Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

23 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Nothing to see here.

Both Alvarado and Castillo had pitched in 3 of the previous 4 games and were unavailable tonight.

Are we sure nothing to see here? Back-to-saves?

Romo making it look easy with another 1-2-3 save. He’s 100% the guy at this point and now the question is how long can he keep it up and what’s the leash? 

That said, he’s outperforming even my bullish projections of him.

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, michaelai3 said:

Are we sure nothing to see here? Back-to-saves?

Still sure there’s nothing to see there. Alvarado and Castillo were both used a ton this last week. Rays were up by 4 in the 8th inning and Pagan was already warming up when the Royals scored a run to make it 5-2. Cash just went with the loose arm instead of rushing one of his best two guys out there.

Pagan has a pretty extensive history of closing in the minors, but his stuff is nowhere near the caliber of Alvarado’s or Castillo’s. He’s a nice piece to have in the pen “just in case” but there is no way he becomes “the guy” on this team with the two beasts they already have there who have excelled in the role.

• Like 7

Iglesias with another one inning save.  He's thriving as a traditional closer.  
I have him in my league but I'm glad that Seaver's record ten K's in a row still stands.

• Like 1

Dark horse? 

by RotoWire Staff
(6 hrs ago) Martinez (shoulder) will pitch out of the bullpen when he's activated from the injured list, Mark Saxon of The Athletic reports.

Martinez is scheduled to throw live practice later in the week, although manager Mike Shildt has already determined that the 27-year-old will head to the bullpen when he's ready to return. Martinez bounced between the starting rotation and the bullpen during the 2018 campaign, and he turned in positive results, posting a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts over 118.2 frames.

19 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Dark horse? 

by RotoWire Staff
(6 hrs ago) Martinez (shoulder) will pitch out of the bullpen when he's activated from the injured list, Mark Saxon of The Athletic reports.

Martinez is scheduled to throw live practice later in the week, although manager Mike Shildt has already determined that the 27-year-old will head to the bullpen when he's ready to return. Martinez bounced between the starting rotation and the bullpen during the 2018 campaign, and he turned in positive results, posting a 3.11 ERA with 117 strikeouts over 118.2 frames.

My biased Hicks-owning opinion: no

My objective unbiased opinion: also no

• Like 2
  • Haha 2

3 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Still sure there’s nothing to see there. Alvarado and Castillo were both used a ton this last week. Rays were up by 4 in the 8th inning and Pagan was already warming up when the Royals scored a run to make it 5-2. Cash just went with the loose arm instead of rushing one of his best two guys out there.

Pagan has a pretty extensive history of closing in the minors, but his stuff is nowhere near the caliber of Alvarado’s or Castillo’s. He’s a nice piece to have in the pen “just in case” but there is no way he becomes “the guy” on this team with the two beasts they already have there who have excelled in the role.

it would be the most out of no where closer of the year if that were to actually happen.  Given the two guys who have been closing have generally done a great job I just can't see it. I am just thinking perhaps he manager wanted to give his two relief horses an extra day rest?  Maybe Pagan was only going to be around for a bit and they wanted to use him again?  Not sure the answer.  However, now that Pagan has closed two games in a row he cannot be ignored should the other two falter.   For now I am expecting status quo though...

• Like 1

47 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

it would be the most out of no where closer of the year if that were to actually happen.  Given the two guys who have been closing have generally done a great job I just can't see it. I am just thinking perhaps he manager wanted to give his two relief horses an extra day rest?  Maybe Pagan was only going to be around for a bit and they wanted to use him again?  Not sure the answer.  However, now that Pagan has closed two games in a row he cannot be ignored should the other two falter.   For now I am expecting status quo though...

Honestly, Pagan profiles much better as an opener than he does as a closer... at least on this Rays team. In fact, he was used as an opener in a AAA game last week.

1 minute ago, Dislimb said:

Honestly, Pagan profiles much better as an opener than he does as a closer... at least on this Rays team. In fact, he was used as an opener in a AAA game last week.

then wtf is he doing in the 9th lmao 

this usage is puzzling since they have alvarado and castillo

1 minute ago, street sharks said:

then wtf is he doing in the 9th lmao 

this usage is puzzling since they have alvarado and castillo

1- Both of those guys pitched a ton this week. They both had pitched in 3 out of the previous 4 games, including 2 straight, heading into Monday nights game and were unavailable. The 9th inning was a low leverage, 3 run lead against a mediocre opponent.

