PackersFan1979

LeSean McCoy 2019 Outlook

Recommended Posts

5 hours ago, MKO3090 said:

I saw enough from Shady in their last game to be fairly confident he'll the lead back and Darrell will handle 3rd downs. Anything can happen, but that was the plan after Damien went down. There is no reason to change it. Plus Shady looked like the most explosive of the 3 and has a long relationship with Reid. 

People have been saying all year that Shady "looks the best" but he's never really come close to taking the job. He's had 12 weeks and he's been scratched more than he's been the bellcow. It is what it is. McCoy will get about half the work. And that's assuming he doesn't fumble or get hurt. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BGDDYKWL said:

People have been saying all year that Shady "looks the best" but he's never really come close to taking the job. He's had 12 weeks and he's been scratched more than he's been the bellcow. It is what it is. McCoy will get about half the work. And that's assuming he doesn't fumble or get hurt. 

It's because Shady actually has looked the best of the three, fumbles aside.  He's broken tackles and done well with the usage he's got, and regularly gets chunk gains.  Damien had 2 big runs/catches and otherwise is mostly useless, while Darrel is a plodder who's good at the GL.  Shady not taking the job has less to do with how he's looked and more to do with injuries, ball security, and Reid's questionable rotation/usage of his RBs all season long.

Edited by TheINC

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

KoolAid really hasn't had his perfect offense at all this year ... we had the 'Reek injury, Fisher out for awhile, 'Homie twisting the ankle then popping the knee - they've been horribly outta synch and discombobulated pretty much all season due to these hiccups.  the injuries to the RBs notwithstanding, this is a far cry from the well oiled 2018 juggernaut ... so those scratching their heads as to how the RBs can be so "meh" given the passing game threat, well, there ya go ... put it in the context of 2019, and we gots a whole different paint job, no?

 

let's look at today, though ...

high winds, and a potentially limited 'Reek, all lead to increased RB usage - someone is gonna benefit greatly today via screens, dumpoffs, and a tad more reliance on the ground attack than KoolAid usually abides. 

will there be enough work for both to capitalize?  yeah, i think so ... but i believe it'll shake out as one finishing as an rb1 while the other chips in solid rb2/flex #s. 

if i had to bet on it, i'd slightly lean Shady as the favorite - SLIGHTLY lean - for all we know there could be some facacta pregame hijinks where Darwin is scratched and Elijah is activated, and proceeds to run wif the gig :wacko:

 

 

 

 

 

tl;dr - if i had to rely on Shady today i'd be cool 😎

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
55 minutes ago, TheINC said:

It's because Shady actually has looked the best of the three, fumbles aside.  He's broken tackles and done well with the usage he's got, and regularly gets chunk gains.  Damien had 2 big runs/catches and otherwise is mostly useless, while Darrel is a plodder who's good at the GL.  Shady not taking the job has less to do with how he's looked and more to do with injuries, ball security, and Reid's questionable rotation/usage of his RBs all season long.

Darrel is definitely a plodder, and Damien's YPC is awful, but teams don't generally not feature who they think their best RB is. Whether it's pass pro, health, fumbling, the bottom line is if there's one thing KC has made crystal clear it's that they do not want McCoy being a 20-25 touch RB. Based on that and his and Darrel's likely role/usage, personally I'd prefer Darrel. That said I do expect McCoy to be productive. There's just more risk because if he fumbles he won't see the field, he's more likely to tweak something in-game, and unlike Darrel he could get gamescripted out. 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 minutes ago, Mr Rourke said:

Who's typically gotten passing down and GL? That's who you want. 

I’ve seen shady get the gl touches and when he doesn’t punch it in, Darrel subs in and he will put it through so idk 🤷🏽‍♂️

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
9 minutes ago, Mr Rourke said:

Who's typically gotten passing down and GL? That's who you want. 


Darrel has typically had edge on passing work, GL has been split, although McCoy was hobbled with an ankle in the games Damien was out earlier in the year.  
 

McCoy was the workhorse early in the game, with Darrel getting most of the 4th quarter work.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 minutes ago, SkinsChargersFan said:


Darrel has typically had edge on passing work, GL has been split, although McCoy was hobbled with an ankle in the games Damien was out earlier in the year.  
 

McCoy was the workhorse early in the game, with Darrel getting most of the 4th quarter work.

