Sign in to follow this  
hangin n wangin

Tyler Skaggs 2019 Outlook

Pre draft ranking at 239 on yahoo. Had an ERA in the high 2’s last year before he tried to pitch through injuries and it rose up to 4.02. I can see him pitching 160-170 innings this year and putting up a mid 3 ERA with about 170Ks. Health will always be a factor but he’s going so low that I think he’s worth reaching for a little. I would pass on Heaney and go Skaggs instead, as there is more upside with Skaggs in my honest opinion. As an Angel fan, I watched them both pretty close last year. Thoughts??

• Like 1

At his ADP, I’ve drafted Skaggs in nearly every league this year.     He was stellar last season until, as noted in the OP, he tried pitching through injury.    

5 hours ago, hangin n wangin said:

Pre draft ranking at 239 on yahoo. Had an ERA in the high 2’s last year before he tried to pitch through injuries and it rose up to 4.02. I can see him pitching 160-170 innings this year and putting up a mid 3 ERA with about 170Ks. Health will always be a factor but he’s going so low that I think he’s worth reaching for a little. I would pass on Heaney and go Skaggs instead, as there is more upside with Skaggs in my honest opinion. As an Angel fan, I watched them both pretty close last year. Thoughts??

Mostly agree. Interesting that his ADP started around 250 which was criminally low. Then crept up to 180 once people caught on to the injury reason for the performance drop. Still too low. Now back up to 230-250 though that was because of the current forearm scare.

He had a breakthrough last year with almost all aspect of pitching, but especially with confidence in throwing his breaking pitches and location.

Narrative-wise, no current Angel hated—and I mean hated — Scioscia more than Skaggs. Ausmus will not baby him. He’ll get his innings if heathy 

If healthy...

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SoundMaster said:

At his ADP, I’ve drafted Skaggs in nearly every league this year.     He was stellar last season until, as noted in the OP, he tried pitching through injury.    

Got him at pick 183 and no regrats!

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

Got him at pick 183 and no regrats!

That’s perfectly fine. Half those mid round buzzy guys’ upside Skaggs already proved he can do, 

• Like 1

Definitely some concerning numbers coming out of spring for Skaggs. Have to hope it's a matter of his mechanics coming together.

He had an even worse ERA last spring, so I'm not really worried about the numbers. He also admitted that he was working on a new pitch this spring(wouldn't specify what) which is what ended up causing his forearm tightness, so he scaled back on it.

• Like 2

Any update on when he’s going to be activated?

edit:

Edited by smeeze
  • Thanks 1

If he was dropped in your league, get in on this upcoming schedule! Starting tomorrow,

@KC
vs TOR
@DET
@MIN ... maybe
vs MIN, vs TEX

• Like 2

23 minutes ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

If he was dropped in your league, get in on this upcoming schedule! Starting tomorrow,

@KC
vs TOR
@DET
@MIN ... maybe
vs MIN, vs TEX

That's nice. But it sucks that the Angels are worse than pretty much all those teams. Someone can debate me about KC.

Edited by hangin n wangin
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

19 minutes ago, hangin n wangin said:

That's nice. But it sucks that the Angels are worse than pretty much all those teams. Someone can debate me about KC.

Just scored 10 runs with Blake Snell starting.

1 hour ago, Hockey_Baseball said:

@KC
vs TOR
@DET
@MIN ... maybe
vs MIN, vs TEX

He's going to be babied so hard off the DL that I wouldn't consider him a priority add right away unless you have room 

Edited by abachar

Thanks bud!!! Against DET no less

Every time I've ever streamed this dude - regardless of opponent - he's shat himself. 

A start like this vs a lineup like that basically gets you on my instant drop, will never roster again s--- list. Cya never Skaggs I’m done for life. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, KrunK said:

A start like this vs a lineup like that basically gets you on my instant drop, will never roster again s--- list. Cya never Skaggs I’m done for life. 

I think I likely said this before and then went back on it obviously today, but A-FREAKING-Men.

• Like 1

I still like Skaggs and am sticking with him

• Like 2

45 minutes ago, jb_power said:

I still like Skaggs and am sticking with him

Same. It was one clunker. People act like pitchers don't have clunkers.

That being said, yea, he was an idiot last start.

I don't own him, but I had him last year and I recall that Detroit hit him hard last year as well, wouldn't panic just yet

• Like 1