginal and eventually it comes and gets you a few of those 2 IP 8 ER 12 hit performances.  You can absorb that in H2h some weeks because it may not matter and the results reset the next week.  In roto, the effect of those types of mistakes last the entire season.

Edited by secretagentman

1 minute ago, secretagentman said:

I do not know any roto owner that sits Kershaw, Scherzer, Cole, Verlander etc. based on matchups.  And few teams are deep enough in pitching to be sitting  there Fantasy 3s who tend to be decent Sps just because they run into the Dodgers or the Yankees unless they play in really shallow leagues.  The marginal guys yeah, but not the top tier guys.  In the end, streaming hurts the ratios if you do it too often...you simply get too marginal and eventually it comes and gets you a few of those 2 IP 8 ER 12 hit performances.  You can absorb that in H2h some weeks because it may not matter and the results reset thenext week.  In roto, the effect of those types of mistakes last the entire season.

Yea, I agree with that point, I was talking more about the mid tier level guys matching up against stacked linups. For example, someone like Fried matching up against LAD would be a sit. I'd never sit Cole.

12 minutes ago, MSkibisky said:

Yea, I agree with that point, I was talking more about the mid tier level guys matching up against stacked linups. For example, someone like Fried matching up against LAD would be a sit. I'd never sit Cole.

Freid is a poor man's German with his 4 ERA and horrid 1.4 WHIP.  He is likely your 5th or 6th best SP on your squad and yes the type you only start based on matchup.  My point is that these types (Fantasy 4-6s) everyone more or less matchs up with in Roto.  Fantasy 1-3s  everyone starts all the time.  We are debating semantics, but to me that is not heavily based on matchups...it is normal.  Heavy matchups and streaming is what you see in H2h, where guys will rotate in starters on a daily basis and\or pick up streamers off the wire to get a start in vs Detroit with some marginal at best Sp off the wire because they are behind in Ks and Ws and are hopelessly out of it for the week in the ratios.  That sort of thing is not done in roto for the most part as it will hurt you in the long game in the ratios.  People who do not limit the innings and matchups of their worst Sps will get hurt as well in Roto, but like I said, most owners who know what they are doing are not starting the Fried types unless the matchup is good for the week or they have no other choice.

Edited by secretagentman
  • Like 1

If I get another notification from Yahoo about an injury status I'm going to lose it, in the last two weeks I've lost Jon Gray, Fernando Tatis Jr, Carlos Correa (shocker I know), Jose Ramirez, and German Marquez in my only league.

What is everyone’s thoughts about teams in the consolation bracket continuing to play out their season competitively in a redraft league?

we have a new first year manager who missed the playoffs, but is hitting the waiver wire for 2 or 3 streamers a day. I dunno, part of it irks me, like dude, time to focus on football, but it’s also like I guess if you want to win 7th place that’s cool. If it was a dynasty I’d have zero issues, but his moves are impacting the playoffs now. I guess we always had it as an unspoken rule, like bats flips. 

Am am I just yelling at the kids to get off my damn lawn?

19 minutes ago, Choo on Wieters said:

What is everyone’s thoughts about teams in the consolation bracket continuing to play out their season competitively in a redraft league?

we have a new first year manager who missed the playoffs, but is hitting the waiver wire for 2 or 3 streamers a day. I dunno, part of it irks me, like dude, time to focus on football, but it’s also like I guess if you want to win 7th place that’s cool. If it was a dynasty I’d have zero issues, but his moves are impacting the playoffs now. I guess we always had it as an unspoken rule, like bats flips. 

IMO I'm more annoyed when owners check out.  So much so that we penalize the bottom 2 teams at the end of the regular season.  I'd rather have guys who play it out the whole season than who check out and have a dead team. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Choo on Wieters said:

If you’re out of playoffs in a redraft league, you shouldn’t be making moves.

Edited by mehtavg2000
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, kelle1sa said:

IMO I'm more annoyed when owners check out.  So much so that we penalize the bottom 2 teams at the end of the regular season.  I'd rather have guys who play it out the whole season than who check out and have a dead team. 

Oh I definitely agree there through the season.  I also just don't trust the new guy, who was an add by a manager currently in the playoffs, that no one else has met.  "Hey bud, mind using your 14 FA adds this week to diminish the streamer pool?"  Not saying that's the case, but I see room for abuse.

Again, I'd like teams to be involved through the 19 weeks, but if you're in the consolation bracket, there are no points for 7th place.  Honestly, I'd like there to be a setting to turn off the consolation matchups, which would give no reason for them to continue anyways.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, kelle1sa said:

Out of curiosity, how do you punish the last 2 teams?

52 minutes ago, mehtavg2000 said:

If you’re out of playoffs in a redraft league, you shouldn’t be making moves.

I disagree.  An owner puts in his time and is free to play through to the end no matter where he is in the standings.  You pay your money\time, you have that right imo.  As long as an owner is not doing something out of the ordinary (like picking up and then dropping top free agents just to mess up the waivers or dropping top players to the wire to mess things up), I have no problem with any owner playing his team through to the end.  The teams in contention should expect nothing less and keep up with the news\free agents themselves and stop worrying about what other owners are up to imo.

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, Cesare13 said:

Out of curiosity, how do you punish the last 2 teams?

$100 buy in every year.  The 2 last place teams pay an extra $60 each to cover the CBS league fee.  This also helps with garbage trade deadline deals as the bottom teams just can't give away players.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Choo on Wieters said:

Oh I definitely agree there through the season.  I also just don't trust the new guy, who was an add by a manager currently in the playoffs, that no one else has met.  "Hey bud, mind using your 14 FA adds this week to diminish the streamer pool?"  Not saying that's the case, but I see room for abuse.

Again, I'd like teams to be involved through the 19 weeks, but if you're in the consolation bracket, there are no points for 7th place.  Honestly, I'd like there to be a setting to turn off the consolation matchups, which would give no reason for them to continue anyways.

Our commish locks those teams not in playoffs from making moves.

4 hours ago, Choo on Wieters said:

We give a prize to the best increase in points since july to motivate the teams losing.  We also punich the last 2 teams. That usually takes care of some inactivity and apathy.

If there is a consolation bracket,i see no harm if the guys playing for pride.