Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

11 hours ago, DFWSooner said:

Will the Braves just sign Kimbrel already!

That'd be awesome so I could just drop Minter, which I should probably do anyways..  He looks great for a few games, gets a couple of saves, but bookends it all with ratio killing performances.  I don't care how good he's looked when facing a handful of batters when you blow up my ratios twice in absolutely epic fashion.  Granted they all shouldn't have scored, but that's beside the point.

Edited by KilloWertz

11 hours ago, MoonyGray said:

Closer's are a joke in general. Why is Jeffress pitching in the 8th? Give him the 9th already and let the skeleton man pitch the 7th and 8th.

Right on brother! What the heck are the Brewers thinking? Don't they know that you picked up Jeffress in March and held onto him this whole time fully expecting him to close games? Him and Tyler Thornburg were a force back in 2016 and the dude racked up 15 saves last year!!!  This is a top-200 arm in all of baseball and Counsell doesn't have a clue how to utilize him, pathetic!

• Haha 6

38 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

Right on brother! What the heck are the Brewers thinking? Don't they know that you picked up Jeffress in March and held onto him this whole time fully expecting him to close games? Him and Tyler Thornburg were a force back in 2016 and the dude racked up 15 saves last year!!!  This is a top-200 arm in all of baseball and Counsell doesn't have a clue how to utilize him, pathetic!

Lol seriously. With his decrease in velocity, he looks closer to a drop than someone who deserves the 9th. He imploded yesterday. This is coming from  a Jeffress owner.

Here are Jeffress' velo readings this year by game.  I've been carrying him for a while now in a deep league where the wire is very thin.  Last year he was 95-97 with the FB.  This is no bueno.  Unless the velo comes back I don't think he'll be successful enough to warrant a shot at closing.  I'm going to hold for a bit longer, but if something pops up I might consider dropping him.  I debated dropping him for Pagan this morning but opted not to simply because I don't think TB can be relied on for consistent saves from anyone.  Velo is  tricky thing.  It goes, and then suddenly out of nowhere "poof", you watch a guy and see a 96 on the screen.  It was like this somewhat with Chris Sale this year. I'll hold a bit longer I think.

Last Year:

http://www.brooksbaseball.net/velo.php?player=502026&b_hand=-1&time=game&minmax=ci&var=mph&s_type=2&gFilt=&pFilt=FA|SI|FC|CU|SL|CS|KN|CH|FS|SB&startDate=01/01/2018&endDate=01/01/2019

This Year:

Game Fourseam Sinker Curve Split
SLN@MIL (4/17/19) 92.36 91.23 0.00 0.00
LAN@MIL (4/18/19) 91.84 92.30 81.44 89.55
MIL@SLN (4/22/19) 93.76 93.66 81.02 91.39
MIL@SLN (4/24/19) 91.61 90.68 78.53 88.01
MIL@NYN (4/27/19) 90.72 91.65 79.04 0.00
  • Like 2

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t his velo be down because 1. He’s coming off a recent injury, and 2. He didn’t get to build up arm strength as other pitchers do during spring training?  Wouldn’t he basically need 8-10 appearances under his belt for the velocity to come back? 

Edited by HaloFanatic17

6 minutes ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

Correct me if I’m wrong but wouldn’t his velo be down because 1. He’s coming off a recent injury, and 2. He didn’t get to build up arm strength as other pitchers do during spring training?  Wouldn’t he basically need 8-10 appearances under his belt for the velocity to come back? 

Nah, he’s finito, papito.

• Haha 2

Hader is too filthy for the Brewers to be messing around with Jeffress in the 9th it just doesn't make sense.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, sjs1890 said:

Hader is too filthy for the Brewers to be messing around with Jeffress in the 9th it just doesn't make sense.

Yeppers.

1 minute ago, sjs1890 said:

Not saying he doesn’t deserve and won’t get opportunities to close out games, but Hader’s filth is exactly why the Brewers would prefer to use him in whatever ends up being the highest leverage situation. I’m talking runners on base, best part of the lineup coming up, etc...  for the brewers if that’s in the 7th or 8th they’d rather use Hader there and let some lesser arm start a clean inning and get three outs to get the save. 

• Like 1

It’s mind boggling to me that two playoff determined teams in the Brewers and Braves aren’t going after Kimbrel. It’s apparent the brewers prefer Hader in the fireman role and it’s apparent their closer options(Jeffress and Minter) for both teams are not getting the job done. So why not pay the man already? I know people say he is asking too much as a closer but bullpens are so key to teams succeeded in the post season 

• Like 2

58 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Most ideal thing would be to use Hader for the 8th and 9th when they are ahead to close out games.

Right, until his arm falls off.  Cheap bastards need to pony up for a real closer if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs while saving Darth Hader in the process.

29 minutes ago, Hangry Bird said:

Right, until his arm falls off.  Cheap bastards need to pony up for a real closer if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs while saving Darth Hader in the process.

Kimbrel owner?

• Like 2

I feel like there's a ton of Hader owners in here not looking at this objectively. Why limit Hader to the 9th when they can use him in any situation suffocate a lineup? I'm not saying Jeffress will get ALL the save opportunities, but their bullpen is best run when they can maximize the versatility of Hader. Last year for example. Jeffress got the call more often than not, but they finished with around the same amount of saves because it was Knebel and Hader closing before Knebel was hurt. Hader will be in the mix for saves even if Jeffress is "the guy".

Edited by street sharks
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

Pagan is up in the Tampa pen in the 6th inning

Yikes 

Not sure who came in to finish the 7th but Alvarado is in for the 8th... I had the same theory that was stated yesterday about him not coming in to close but this looks like an ugly committee. 

Edited by Ry34No

5 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Not sure who came in to finish the 7th but Alvarado is in for the 8th... I had the same theory that was stated yesterday about him not coming in to close but this looks like an ugly committee. 

LOVE having Alvarado in a saves + holds league!!!! Or any of them for that matter will be good. Not ugly at all.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MoonyGray said:

LOVE having Alvarado in a saves + holds league!!!! Or any of them for that matter will be good. Not ugly at all.

Yea I agree, I love it too being in formats like that. I own Pagan/Castillo and it’s been great so far. But for the general public of these forums that use saves only its ugly to have a closer carousel. 

16 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

12 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

Yea I agree, I love it too being in formats like that. I own Pagan/Castillo and it’s been great so far. But for the general public of these forums that use saves only its ugly to have a closer carousel. 

Yea Alvarado is a monster in saves/holds leagues lol I want him on my team.

25 minutes ago, Ry34No said:

The way things are going, all leagues are going to have to be that way.  Well, that and QS rather than Wins as well.  It's almost making me start to feel old...

But yeah, in the right format, all three of their backend relievers would be fantastic to own.

4 minutes ago, TheBigBambino said:

Buttrey in for 8th inning....

Only gave up 1, so it doesn't make it too interesting for Robles...