Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

1 minute ago, Minnesota_Jack said:

Blevins. Just as I thought. 

Said no one. 

And then he gets pulled so no saves for anyone.

1 minute ago, SuperJoint said:

And then he gets pulled so no saves for anyone.

Tying run was on deck when Webb came in.

• Like 1

Blake Parker. KING OF KINGS

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

7 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

I feel surprised that people are mentioning Luke Jackson. what has done to get a shot to close?

Jackson has been in the majors for multiple seasons, and this season so far is his only decent season.

Luke Jackson can beat you with nothing, just like today when he kept coming back ... with nothing.

Cool hand Luke

13 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

Jacob Webb has been good in his brief time.

Webb also has closing experience in the minors.

http://www.thebaseballcube.com/players/profile.asp?ID=188279

FB sat 96+ with a wild amount of vertical movement, curious to it's spin rate because I bet it's awfully high...

SL almost acts more like a hybrid curve, 81 MPH with some good horizontal action to it.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Ragnaroker said:

Brasier in in the 7th, up 7-4.

Two out and men on second and third and Khris Davis on his way to the plate.  Definitely played the fireman tonight.  Tomorrow he may close.  Tonight he got both a Hold AND assigned the Win.

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 3

Just now, kelle1sa said:

He didn't.

Brasier did (hold and win) on Yahoo which has happened quite a few times over the years with them.  In situations where a pitcher is given a win by the scorekeeper yahoo never deducts the earlier hold.   You can compare Brasier's numbers with other platforms and will note the extra hold on yahoo.  Yahoo is just being lazy again... 

• Like 1

The save rule is that you can't get both the save and the win. But holds aren't an official MLB stat. So it just depends on who's scoring it.

Personally, I think that part of the save rule is kinda dumb anyway. If a guy starts a game and is in line for the win, then switches to play a position, and then comes back onto the mound to save his own win, he should get credit for both. Same for the rare situation when the scorer feels like the pitcher with the save is the only one who deserves the win.

Edited by Fiveohnine
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Brasier did (hold and win) on Yahoo which has happened quite a few times over the years with them.  In situations where a pitcher is given a win by the scorekeeper yahoo never deducts the earlier hold.   You can compare Brasier's numbers with other platforms and will note the extra hold on yahoo.  Yahoo is just being lazy again... 

2 minutes ago, Fiveohnine said:

The save rule is that you can't get both the save and the win. But holds aren't an official MLB stat. So it just depends on who's scoring it.

This is interesting.  CBS did not credit him with the Hold and neither did the MLB.  Surprising that it is not an official MLB stat but its credited and accounted for on the MLB.com scoring platform.

10 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

Wow.  On CBS he just got a win

Does anyone know if Yahoo will correct the W/Hld thing or will Brasier get both ? 

7 minutes ago, kelle1sa said:

This is interesting.  CBS did not credit him with the Hold and neither did the MLB.  Surprising that it is not an official MLB stat but its credited and accounted for on the MLB.com scoring platform.

4 minutes ago, fletch44 said:

Does anyone know if Yahoo will correct the W/Hld thing or will Brasier get both ? 

They have not corrected it in the past.  I recall winning a week over my poor schmuck opponent because Betances was credited with both a few years back.   It happened at least once last year too although I cannot recall with who.   It was discussed both times on this board somewhere as well...

Edited by knuckleheads
  • Like 2

8 minutes ago, knuckleheads said:

They have not corrected it in the past.  I recall winning a week over my poor schmuck opponent because Betances was credited with both a few years back.   It happened at least once last year too although I cannot recall with who.   It was discussed both times on this board somewhere as well...

Yes it's come up before and I think Yahoo! is the only platform that allows the W and hold for one guy.

The one situation I don't think has ever come up is a guy getting multiple holds in a game, or holding the game and then saving it, and how that would theoretically be scored.

4 minutes ago, dumherb1 said:

How did he get a W however? I see other pitchers before him... 

If the starter doesn't go 5 the game scorer chooses who gets the W. He gave it to Braiser. But Brasier also converted a hld.

http://m.mlb.com/glossary/standard-stats/win

First, a starting pitcher must pitch at least five innings (in a traditional game of nine innings or longer) to qualify for the win. If he does not, the official scorer awards the win to the most effective relief pitcher.

Edited by fletch44

2 minutes ago, dumherb1 said:

How did he get a W however? I see other pitchers before him... 

In a nutshell, if the starter doesn't get the W, then it's up to the scorer. The win rule is more complicated than just that, of course.

10 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Lol just some dirty s--- with the win and hold stuff.

Right?! People would lose their $hit (rightfully so) if that happened in a h2h match during finals.