Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

6 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I admittedly haven't watched or researched Buttrey enough, but from what I've seen he hasn't impressed me. guess I need to keep watching...I'm on the Robles train for now.

Buttery is impressive. But yea, I think they will put him in more of the fire man role, like they did last night.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, CraftyRighty said:

Are the owners in my leagues hasty in dropping Barnes or are they smartly proactive?

Came to ask same thing.  He’s had some adventures lately.  He’s missing bats but giving up bombs and hits.  Seems like he’s safely behind Brazzers now?

I am not saying Brasier is gonna suck.

I was saying it's not a committee. It's Braiser's job to lose.

1 minute ago, TheBigBambino said:

Closermonkey agrees that Buttrey will be the first choice

Not saying you or they are wrong, but I haven't really trusted Closermonkey's analysis for awhile now unfortunately.

• Like 6

3 hours ago, Members_Only_76 said:

I admittedly haven't watched or researched Buttrey enough, but from what I've seen he hasn't impressed me. guess I need to keep watching...I'm on the Robles train for now.

Stuff is nasty.  Looks even better than last year.

I don’t want any part of Robles and I wouldn’t recommend adding him unless you are absolutely desperate for saves, especially in roto. His career numbers aren’t very inspiring to say the least:

256.0 IP - 3.87 ERA - 1.27 WHIP - 9.9 K/9 - 3.9 BB/9 - 4.15 FIP - 4.30 xFIP - .277 BABIP - 32.4 GB% - 75.2 LOB%

He’s pretty much JAG when you look at those numbers. If he ends up being “the guy” for the Angels, he may pick up some saves, but at what cost? He looks pretty detrimental to your ratios and no better than other options they already have. He’s strictly a fastball/slider guy who throws a pretty ineffective changeup once in a blue moon. His FB sits at 96 mph and the slider at 88 mph.

Here’s some other numbers for you to ponder:

213.2 IP - 3.92 ERA - 1.41 WHIP - 9.8 K/9 - 4.0 BB/9 - 3.53 FIP - 3.94 xFIP - .327 BABIP - 45.3 GB% - 71.2 LOB%

Those are the career numbers of another RHP in the Angels bullpen. This guy is also strictly a fastball/slider guy with a once in a blue moon changeup. He’s pitched just as well as, if not better than Robles over their careers. He’s much better at inducing ground balls and strikes out and walks batters at virtually the same rate. He’s just had much worse luck over his 200+ innings when you look at the .050 disparity in BABIP. This pitcher is Cam Bedrosian whom is looked at as JAG. So why is Robles any different?

Again, if you are absolutely desperate for saves and have some wiggle room as far as your rates are concerned, I understand. But other than that, Robles looks gross to me and I would avoid.

• Like 5

1 hour ago, Dislimb said:

I don’t want any part of Robles and I wouldn’t recommend adding him unless you are absolutely desperate for saves, especially in roto. His career numbers aren’t very inspiring to say the least:

256.0 IP - 3.87 ERA - 1.27 WHIP - 9.9 K/9 - 3.9 BB/9 - 4.15 FIP - 4.30 xFIP - .277 BABIP - 32.4 GB% - 75.2 LOB%

He’s pretty much JAG when you look at those numbers. If he ends up being “the guy” for the Angels, he may pick up some saves, but at what cost? He looks pretty detrimental to your ratios and no better than other options they already have. He’s strictly a fastball/slider guy who throws a pretty ineffective changeup once in a blue moon. His FB sits at 96 mph and the slider at 88 mph.

213.2 IP - 3.92 ERA - 1.41 WHIP - 9.8 K/9 - 4.0 BB/9 - 3.53 FIP - 3.94 xFIP - .327 BABIP - 45.3 GB% - 71.2 LOB%

Those are the career numbers of another RHP in the Angels bullpen. This guy is also strictly a fastball/slider guy with a once in a blue moon changeup. He’s pitched just as well as, if not better than Robles over their careers. He’s much better at inducing ground balls and strikes out and walks batters at virtually the same rate. He’s just had much worse luck over his 200+ innings when you look at the .050 disparity in BABIP. This pitcher is Cam Bedrosian whom is looked at as JAG. So why is Robles any different?

Again, if you are absolutely desperate for saves and have some wiggle room as far as your rates are concerned, I understand. But other than that, Robles looks gross to me and I would avoid.

I feel like with relievers, there's so much variance year to year you can't put too much stock in past numbers. His velocity is up this year, and he's got great peripherals right now. Might as well grab and hold until he gives you a reason not to

• Like 6
  • Thanks 2

2 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Some good stuff here. But this year,he is absolutely elite in every advanced pitching metric (granted,it’s only 11 innings, but can provide some indication.) His  xba is elite and has fallen every year.  The walk rate is falling and the k rate is climbing, to an absurd amount this year.  His average exit velocity, which is telling even at 11 innings pitched, is a ridiculous 85 mph. He’s young enough at 28 to have taken the next step.  If as someone above  said,his velocity has increased,and his walk rate has decreased (usually the last thing pitchers improve on) we could be looking at an elite k guy with low walks and a soft contact rate.  So,ultimately an elite closer. But people can come up with statistics to prove anything....40% of people know that.

Edited by Cesare13
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

The posters advising Robles must not be Mets fans.

This!  This guy seemed awful in most crucial situations while on the Mets.

• Like 1

third save in a row for romo with a 1-2-3 inning. Dude is locked in right now

Why neris was left in for a 2nd inning to set up this opportunity is anyone's guess

Edited by cyberer

So, I’m hoping there’s a save opp for the Angels here tonight...

As an Allen owner, would you drop him and add one of the speculative guys or just hold him? Because you know that as soon as he’s dropped he’s going to get the gig back. 

Just now, MoonyGray said:

So, I’m hoping there’s a save opp for the Angels here tonight...

As an Allen owner, would you drop him and add one of the speculative guys or just hold him? Because you know that as soon as he’s dropped he’s going to get the gig back. 

I have zero faith in Allen and think the only way he gets the job back is if he's suddenly lights out and the other guys melt down. I don't think that's very likely.

17 minutes ago, Zeezee said:

But did the Angels actually ever commit to a closer last year? 

Middleton before he got hurt.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Cody Allen can’t even pitch mop up well.  DFA coming soon.  

Come on Cody! Make it a save situation so we see how Hansel does

Not a save situation for Robles either RIP

Tying runner in the hole

Edited by street sharks