Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Wasn't the prettiest, but I'll take it. I'm looking forward to everyone else in that pen besides him getting the next 5-6 save opportunities.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Big moment for Neris and his chances to get the majority of the save opps going forward.

I don't think Kapler is ever going to go to a closer in the strict sense of the term, so that's really all you can ask/hope for. 

2 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Neris looked shaky there.  Lucky Broxton was up at the end.

I thought the split looked good, that was a weak contact infield hit that otherwise should have ended the game 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

Viz is out for the season in Atlanta.  Shoulder surgery.  Kimbrel has to land there now no?  Regardless, is Minter still the man right now despite the struggles?

Jeffress in for the Brewers down 4 in the 8th.  Just struck out Gyorko. I saw a 93mph fastball in the play by play.   93 is encouraging.

7 minutes ago, Yceman1234 said:

Neris looked shaky there.  Lucky Broxton was up at the end.

Looked shaky how? The splitter looked elite, the fastball looked good.

• Like 2

Jeffres back and has pitched 2/3 of an inning so far. One strike out to his only batter really faced. The other out was a caught stealing. Sitting at 90-93 with his fastball. Would like to see it a bit higher than that.

Edited by hangin n wangin

15 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Viz is out for the season in Atlanta.  Shoulder surgery.  Kimbrel has to land there now no?  Regardless, is Minter still the man right now despite the struggles?

It’s Minters job until/if Kimbrel is signed. Minter struggled last time out, however it was a tie game and Acuna should have caught what ended up being a two run double. He will get another opportunity and if he falters then I would expect the Kimbrel talks to really pick up. 

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, hailtoyourvictor said:

Looked shaky how? The splitter looked elite, the fastball looked good.

Neris also inherited two runners

• Like 1

Just now, Baseball Or Bust said:

Who’s next in Atlanta,  minter is struggling and viz is out for the year.  

Probably Kimbrel.  I think this injury may force the Braves’ hand.

2 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

A giant trainwreck

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Can we give Minter some time?   I mean he was hurt up until a week and a half ago.  He was pretty good last year when he closed.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, reichl555 said:

Can we give Minter some time?   I mean he was hurt up until a week and a half ago.  He was pretty good last year when he closed.

I'd be willing to give him as much time as he needs,  but I doubt the Atlanta staff is willing to put up with a 30 ERA and 5 WHIP ROS. 

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Well Mr Blurb Guy sez:

Arodys Vizcaino underwent surgery on his right elbow to repair labrum and remove scar tissue on Wednesday, and is expected to miss the rest of the 2019 season.

Vizcaino was placed on the 10-day injured list with right shoulder inflammation, but clearly, there was more to it than that. The right-hander will now have a long road back to recover from the shoulder procedure, and keep in mind that the success rate with pitchers coming back from this type of operation isn't the same as Tommy John or similar operations. A.J. Minter will likely serve as the closer for the remainder of the season for Atlanta.

Source: David O'Brien on Twitter                        Apr 17, 2019, 4:07 PM

So was Vizcaino's injury caused by Kimbrel sticking a voodoo doll of him full of pins?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

I'd be willing to give him as much time as he needs,  but I doubt the Atlanta staff is willing to put up with a 30 ERA and 5 WHIP ROS. 

Well in 2018 he had an era of 3.23 and a whip of 1.28.  So if you want to judge him from a couple of innings in 2019 go ahead.  I’m sure if Kimbrel decides to sign, he’ll slide right into that role and dominate without having pitched for how long. 

• Like 1

Meanwhile in KC bullpen, Peralta was brought into a nearly impossible situation in the 8th.  Yost brought him in with a 1 run lead with the bases loaded, no outs in the 8th.   Got first batter on a check swing groundout force at home.   Gave up a single to Garcia to let in the tying run, but then got a double play from Palka to get out of the inning.  He did pretty good all things considered, even though it will show up in the box score as a BS.  He's back out to start the 9th.  

Edited by swingbatter
  • Like 1