Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

The guy who doesn’t want to be a closer looks to be closing it out. Lol! Kapler is the greatest RW troll in forum history. 😂

Edited by Flyman75
  • Like 2
  • Haha 1

1 minute ago, Flyman75 said:

The guy who doesn’t want to be a closer is closing it out. Lol! Kapler is the greatest RW troll in forum history. 😂

I hope Neshek give up 10 runs 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

He's working on it....

If you looked up the word douche in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of Kapler.   Definition would read, "smarter than this guy".
"

• Like 5

8 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I do too. Lol. 

Givens was warming for the 9th but he's in with 1 out in the 8th because the last guy loaded the bases. They're probably going to see if he can get the 5 out save, like when they had him try and go 2 innings against the Yankees last week.

3 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Neris warming

Probably should have been in the game to start the 9th.  Welcome to Philly where they play musical closers.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nobody is "the guy" in Philly.  Gabe Kapler doesn't believe in traditional closers and hasn't changed his position on that as far as I know.

Yep.

29 minutes ago, PremiumPlus said:

Givens was warming for the 9th but he's in with 1 out in the 8th because the last guy loaded the bases. They're probably going to see if he can get the 5 out save, like when they had him try and go 2 innings against the Yankees last week.

Looks like Givens is now the fireman?

3 minutes ago, bigboyish said:

Looks like Givens is now the fireman?

Kind of? He was literally the only decent person left in the pen and they needed to get out of that bases loaded jam. Had the Orioles not put 5 runs on in the bottom of the 8th he was going to come back out, but they have some C-Tier guy out there now with an 8 run lead.

Sucks that he doesn't get the save but I'm confident this was just the case of "bring in your 9th inning guy now because you have no choice". It'd be like if the A's brought Treinen in with 5 outs to go because they're in a jam and need him to clean it up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Goatstain3 said:

If you looked up the word douche in the dictionary, you'd find a picture of Kapler.   Definition would read, "smarter than this guy".
"

“Muscular, stupid manager who does not understand how to utilize a bullpen...”

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Bit new to fantasy but how much concern should you have that a closer is not getting save opportunities because his team is bad? Like Wade Davis for example. At a certain point, are closers in these situations even worth rostering?

• Like 1

Just now, mocha4313 said:

Bit new to fantasy but how much concern should you have that a closer is not getting save opportunities because his team is bad? Like Wade Davis for example. At a certain point, are closers in these situations even worth rostering?

Yes. Bad teams still win 60-70 games and a lot of those will be by 3 or less runs. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, mocha4313 said:

Yes.  But Wade is not on a bad team.  Don’t judge too harshly based on one road trip in Florida to start the season by a team way better at home.

• Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, BMcP said:

“Muscular, stupid manager who does not understand how to utilize a bullpen...”

I remember when the Phillies were in town, maybe sometime in July or August.  I was at a bar and I struck up a conversation with a visiting fan from Philly.  I remarked that the Phillies were surprisingly good so far that year.  He turned to me and said "we ain't winning anything so long as Kapler is the manager"... just like that the Phillies immidiately hit a tailspin.

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, mocha4313 said:

Can tell you as a long-time Royals fan that even in their horrible seasons they produced strong closers. As was pointed out before, bad teams generally have close games when they do win. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Kapler is simply, more interested in proving how smart he is, rather than winning games.  Always trying to reinvent the wheel.  And is exactly why, in three years, he'll be coaching first base, in Sumter, SC.

• Like 3