Who do we think will have the better game today? 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
38 minutes ago, Mr Rourke said:

Who's typically gotten passing down and GL? That's who you want. 


Darrel has out-touched Shady once this season - Week 11 when McCoy was removed to be checked for concussion and didn't return.

McCoy has gotten 28 targets to Darrel's 18.
McCoy has gotten 22 RZ touches to Darrel's 8.
McCoy has averaged about a 40% snap share when all 3 are active - however when just McCoy and Darrel are active, those splits are much closer to 50/50.

Also, McCoy has had 25 fumbles in his entire career (regular season). Across essentially the same number of games, AP has 42. Marshall Faulk had 36.

No his fumbling isn't great, but considering Andy Reid knows Shady probably better than any other coach, I seriously doubt that he feels he has serious "ball control issues." Not to say he didn't sit him down and tell him to hold on to the damn ball, but I sincerely doubt he's going to be phased out of their offense because he lost a fumble or two. 

Numbers.

  • Like 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Any insight in pregame reports? Who took first handoff in warmups?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, CooL said:

Any insight in pregame reports? Who took first handoff in warmups?


Late Afternoon game, not gonna know until later unfortunately. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Just now, DekuTree said:


Late Afternoon game, not gonna know until later unfortunately. 

Ah yes silly me. Both McCoy and Darrel would be risky starts in win or hp home situations.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Missed most of the game due to travel. Can someone who watched give me the breakdown?


I know it seems Darwin was the garbage time guy, but I heard Darrel got hurt?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Missed most of the game due to travel. Can someone who watched give me the breakdown?


I know it seems Darwin was the garbage time guy, but I heard Darrel got hurt?

Yep Darrel hamstring injury looked bad.  KC was up huge so Darwin got all the work.  Should be interesting to see how it plays out.  My feeling is they didn't want to risk shady up 30 and were not gonna pass.   So no risk to Mahomes riding the rookie in the 4th quarter.  In a close game I'm sure we would of seen Shady.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, SkinsChargersFan said:

Missed most of the game due to travel. Can someone who watched give me the breakdown?


I know it seems Darwin was the garbage time guy, but I heard Darrel got hurt?

I would not say Darwin was the garbage time guy...all the other starters were in there on offense. Most likely the chiefs wanted to see what they had in Darwin bc Darrell went down with a non contact injury and Darwin looked amazing. Mccoy is probably a flex play at best and Darwin might get the majority of the touches ROS. Darwin looked like what the chiefs run game has been missing. He looked explosive and had a ton of burst.

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Raiders defense isn't exactly the Steel Curtain... D-Train was out there because game was over and they're already down Darrel, Damien. They can't afford for Shady to get hurt... 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Before Williams got hurt, it was pretty clear that Darrell was getting 60-70% of the shares and McCoy was getting the rest. You pretty much have to count on mccoy getting a goal line td for him to have any value at this point. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Reid said after the game that he thought the 31-year-old McCoy was fine, but he doesn’t want to give him too much playing time because at his age, McCoy can’t handle too big a workload.

 

“He did a nice job. He had productive runs today,” Reid said. “We’re not fooling anybody here, he’s not getting any younger, so it’s my responsibility to manage him as best I can, and I think I know him as well as anybody. So I’m going to do what I think is right on that. If it’s wrong then it’s my fault, so I’ll take that on my shoulders. I know he wants to play every play, and he loves to play.”

McCoy remains the Chiefs’ leading rusher this season, but Reid isn’t going to give any running back a big workload.

 

 

So right from Reids mouth, limited plays.🤨

Edited by dashoe

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, dashoe said:

Reid said after the game that he thought the 31-year-old McCoy was fine, but he doesn’t want to give him too much playing time because at his age, McCoy can’t handle too big a workload.

 

“He did a nice job. He had productive runs today,” Reid said. “We’re not fooling anybody here, he’s not getting any younger, so it’s my responsibility to manage him as best I can, and I think I know him as well as anybody. So I’m going to do what I think is right on that. If it’s wrong then it’s my fault, so I’ll take that on my shoulders. I know he wants to play every play, and he loves to play.”

McCoy remains the Chiefs’ leading rusher this season, but Reid isn’t going to give any running back a big workload.

 

 

So right from Reids mouth, limited plays.🤨

Reid may know Shady well but no one knows Shady as well as Shady knows Shady. 

So if he wants to play more why not? Unless he sucks...

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.