Rotoworld.com Forums

LeSean McCoy 2019 Outlook

• Replies 1.9k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

High stakes leagues have the same losers, just with more money.

Duke Johnson owners right now..  

Posted Images

15 minutes ago, Rainyy said:

My theory is this was just a matter of Reid experimenting with his backs.  

The past two weeks, Reid got to see what McCoy did as the lead back, and he also made sure to evaluate Darrell at the end of games.  Kansan City is a pass-first offense, and I have to imagine that Reid values receiving and blocking from a RB moreso than rushing. 

My guess is, despite McCoy rushing pretty well, KC did not like what they saw from McCoy in the passing game.  Personally, I feel McCoy has been dreadful in both running routes and creating yards after the catch (for the most part).  He's had way too many 1-3 yard passes where he simply can't beat his man 1-on-1.  Mahomes has looked frustrated on a few of those plays.  Add to this that McCoy is the weakest of KC's 3 RBs at blocking.  

So, in a way, I think McCoy kind of squandered his turn at lead back.  Somewhat understandably, I think Reid was trying to see how things would shake with Damien as lead back - because, again, KC's #1 back, in an ideal world, would be strong at receiving/blocking.  Damien performed poorly.    

My guess is that Damien gets one more opportunity to separate himself from the rest of the pack before this goes back to a committee, which I have a feeling, will be slightly in McCoy's favor.  I would not start McCoy next week.  I think it's still Damien's turn to tryout for lead back duties.  

Frankly, McCoy needs to step up his receiving game. 

Yet McCoy is averaging more yards per target than Damien. 

Damien 6.8 YPT

McCoy 7.2 YPT

Hmmm

Listen to 8:40 to 9:10. Reid is asked about McCoys lack of playing time; he says it was NOT related to the fumble and it had to do with pass blocking/protection & that they are working on getting it straightened out. This proves that McCoy is still learning the offense and there is snap share upside for him in the backfield. Patience will be required and it might take a couple more weeks but Shady will have 60% of snaps by Week 10. Book it.

• Haha 1
1 minute ago, bigbluecrew56 said:

This makes sense in a week where the LT and LG are injured and the colts D-line was getting into the backfield with ease against the Chiefs OL. Might have also of made sense to run the ball down their throats or use misdirection/screens but Reid obviously took the former route and got his best pass blocking RBs on the field. 

19 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Damien 6.8 YPT

McCoy 7.2 YPT

Hmmm

So 1 1/2 feet lol. Actually less than that. I suppose it is a game of inches but geez lol. 

Edited by Bugs bunny
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

I don't recall McCoy being in on a play when Mahomes got sacked.  It looked like he was running to the flat literally every play.  I suppose what could have happened is that he ran to the flat when he was supposed to stay in and block.  Otherwise, I didn't see a big mistake.

• Like 1
10 minutes ago, Bugs bunny said:

So 1 1/2 feet lol. Actually less than that. I suppose it is a game of inches but geez lol. 

That might sound like a small amount but for RBs thats the difference between being 15th in YPT (McCoy) and 25th in YPT (Damien). RBs have much less variance in YPT than WR's due to the nature of the targets (close to the line of scrimmage, low air yards completions). The top 7 RBs in YPT have less than 10 targets each btw. 

And dont forget, on the ground the difference is much more pronounced 1.8 YPC (Damien, 54th)  to 5.4 YPC (Mccoy, 7th)

(used stats on RBs that have played at least 25% of snaps)

26 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

Damien 6.8 YPT

McCoy 7.2 YPT

Hmmm

You'll have to explain how YPT helps your case, at all. What does their average depth of target, in a stupidly low sample size, have to do with receiving abilities 

• Thanks 1
4 minutes ago, Brownsfan74 said:

I don't recall McCoy being in on a play when Mahomes got sacked.  It looked like he was running to the flat literally every play.  I suppose what could have happened is that he ran to the flat when he was supposed to stay in and block.  Otherwise, I didn't see a big mistake.

TBH I think it was more so an excuse to let Damien get the most play and flop. Who knows the locker room dynamics and who the players believe the starter should be. Once it becomes clear as day the players support McCoy over Damien he will get the snap share he deserves. 

• Haha 2
1 minute ago, smetana34 said:

You'll have to explain how YPT helps your case, at all. What does their average depth of target, in a stupidly low sample size, have to do with receiving abilities 

This is yards gained per target, NOT ADOT. It is an efficiency measure much like YPC. Tells you part of the story but not all (no one statistic can fully explain another statistic) Sorry try again.

18 minutes ago, TomBradyDaGOAT said:

This is yards gained per target, NOT ADOT. It is an efficiency measure much like YPC. Tells you part of the story but not all (no one statistic can fully explain another statistic) Sorry try again.

I guess if that's how you want to measure receiving abilities, for their careers:

McCoy - 5.9

Williams - 6.5

3 minutes ago, smetana34 said:

Williams - 8.3

McCoy- 7.9

Want to move the goalpost again?

Yard per Carry is what I said, not yard per catch. And you are the one moving goal posts... This thread is about Mccoy in year 2019 not the career of Lesean Mccoy. Right now is what matters not the past.

People are really grasping at straws here with the "still learning the offense" nonsense. Reid likes McCoy so he doesn't wanna say the Williams are simply better. His ceiling is what we saw the previous two weeks, and that's with Damien out. His floor is essentially zero. 

• Thanks 1

Even though he's looked good out there for the most part, that's 2 out of 5 games where LeSean has put up a near-goose egg, and now Damien is back. If you have, say, four other RBs on your roster who are ranked in the top 30 options and have shown themselves to have higher floors, I don't think it's crazy to let him go if you have other needs. Guys like Carlos Hyde and Ronald Jones might be safer RB2/flex starts if you have them on your bench, even if their ceiling is a bit lower. I mean, he only had two touches. Yeesh.

Edited by 99-percent-sure
  • Like 1