2- It was not a save situation in Tuesday night’s game (score was 5-1) in the 8th inning when Pagan began to warm up. The Royals tacked on a run late in the 8th inning to make it a save situation. Pagan was already up and loose in the pen and once again, the 9th inning was a low leverage, 3 run lead against a mediocre opponent.

3- Pagan doesn’t have nearly as good of stuff as either Alvarado or Castillo. Pagan’s FB sits at 93-94 mph to go with an above average slider and a mediocre curveball that he hardly uses. Alvarado’s FB sits at 99 mph with inhuman amounts of movement to go with a heavy sinker and an outstanding slider. Castillo’s FB sits at 98 mph with excellent command to go with a heavy sinker and an outstanding slider.

Pagan is not going to be the closer in St. Pete as long as these two guys are around.

• Like 6

I think those saying "nothing to see here" with the Pagan back-to-back saves are mistaken...

Not saying that Pagan will "all-of-a-sudden" become the closer...but both Castillo and Alvarado have taken L's in 2 out of their last 3 games they've pitched. That's 4 L's amongst the 2 of them.

Pagan may not be the closer, but I think he's at the very least put his name into the fire. If Alvarado f's up in the future, you never know.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, CORTEz said:

I think those saying "nothing to see here" with the Pagan back-to-back saves are mistaken...

Not saying that Pagan will "all-of-a-sudden" become the closer...but both Castillo and Alvarado have taken L's in 2 out of their last 3 games they've pitched. That's 4 L's amongst the 2 of them.

Pagan may not be the closer, but I think he's at the very least put his name into the fire. If Alvarado f's up in the future, you never know.

Well anyone who gets two saves in two days is going to be a name that the manager will remember in the future.   So in a sense he has earned some consideration going forward.   However, I think the next time Pagan gets a shot at closing a game will be the next time something like that happens in which both guys need a rest.  The Alvarado-Castillo duo have been virtually as good as any 8th and 9th duo in the majors this year so they'll be back in there next time their needed.  Sometimes relievers blow a lead but they've been great overall.

Dislimb's post breaks it down very well...

• Like 1

2 hours ago, CORTEz said:

“Really appreciate the effort the guys have given the last two nights,’’ Cash said. “For us to be able to stay away from Jose and Diego is huge. … I think it shows our depth. We kind of pride ourselves on being as deep as possible and to win ballgames without those two, close games, is really nice.’’

https://www.tampabay.com/sports/2019/04/24/rays-journal-just-about-everything-works-out-in-a-5-2-win-over-royals/

7 hours ago, cyberer said:

Dark horse? 

by RotoWire Staff

The guy has been a starter and they should be building up his arm.  So a multi-innings / 6th man guy seems more what he should be doesn't it?

• Like 1

8 hours ago, cyberer said:

Dark horse? 

by RotoWire Staff

Hicks has been fine and he's their closer of the future. No reason to yank him around. Plus, coming back from injury I'd think they'd want to dictate when and how they use Martinez. That control goes away when you make him the closer. I could see him ending up with 2-3 saves by the end of the year but he's not supplanting Hicks as long as he's healthy.

Edited by fletch44

11 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Hicks has been fine and he's their closer of the future. No reason to yank him around. Plus, coming back from injury I'd think they'd want to dictate when and how they use Martinez. That control goes away when you make him the closer. I could see him ending up with 2-3 saves by the end of the year but he's not supplanting Hicks as long as he's healthy.

Right. Seems like a waste of breath discussing the matter. You see folks, Carlos Martinez is a SP, he wants to win games not save them. 

Anyone watch Jeffress pitch today? I know it wasn’t a save situation. Seems like the Brewers haven’t had one in awhile but from the stat line looks like he got a couple Ks in an inning of work.  I’m curious if anyone knows how his velocity and pitches looked. 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Anyone watch Jeffress pitch today? I know it wasn’t a save situation. Seems like the Brewers haven’t had one in awhile but from the stat line looks like he got a couple Ks in an inning of work.  I’m curious if anyone knows how his velocity and pitches looked. 

People in the gamely thread said he was sitting 91 with his FB but looked good otherwise. 

Just now, Dirty Little Birdie said:

People in the gamely thread said he was sitting 91 with his FB but looked good otherwise. 

91 isnt near ideal however, if i had him i wouldn't be optimistic at this point, things could change but......