Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Closers are dumb

I give up

• Like 4
  • Haha 4

What's up with TB? Wasn't been a situation I was following closely until Alvarado was dropped in my league.  Surprised me until I looked at the numbers a bit.  Full blown committee or does someone have the edge?

Edited by Baur10

5 hours ago, Dislimb said:

Roses are red

Violets are blue

Closers are dumb

I give up

*tears up a little*  That's the most beautiful thing I've read all morning...

Or, at the very least, very true. 😀

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Baur10 said:

What's up with TB? Wasn't been a situation I was following closely until Alvarado was dropped in my league.  Surprised me until I looked at the numbers a bit.  Full blown committee or does someone have the edge?

Pagan got in a row,but that was on 2 back to back days.  Alvarado and Castillo had been used pretty hard for 3 of the last 4 days bedore this.  Cash seems to be doing something or other to protect his pitchers from injury.  He pulled snell after 80 pitches of like 1 hit 1 walk ball against the jays.   If alvarado was the absolute undisputed closer,hed be a top 5 type.  As it stands, its uncertain.  Im keepjng him hoping for 20+ saves with great ratios.   Hes definately worth holding onto if possible as he likely wont kill you while youre waiting to find out.

• Like 3

Don't drop Allen yet.  They will likely give him another shot after the DL stint.  So long as he's pitching ok.

1 hour ago, dicka24 said:

Don't drop Allen yet.  They will likely give him another shot after the DL stint.  So long as he's pitching ok.

Your third sentence does not compute with your first sentence.

He already lost the job before they put him on the IL.

18 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

He already lost the job before they put him on the IL.

Allen has been there done that before.   This is like Cody Allen’s callinb card.   He blows up early season,  then “gets removed”/ ghost DL stint.  Then comes back and dominated ROS.  Honestly if you’ve got an open DL spot and he’s been dropped in your league.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to stop him up just to see what happens.

• Like 1

Lolol..not sure you have even followed him this year after reading this

Ausmus has a history of operating a certain way with his closers, and his m.o. says Allen will get a shot again unless he's just abysmal upon his return off the IL.  Odds are he's cooked, but I think he'll get another chance to prove so with Ausmus.

17 minutes ago, Baseball Or Bust said:

Allen has been there done that before.   This is like Cody Allen’s callinb card.   He blows up early season,  then “gets removed”/ ghost DL stint.  Then comes back and dominated ROS.  Honestly if you’ve got an open DL spot and he’s been dropped in your league.  It wouldn’t be a bad idea to stop him up just to see what happens.

Didn't do it last year.  He stunk at the beginning.  He stunk in the middle.  He just plain stunk all season.  Honestly, if Robles gets enough opportunities to run away with it while Allen is out, he's just simply the better pitcher at this point in their careers.

• Like 1

When Cody Allen has too throw more than 20 pitches it usual doesn't have a happy ending for him. 

If the Rays can somehow escape this inning, we might see Pagan in for another save opp...

1 hour ago, michaelai3 said:

Pagan in for the save again.

Alvarado/Castillo resting excuse don't work this time...

looks like it was going to be Castillo 8th and Alvarado 9th as usual but Castillo got into a jam so Alvardo came in to put out the fire. Leaving Pagan for the 9th. . .

Rays have been winning games but the closer situation is a little annoying. I would think it's still alvarado. . .

• Like 3

12 minutes ago, ygung said:

Alvarado/Castillo resting excuse don't work this time...

They brought Castillo in in the 8th and he gave up a homer to Betts and started to get into trouble.  Alvarado was brought in to put out the fire with one out which he managed to do while running around barefoot some on the embers but managed to get out of the inning unscathed.  But he was a little shaky and threw a lot of pitches.  If he came in and got the last two outs in the 8th quickly I think he would have stayed for the 9th as well.  He didn't so Pagan was sent to warm up for the 9th instead.

My take is Alvarado isn't demoted after today from closer.  But he may have to time share some with Pagan for awhile if Cash gets cutesy. 

And Pagan's stats looked good but there were two different balls that Benny and Moreland just missed on and fouled off that given another millimeter or so on the bat/ball contact would have been well over the Green Monster.  So Pagan did good but not great as in he did not look untouchable or anything.  He looked half good and half lucky.

Summary:  Had Castillo done his job Alvarado would have been brought in in the 9th.  Castillo didn't and we had a domino effect.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 2

strike zone was SUPER tight but neris survives with a gutsy K to end the game. He looks to be "the guy"

• Like 3

Hate to say it guys but Neris in his last 6-7 appearances has been used as a typical closer. No commitee. Usually 3 is the magic number to come to such a conclusion but this has been going longer than that and even overlapped when Robertson was healthy

We could be looking at the ROS Philly closer in Neris

• Like 3

Just now, terminator10 said:

Hate to say it guys but Neris in his last 6-7 appearances has been used as a typical closer. No commitee. Usually 3 is the magic number to come to such a conclusion but this has been going longer than that and even overlapped when Robertson was healthy

Agree 100%. He's been pretty good too even counting that HR - loss the other day

1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

And Pagan's stats looked good but there were two different balls that Benny and Moreland just missed on and fouled off that given another millimeter or so on the bat/ball contact would have been well over the Green Monster.  So Pagan did good but not great as in he did not look untouchable or anything.  He looked half good and half lucky.

This is interesting, because it's like a microcosm of who Pagan is as a pitcher based on his stats.

His K and BB numbers are usually really nice, but he gives up a ton of fly balls, and he's always walking a fine line when it comes to avoiding HRs.

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

I remember David Robertson was coming back in May?

Lol Minter was going to get out of it. Loss of control. He will be fine. Love the overreactions.

• Like 1