Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

3 minutes ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just took a look at Luke Jackson's career numbers...

tenor.gif?itemid=6159589

Career numbers don’t mean s--- if this is a career year lol happens all of the time with relievers.

• Like 1

Jacob Webb could be the guy.  210 K in 170 minor league innings.  

since Webb pitched before Minter, wouldn't Webb be the more logical choice to replace Minter?

Anyone have insight on John Gant getting a save today for St. Louis? What was the situation that made Hicks pitch an inning or so before to one batter?

2 minutes ago, dchamps said:

Anyone have insight on John Gant getting a save today for St. Louis? What was the situation that made Hicks pitch an inning or so before to one batter?

I'd like to know this as well!

The Cards scored 3 runs to make it 5-0.  So, they deicided to not let him pitch the 9th. Almost cost them.

2 minutes ago, DavidbivaD said:

I'd like to know this as well!

STL was up 2-0 when they brought in Hicks to face Suarez for the last out in the 8th. Then the Cards scored 3 more runs top 9th. Hicks was just used last night so my guess is Shildt thought he could get away with resting Hicks who theoretically would have gotten the save if the other guys in the pen could hold that lead.

• Like 1

Luke Jackson is probably the next guy up due to everyone else being terrible.  All he throws is sliders

23 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Luke Jackson is probably the next guy up due to everyone else being terrible.  All he throws is sliders

So he is romos cousin

On 3/30/2019 at 1:23 AM, Rh3l22 said:

Is Swarzak toast in Seattle? Been getting roughed up lately and brought in to pitch the 8th today down big...

Well, He’s on waivers in both my leagues. So we seem to think he’s toast. 

32 minutes ago, fatbob166 said:

Is Swarzak toast in Seattle? Been getting roughed up lately and brought in to pitch the 8th today down big...

He probably is, but if you're speculating it's worth noting that he hadn't pitched much in the past week.  This outing doesn't change my outlook much one way or the other.  

6 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

Loving Brebbia in saves + holds leagues. Quietly doing his thing. 

Wasn’t even on my radar since I’ve been shuffling relievers and play in saves/holds leagues as well. What inning does he typically come in?

2 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Wasn’t even on my radar since I’ve been shuffling relievers and play in saves/holds leagues as well. What inning does he typically come in?

He usually comes in for the 6th. They have been going Brebbia, Gant, Miller most often. Sometimes the 7th. But he has some great ratios and he has 6 holds. I’m going to add him in another league ahead of Buttrey and Rogers. 

• Thanks 1

18 minutes ago, MoonyGray said:

He usually comes in for the 6th. They have been going Brebbia, Gant, Miller most often. Sometimes the 7th. But he has some great ratios and he has 6 holds. I’m going to add him in another league ahead of Buttrey and Rogers. 

This is the Closer Thread. There’s another thread to talk middle relievers 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, fatbob166 said:

No.  This pitching staff got bent over super hard all weekend so it was all hands on deck to soak up the sodomization.  He’ll be out for next save situation.  Whether or not he converts it is another question.  

1 hour ago, TheBigBambino said:

Buttrey vs Robles, debate continues

One pitched the eighth and the other pitched the ninth today. Pretty telling imo. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, TheBigBambino said:

Buttrey vs Robles, debate continues

Buttrey getting used all over the place goes against him being used a dedicated closer. Seems pretty clear to me as long Robles performs. Both guys sucked today. So ya know.

9 hours ago, Hangry Bird said:

Right, until his arm falls off.  Cheap bastards need to pony up for a real closer if they want to make a serious run in the playoffs while saving Darth Hader in the process.

hear yaself...

6 hours ago, My Dinner With Andre said:

Just took a look at Luke Jackson's career numbers...

tenor.gif?itemid=6159589

Yeah. He's never gotten control down, but he's been pitching backwards this year and going Slider heavy. His arm will turn into banana purree quick, but in the short term? Seems to be working

I thought the M's already moved on from Swarzak and Roenis Elias was now their primary closer.

• Like 1