Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

I liked the “We Want Kimbrel” cheer there

1 minute ago, MoonyGray said:

Lol Minter was going to get out of it. Loss of control. He will be fine. Love the overreactions.

Loss of control can be said about any pitchers struggles.  Fact is he gave up a lead off double and after two impressive Ks, he couldn’t seal the deal. That’s not what you want in a closer. I’ll agree that he has an unhittable fastball if he can spot it but the dude just unraveled. And Winkler made sure to add some salt onto the wound by blowing up our ratios. 

Minter blew the save in glorious fashion and the line looks ugly, but I thought he looked pretty good.  Was consistently hitting 97 with his fastball and was just having trouble locating it.

• Like 1

I hope the Mets get back into the game tonight so that we potentially can see Jeffress in a save situation. I have a feeling tonight is the night. 

16 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Hate to say it guys but Neris in his last 6-7 appearances has been used as a typical closer. No commitee. Usually 3 is the magic number to come to such a conclusion but this has been going longer than that and even overlapped when Robertson was healthy

We could be looking at the ROS Philly closer in Neris

High Leverage Innings: Phillies RP

Nerris 5.2 IP  2BB 11Ks

Robertson  2.2 IP 3BB 1K

Dominguez  2.2 IP 0BB 4Ks

Looking like Kaplers most trusted RP. For, whatever it's worth

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Sun Tzu said:

Minter blew the save in glorious fashion and the line looks ugly, but I thought he looked pretty good.  Was consistently hitting 97 with his fastball and was just having trouble locating it.

I agree with him looking good during the 2ks. That fastball was beautiful. But with his recent struggles you gotta think this one is gonna be in his mind for a bit.  Definitely gotta think this type of outcome forces the front office to increase the talks with Kimbrel. 

26 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

Hate to say it guys but Neris in his last 6-7 appearances has been used as a typical closer. No commitee. Usually 3 is the magic number to come to such a conclusion but this has been going longer than that and even overlapped when Robertson was healthy

We could be looking at the ROS Philly closer in Neris

25 minutes ago, cyberer said:

Agree 100%. He's been pretty good too even counting that HR - loss the other day

Been saying this for a while now. Neris’ usage is that of a traditional closer lately and he’s been damn good dating back to about July of last year. He has a chance to be a top 5 closer ROS. 

• Like 2

Closer's are a joke in general. Why is Jeffress pitching in the 8th? Give him the 9th already and let the skeleton man pitch the 7th and 8th.

Jeffries will never be closer...choke artist

• Like 1

Hader coming in to wipe Jeffresses' arse. Jeffress not ready for prime time.

Very tempted to drop jeffress. He didn’t look all that great even in his scoreless innings and his velocity was low. And then the first high leverage situation today he sucked. Idk... getting over it.

In saves leagues, he’s probably a hold. But in holds/saves I think you could drop if you see something better. His stuff isn’t what it was last year. Will it come back? I guess that’s up to you if it’s worth waiting for and missing out on other things.

59 minutes ago, Dr. Whom said:

Jeffries will never be closer...choke artist

Was a closer last year...

• Like 2

1 hour ago, MoonyGray said:

Lol Minter was going to get out of it. Loss of control. He will be fine. Love the overreactions.

He’ll likely be fine.  But it’s going to expedite the Braves decision to upgrade pen and thus move him back to set up.  I doubt he’ll stick as full time closer on this team past mid June. 

Edited by Cmilne23

8 minutes ago, mannymachado said:

Pagan looks good? Castillo doesn’t look good. Anyone think Pagan is closing?

Nah. Alvarado was set to come in for the 9th but Castillo got into a jam in the 8th and Alvarado was brought in for mop up duty but threw too many pitches. Next question. 

• Like 2

3 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

They brought Castillo in in the 8th and he gave up a homer to Betts and started to get into trouble.  Alvarado was brought in to put out the fire with one out which he managed to do while running around barefoot some on the embers but managed to get out of the inning unscathed.  But he was a little shaky and threw a lot of pitches.  If he came in and got the last two outs in the 8th quickly I think he would have stayed for the 9th as well.  He didn't so Pagan was sent to warm up for the 9th instead.

My take is Alvarado isn't demoted after today from closer.  But he may have to time share some with Pagan for awhile if Cash gets cutesy. 

And Pagan's stats looked good but there were two different balls that Benny and Moreland just missed on and fouled off that given another millimeter or so on the bat/ball contact would have been well over the Green Monster.  So Pagan did good but not great as in he did not look untouchable or anything.  He looked half good and half lucky.

Summary:  Had Castillo done his job Alvarado would have been brought in in the 9th.  Castillo didn't and we had a domino effect.

Lol. There is always some story. I wonder what the story will be next time Pagan gets the save.

Edited by michaelai3
  • Haha 1