Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

On the plus side, Robles looked good and got Sanchez to fly out after coming in with the bases loaded. He threw 3 96mph fastballs for strikes then got the lazy fly on a slider.

• Like 2

I'm telling you, Robles Is the guy to own here. Buttrey will be used in more of a fireman's role...you heard it here.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Leclerc is in the seventh with the team down 12-0.

🤔

He’s on my sh it list 

2 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

🤔

hasn't pitched since the 21st and the 17th before that. Hard to get your stuff straightened out when you don't pitch much.

• Like 4

4 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

🤔

Started great, with another base on balls...

4 minutes ago, nlm said:

I'm telling you, Robles Is the guy to own here. Buttrey will be used in more of a fireman's role...you heard it here.

Only 1 out?!

Just now, pbjfb said:

Shawn Kelley is a must-add now

Leclerc working on getting him a save tonight!

• Haha 1

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Leclerc working on getting him a save tonight!

🤨

• Haha 1

Just now, midlip said:

Only 1 out?!

That has nothing to do with my point. Ausmus likes using Buttrey in fireman situations, as evidence from last night. Robles has it all going for him--the walkup video, the opportunity, and when you just look as where they're being deployed, It makes the most sense.

Perhaps there will be more clarity when there is a night when both are available. But I am pretty certain this will be Robles' job to lose.

4 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Shawn Kelley is a must-add now

Woodward seems adamant about trying to get Leclerc right. Probably has something to do with the contract that was thrown at him, but I think he still sees save chances. 

14 minutes ago, nlm said:

That has nothing to do with my point. Ausmus likes using Buttrey in fireman situations, as evidence from last night. Robles has it all going for him--the walkup video, the opportunity, and when you just look as where they're being deployed, It makes the most sense.

Perhaps there will be more clarity when there is a night when both are available. But I am pretty certain this will be Robles' job to lose.

You’re reading into this what you want to read into, not reality. And Im not telling you that you’re wrong, he very well is likely to see save chances as well as fireman role, but as little as 10 days ago he was going into games with the Angels down, multiple runs, in the middle innings

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut

1 minute ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

You’re reading into this what you want to read into, not reality. And Im not telling you that you’re wrong, he very well is likely to see save chances, but as little as 10 days ago he was going into games with the Angels down, multiple runs, in the middle innings 

Look at Buttrey's recent usage. Also, things change. As little as 10 days ago, Cody Allen had a hold of the closers role.

Edited by nlm
  • Like 1

Just now, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Was meant for another of your posts. I just replied with the same to the right one 

No worries I realized that.

18 minutes ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Get Leclerc outta there my ratios can’t handle it

If you can't handle a couple of baserunners, you should quit this game.
Leclerc struck out the final 2 batters.

• Haha 1

11 minutes ago, nlm said:

Woodward seems adamant about trying to get Leclerc right. Probably has something to do with the contract that was thrown at him, but I think he still sees save chances. 

He kinda failed tonight at handling a low pressure situation down 12-0, giving up a walk and a double to vogelbach, though he did strike out the next 2. I don't know how much longer he can give him, at least for the time being he will be used in such situations to "get right", but I don't see how he can get any save opps until they gain confidence in him again

2 minutes ago, nlm said:

Look at Buttrey's recent usage. Also, things change. As little as 10 days ago, Cody Allen had a hold of the closers role.

I did. And what I told you is what’s happened and it’s as recently as last week where he was brought in....

down 5 in the 7th 

Down 3 in the 5th 

down 2 in the 6th

if you think this is symbolic of Ausmus liking to use him in the fireman role, then you have an preposterously odd definition of fireman role

• Like 1

Well. he certainly isn't using him in high leverage roles.

• Like 1

I guess Elias is not the closer 

4 minutes ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Can you please pick a side in this?

Yes. I think Robles will see more save chances than Buttrey, That's all my original post's intent was. You've turned this into a pissing match.

Buttrey was used in a fireman role just last night. I guess fact is, he's being used across the board. Does that bode well for his save chances? No.

Edited by nlm
typo

1 minute ago, nlm said:

Yes. I think Robles will see more save chances than Buttrey, That's all my original post's intent was. You've turned this into a pissing match.

I’ve done nothing of the sort. I’ve only provided facts which only made you waiver from your original point about how Ausmus likes to use him which was based off of one outing

Edited by Junkie Cosmonaut