Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

2 hours ago, The_Real_Deal said:

Anyone thinks Shane Green gets dealt at the trade deadline?

Yes. All of us, last year. So who knows how it'll go down this season.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

I am in 4 leagues and cannot believe Romo is just sitting there as a FA. Are folks really that worried about the 1 IP 4 ER line?

He looks decent to me. Bottom barrel but he has a job at least

1 hour ago, BaseballMuggle said:

I am in 4 leagues and cannot believe Romo is just sitting there as a FA. Are folks really that worried about the 1 IP 4 ER line?

That’s kind of how it was when he was on the Rays last year and he ended up doing a pretty good job.

• Like 1

15 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Luke Jackson is probably the next guy up due to everyone else being terrible.  All he throws is sliders

Jacob Webb has been good in his brief time.

Webb also has closing experience in the minors.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188279

• Like 2

2 hours ago, BaseballMuggle said:

I pick a guy up even if I know he will be good for only a handful of saves.  Then I pick up a similar guy.  By the end of the season I figure picking all those guys up is going to be equivalent to one good closer.

11 hours ago, Slatykamora said:

Yeah. He's never gotten control down, but he's been pitching backwards this year and going Slider heavy. His arm will turn into banana purree quick, but in the short term? Seems to be working

He's also throwing harder than last year. And the slider usage is pumping up his swstr rate and so far his batted ball profile is gb heavy. Who knows, might be good for a handful of saves before the wheels fell off (if they fall off).

Worth a speculation in a deep league.

Swarzack was just dropped in a league I'm in.  Someone owns Elias. Swar has been on waivers since this morning with no takers (first come first serve open style waivers in my league).  Is he worth picking up?  I think it's a committee there, and the only thing worse than a committee at closer, is when the half you own might blow up your ratios for that 1 save every 10 days. 

2 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Swarzack was just dropped in a league I'm in.  Someone owns Elias. Swar has been on waivers since this morning with no takers (first come first serve open style waivers in my league).  Is he worth picking up?  I think it's a committee there, and the only thing worse than a committee at closer, is when the half you own might blow up your ratios for that 1 save every 10 days. 

I think you answered your own question 😉

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, dicka24 said:

Same in my league, but i put no claim in for him

Biased Elias owner here.

• Like 1

What do you guys think of the situation in ATL? TB? LAA?

Will Jackson be the guy in Minter isnt closing?

TB looks like a committee with Pagan, Castillo and Alvarado 

LAA may give Allen a look later but is robles the guy to own since Buttrey seems to be in the fireman role?

Just now, Under500Forever said:

What do you guys think of the situation in ATL? TB? LAA?

Will Jackson be the guy in Minter isnt closing?

TB looks like a committee with Pagan, Castillo and Alvarado 

LAA may give Allen a look later but is robles the guy to own since Buttrey seems to be in the fireman role?

Jackson

Committee

Robles

RoS

• Like 1

I think its too soon to anoint Jackson. Time will tell. Lets not forget Luke Jackson's stuff historically is very mediocre... 4.43 ERA in 2018 and 4.62 in 2017.

9 minutes ago, tekashi26ix said:

I think its too soon to anoint Jackson. Time will tell. Lets not forget Luke Jackson's stuff historically is very mediocre... 4.43 ERA in 2018 and 4.62 in 2017.

You really can't put too much stock in RP numbers without a big sample size. Guys can turn it around quickly. Jackson really doesn't look that bad. 

• Like 1

I feel surprised that people are mentioning Luke Jackson. what has done to get a shot to close? because he got the save after Minter failed yesterday?

Jackson has been in the majors for multiple seasons, and this season so far is his only decent season.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=156376

Nobody is saying bet the house on luke jackson. But it is a mistake to write him off just because he stunk before. 

RPs are notoriously inconsistent. Was Ryan Pressly on a ton of ppl's radars entering last year? I am NOT saying jackson is anything close to Pressly. The point is that you never know.

If you need svs why not speculate.

• Thanks 1

13 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Nobody is saying bet the house on luke jackson. But it is a mistake to write him off just because he stunk before. 

RPs are notoriously inconsistent. Was Ryan Pressly on a ton of ppl's radars entering last year? I am NOT saying jackson is anything close to Pressly. The point is that you never know.

If you need svs why not speculate.

I don't want to believe that "the next" Kimbrel was a fraud all along. I am benching minter this week for elias what a joke.

I own him but I honestly think Minter's leash has run out. I guess the next save opp -could- go to him if the situation really calls for a lefty. Otherwise I think it'll be Jackson. Hopefully one of them will get the save tonight, or at the very least Minter will blow it so I can drop him with confidence.

• Like 1

As it relates to Atlanta:  Minter, Jackson, and Winkler have each pitched two straight, so they may not be available tonight.  Sometimes it's all about opportunity and running with it.  It will be interesting to see who they give the ball to if there's a save opp tonight.  Looks like it would be either Webb or Blevins.

• Like 2

2 hours ago, Fiveohnine said:

I own him but I honestly think Minter's leash has run out. I guess the next save opp -could- go to him if the situation really calls for a lefty. Otherwise I think it'll be Jackson. Hopefully one of them will get the save tonight, or at the very least Minter will blow it so I can drop him with confidence.

Won’t happen. Minter has thrown a lot of pitches in the last two days. No matter the situation tonight he won’t come in. So we won’t have a clear understanding of what’s gonna happen till later this week. 

2 hours ago, pduce242424 said:

As it relates to Atlanta:  Minter, Jackson, and Winkler have each pitched two straight, so they may not be available tonight.  Sometimes it's all about opportunity and running with it.  It will be interesting to see who they give the ball to if there's a save opp tonight.  Looks like it would be either Webb or Blevins.

I would bet it’s Webb. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, HaloFanatic17 said:

I would bet it’s Webb. 

I think a lot of guys would have to blow their chance before the job went to Webb. Webb has 3 career IP over 5 MLB appearances and only one late inning appearance where the Braves weren't trailing (it was tied and he got the W).

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 1