Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

35 minutes ago, CraftyRighty said:

I know it's a closers thread but does anyone see any sneaky MR that are looking real good this year. Feels like a year that rostering a couple is a good idea with the juiced ball situation

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I know very little about Fantasy Baseball, this is only my 2nd year.  Wade Davis, what is going on with this guy?  Everything I've read says he's the closer in CO but still has 0 saves... 

The Rockies have only won 3 games, none of which have had a save opportunity.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, Gryfter said:

If you have the room and need saves, yes hes worth stashing to see how it plays out.

So i loveladies as much as the next guy but all this fanfare over lovelady seems eerily similar to the brief parade that quickly went by for Zimmer.    

6 hours ago, Flynfiesta6 said:

I know very little about Fantasy Baseball, this is only my 2nd year.  Wade Davis, what is going on with this guy?  Everything I've read says he's the closer in CO but still has 0 saves... 

1 hour ago, 89Topps said:

The Rockies have only won 3 games, none of which have had a save opportunity.

and Wade got one of those wins.

btw, fades are indeed fickle.  i remember Wade starting off getting saves like crazy last year.  he had 18 saves by the end of May

20 minutes ago, street sharks said:

Barnes pitched the last out in the 7th and didn't come back out for the 8th

Finishing up the game: Sox up 2 runs in bottom of 8th.  Brasier warming.  Then Sox start to score and Thornburg joins him.  With now a 4 run lead Thornburg sent in.  He gives up a 2-run homer and Brasier immediately up in bullpen again.  Thornburg gets one out then Brasier called in to close it out.

Again, Barnes used as a fireman after E-Rod gave up the 2-run homer in 7th.  Brasier used as closer again since he was held out when the score reached a 4 run lead.  When it got back to a 2 run lead he gets sent in for the Save..

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

It will be interesting to see, if the Rangers still have the lead after 8 innings, does Woodward give Jose LeClerc the ball?  My guess is still yes, though if I think if LeClerc blows either of his next two save situations, he's almost certainly out as closer.

1 minute ago, FootballFan101 said:

It will be interesting to see, if the Rangers still have the lead after 8 innings, does Woodward give Jose LeClerc the ball?  My guess is still yes, though if I think if LeClerc blows either of his next two save situations, he's almost certainly out as closer.

Who would be the closer there if not for LeClerc??

Is it happening now for whoever is the Brasier lover here?  😀

Not that I'm complaining or anything since I own Brasier as well... lol

1 minute ago, bgbg22 said:

Who would be the closer there if not for LeClerc??

Don't know for sure, but my guess would be Kelley inherits it when LeClerc is removed as closer

Martin, Kelley, and Chavez gave up a run each. ^ leclerc's leash

• Like 2

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Finishing up the game: Sox up 2 runs in bottom of 8th.  Brasier warming.  Then Sox start to score and Thornburg joins him.  With now a 4 run lead Thornburg sent in.  He gives up a 2-run homer and Brasier immediately up in bullpen again.  Thornburg gets one out then Brasier called in to close it out.

Again, Barnes used as a fireman after E-Rod gave up the 2-run homer in 7th.  Brasier used as closer again since he was held out when the score reached a 4 run lead.  When it got back to a 2 run lead he gets sent in for the Save..

I don't think it counts as a fireman to be brought in the 7th inning with no one on and two outs to pitch to Hanser Alberto, a back up shortstop. A true fireman would face the tough hitters in the tough situations. And maybe work more than 1/3 of an inning/ Barnes wasn't even brought out for the 8th. It's looking more and more like Brasier is way head of Barnes in any pecking order,

Treinen looked a lot better tonight but he still was a bit off. Hopefully he keeps returning to ace form from last year.

50 minutes ago, Jericho said:

I don't think it counts as a fireman to be brought in the 7th inning with no one on and two outs to pitch to Hanser Alberto, a back up shortstop. A true fireman would face the tough hitters in the tough situations. And maybe work more than 1/3 of an inning/ Barnes wasn't even brought out for the 8th. It's looking more and more like Brasier is way head of Barnes in any pecking order,

The 2-run homer made it 3-2 and so Barnes was used to stop the bleeding immediately.  Which is still a fireman role.

The 2-run homer made it 3-2 and so Barnes was used to stop the bleeding immediately.  Which is still a fireman role.

What bleeding? Giving up a homer? A fireman is used to get the tough outs. Getting the bottom third of the Orioles order out with none on and two outs is hardly high leverage. virtually any pitcher in the bullpen should be able to do that. The higher leverage outs would be in the 8th and 9th with actual good hitters (relatively speaking) coming up.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

I might be wrong, but I’m fairly certain Mariano Rivera or Billy Wagner never got brought in the 7th inning. 

• Haha 1

8 hours ago, TheNephilim said:

So i loveladies as much as the next guy but all this fanfare over lovelady seems eerily similar to the brief parade that quickly went by for Zimmer.    

😂

With bullpens, you never how things will work out. I dont know how that guy's league is but its usually better to stash and drop if it doesnt work out than trying to beat the rest of the league trying to grab the guy if Lovelady does get a save op and converts.

18 minutes ago, juice219 said:

I might be wrong, but I’m fairly certain Mariano Rivera or Billy Wagner never got brought in the 7th inning. 

I’m fairly certain those guys pitched around 20 years or so in a totally different environment for how to handle bullpens.

• Like 2

Counsel is riding Hader too hard its only April I don't want to see this stud get hurt.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Jericho said:

What bleeding? Giving up a homer? A fireman is used to get the tough outs. Getting the bottom third of the Orioles order out with none on and two outs is hardly high leverage. virtually any pitcher in the bullpen should be able to do that. The higher leverage outs would be in the 8th and 9th with actual good hitters (relatively speaking) coming up.

Lotta snark here.

Barnes started warming with a man in scoring position and 1 out. Eddy was toast. He was hitting 94-95 earlier and was barely getting by at 90-91. Every pitch was down 3-5 mph and it was clear he was done. Had Cora mystically predicted a home run, Barnes wouldn’t have been the choice. It was looking like a huge point in the game and potentially the “fire”. After the home run, would you rather sit Barnes down and be like “hey man never mind, there was a home run so don’t bother”? 

As for, any reliever should be able to get these guys out...there’s two relievers in the bullpen they trust. Barnes and brasier. That’s literally it. They let thornburg take the ninth when they were up by 4 and he was horrible. 

Oh and there isn’t much difference 1-9 in the Orioles batting order. It’s equally bad throughout. That was looking to be the biggest moment of the game, and the last week or so, Barnes has started warming when things don’t look good

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Gryfter said:

😂

With bullpens, you never how things will work out. I dont know how that guy's league is but its usually better to stash and drop if it doesnt work out than trying to beat the rest of the league trying to grab the guy if Lovelady does get a save op and converts.

But we DO know how things work out. We would never know if it didn't happen . Sorry I just DON'T know why people say you NEVER KNOW .

I dropped Ian Kennedy in a 12 teamer.  The KC situation is simply not worth the roster spot unless you're totally desperate for saves.

7 hours ago, sjs1890 said:

Counsel is riding Hader too hard its only April I don't want to see this stud get hurt.

Jeffress is back soon

7 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

I dropped Ian Kennedy in a 12 teamer.  The KC situation is simply not worth the roster spot unless you're totally desperate for saves.

I mean, we are desperate for saves. It’s why we’re all here.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2
  • Haha 4

33 minutes ago, Hatfieldodger said:

Jeffress is back soon

Will Jeffress even be effective tho?

• Like 1