Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

1 hour ago, jfazz23 said:

nick anderson dark horse

Yup....nice recovery striking out the next 3 betters after serving up the HR to Dozier tonight. Hopefully DonMat gets the axe soon, he should be a batting coach and nothing more:/

Romo looked filthy in a 1-2-3 save

Edited by cyberer

7 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Cody Allen is done.

Ausmus gave Green a ton of leash unfortunately. It's probably gonna be a while before he pulls Allen. Idek who the grab would be. Ideally Buttrey but he was used in the 6th tonight

7 minutes ago, MissingLink said:

Elias is warming up for Seattle for the bottom of the 9th. No Swarzak

I guess  i’m not too happy to see this, but hopefully Swarzak is out there again for the next closing opportunity. 

44 minutes ago, street sharks said:

lol phillies

What happened?  Only Phillie reliever I still have is Sir Anthony in one league and I saw he was perfect getting out his one lone batter.  Progress there.

1 hour ago, street sharks said:

lol phillies

52 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

What happened?  Only Phillie reliever I still have is Sir Anthony in one league and I saw he was perfect getting out his one lone batter.  Progress there.

From what I can tell the bullpen was used wisely.  Neris struck out the side in the 9th, Morgan and Neshek handled 7th and 8th without damage.   Maybe using Sir Anthony for a single hitter in the 6th annoyed the poster?? 

• Thanks 1

Allen blew another game for the Angels. Not a save but gave up a walk, two hits and runs after the team managed to tie it against Seattle in the eighth. He was pulled after getting zero outs.

Seattle...Elias closed out the game to pick up another save.

6 hours ago, Dislimb said:

He’s melting down hardcore. I’d rage drop him, but there’s nobody else I’d rather have that’s in my FA pool. Both of those homers were absolute meatballs smothered in marinara sauce. He looked awful last night too.

Castillo has been too good not to bounce back.  The pitch to Betts' was over the meat of the plate (at 97 mph) and was whacked accordingly on a 2-1 pitch.  Moreland's (98 mph) was on the outer 1/3 part of the plate in a decent location with some movement.   I don't think that pitch ends up in the bleachers that often.    I doubt there's too much to make out of his last couple of days - disappointing as they were...

2 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

Castillo has been too good not to bounce back.  The pitch to Betts' was over the meat of the plate (at 97 mph) and was whacked accordingly on a 2-1 pitch.  Moreland's (98 mph) was on the outer 1/3 part of the plate in a decent location with some movement.   I don't think that pitch ends up in the bleachers that often.    I doubt there's too much to make out of his last couple of days - disappointing as they were...

Sounds like a guy that owns him......I agree with a bounce back though. Have to think Alvarado is the closer.

3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Allen blew another game for the Angels. Not a save but gave up a walk, two hits and runs after the team managed to tie it against Seattle in the eighth. He was pulled after getting zero outs.

That's 3 straight games with >1ER for Allen. Is it buttrey time in LAA?

3 hours ago, AnonymousRob said:

Swarzak is dump city then. I would rather have Elias, a guy who has back to back saves

51 minutes ago, Team Dynasty said:

Sounds like a guy that owns him......I agree with a bounce back though. Have to think Alvarado is the closer.

Indeed I do own him and he's been cruising until the last 2 days.  However, I don't think/hope he overtakes Alvarado as closer either as I am using him for holds where he's been extremely valuable to me from the SP slot...   

• Like 1

5 hours ago, knuckleheads said:

From what I can tell the bullpen was used wisely.  Neris struck out the side in the 9th, Morgan and Neshek handled 7th and 8th without damage.   Maybe using Sir Anthony for a single hitter in the 6th annoyed the poster?? 

Yeah for whatever reason Seranthony doesn’t seem to be in the mix for saves. Philly/Kapler certainly using a committee but the usage suggests Neris is distancing himself a bit. 

I know it’s been stated before but when you look at the second half numbers along with how he’s started this year, Neris has a chance to be a...wait for it... top 5 closer ROS if he gets consistent opportunities. 

2018 2nd half: 2.04 ERA, 0.91 WHIP, 35 Ks, 5 BB, .172 BAA in 17.2 IP

2019 so far: 2.25 ERA, 0.75 WHIP, 13 Ks, 2 BB, .143 BAA in 8 IP

That’s filth. 

• Like 3

3 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

Swarzak is dump city then. I would rather have Elias, a guy who has back to back saves

I was on the fence but when a guy gets back to back saves, the other guy is out of the picture for the time being

14 minutes ago, CharlesHustle said:

Swarzak had pitched two straight games, so he was probably unavailable. I’m not sure you can anoint Elias just yet. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, street sharks said:

Ausmus gave Green a ton of leash unfortunately. It's probably gonna be a while before he pulls Allen. Idek who the grab would be. Ideally Buttrey but he was used in the 6th tonight

Robles?

what are you swarzak owners doing? anyone dropping for elias? im having a hard time pulling the trigger for elias but im sure he wont be available much longer

The fact that Elias is a lefty might play into this so I still think both guys will see chances. It is still a committee