Backdoor Slider

2019 March/April Closer Thread

Personally, I use ESPN and without holds. But I think the Yahoo! method makes more sense. To me there's no reason why a guy who deserves to get the win should arbitrarily have a hold (or save, for that matter) wiped away.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Personally, I use ESPN and without holds. But I think the Yahoo! method makes more sense. To me there's no reason why a guy who deserves to get the win should arbitrarily have a hold (or save, for that matter) wiped away.

By that rationale, a pitcher who pitches a complete game should get the save too when the game is close enough.  At least with saves and wins, these are clearly defined to be mutually exclusive.

1 hour ago, Fiveohnine said:

Yes it's come up before and I think Yahoo! is the only platform that allows the W and hold for one guy.

The one situation I don't think has ever come up is a guy getting multiple holds in a game, or holding the game and then saving it, and how that would theoretically be scored.

fantrax also giving him credit for the win and hold

• Like 1

1 hour ago, AHF said:

By that rationale, a pitcher who pitches a complete game should get the save too when the game is close enough.  At least with saves and wins, these are clearly defined to be mutually exclusive.

They're clearly defined either way. But that's an even dumber point considering the home pitcher always enters a tie game and the away pitcher always pitches more than 3 innings for a complete game.

21 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

FB sat 96+ with a wild amount of vertical movement, curious to it's spin rate because I bet it's awfully high...

SL almost acts more like a hybrid curve, 81 MPH with some good horizontal action to it.

It's going to be interesting to see if Webb gets a chance. He might not, but he did save 18 games last year in the minors. He does walk a lot of batters. 

3 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

It's going to be interesting to see if Webb gets a chance. He might not, but he did save 18 games last year in the minors. He does walk a lot of batters. 

Yeah he's awfully green to the bigs, but he has some stuff...ya never know, it's not like these other guys are such great shakes, give me the dark horse!

12 hours ago, kidtwentytwo said:

Jackson is still likely next in line.  He’s a different pitcher from when he was an SP...

https://twitter.com/mlbbowman/status/1122889871234932741?s=21

When he was an SP? He hasn't been a SP since 2014. He has zero starts in the Majors (106 appearances), and since 2014, he's started 5 games in AAA in 2015 and 1 game in AAA last year. In 123.1 MLB innings (all in relief), he has a 4.89 ERA and 1.54 WHIP, allowing almost 10 hits per 9 and walking over 4 per 9. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

When he was an SP? He hasn't been a SP since 2014. He has zero starts in the Majors (106 appearances), and since 2014, he's started 5 games in AAA in 2015 and 1 game in AAA last year. In 123.1 MLB innings (all in relief), he has a 4.89 ERA and 1.54 WHIP, allowing almost 10 hits per 9 and walking over 4 per 9. 

youre right.  I thought he was a converted SP.   stand corrected 

2 minutes ago, kidtwentytwo said:

youre right.  I thought he was a converted SP.   stand corrected 

As a Braves fan, I'm so depressed about our pen, lol. Can't lie...I hope they give Webb a shot. I own zero shares of the Atlanta bullpen, but he can't be any worse than the dregs we've been running out there lol. 

10 minutes ago, Flyman75 said:

As a Braves fan, I'm so depressed about our pen, lol. Can't lie...I hope they give Webb a shot. I own zero shares of the Atlanta bullpen, but he can't be any worse than the dregs we've been running out there lol. 

Its depressing.  If Minter loses his role, it could be anyone.  At some point they’ll get Venters and/or O’Day back, which should help.  Maybe move one of the young guys to the pen temporarily.  I think if they were going to sign kimbrel they would have done it by now 

Greene with save #12. Gave up one hit with three strikeouts. Sporting a 1.29 era, just as we all expected.

Iglesias now with 4 Ls in 14.2 IP. 

Thats gotta be some sort of record. 

• Haha 1

45 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Greene with save #12. Gave up one hit with three strikeouts. Sporting a 1.29 era, just as we all expected.

This hurts my heart. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

26 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

Setting up for leclerc save opp..sadly kelly pitched the 7th and Martin in the 8th

Or they will go up by more than 3 now. 

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

Or they will go up by more than 3 now. 

I hope not. I wanna see le clerk

1 minute ago, pbjfb said:

I hope not. I wanna see le clerk

Me too albeit nervous. 

I mean ill I’ll take the insurance run to make it 3-0. 

Edit yes got the insurance. 

Edited by Members_Only_76
  • Like 1

29 minutes ago, Braves16 said:

Iglesias now with 4 Ls in 14.2 IP. 

Thats gotta be some sort of record. 

He shouldn’t have pitched tonight after throwing 2 innings last night. He’s been dominating lately until tonight.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, DFWSooner said:

He shouldn’t have pitched tonight after throwing 2 innings last night. He’s been dominating lately until tonight.

These 2 inning outings are killing all the relievers

Leclerc is in his head. He needs a reset. Demote him. Make him earn it back.