brockpapersizer

Garrett Cooper 2019 Outlook

58 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Nope only 4 "appearances" at 1B.  Not starts where tonight is only his 2nd.  On Yahoo it is either 10 appearances or 5 starts.

Who knew I'd ever own any Marlin other than Caleb Smith when this season started but here I am too in this thread now with this dude playing for me.

I went on MLB.com and went back to the lineup cards dating back to mid May and counted four times where he was listed as 1B including tonite...so one more of those and he should get it...no?

4 minutes ago, dfstout said:

I went on MLB.com and went back to the lineup cards dating back to mid May and counted four times where he was listed as 1B including tonite...so one more of those and he should get it...no?

True, but he only started in 1 of those 4 games at 1B.  He must have been moved there as a switch if he started the games.  His page on ESPN lists him as 4 games at 1B, but only 1 start there, and that's what I always use when wondering about positional eligibility.

He may get it at some point since he only needs 3 more now, but it's not coming yet obviously.

Edited by KilloWertz
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, dfstout said:

What KilloWertz said above.  "Appearances" are different then "starts" but includes started games in the grand total as well.  So an "appearance" means either a switch in positions to, in this case 1B, during the game or coming in as a pinch hitter and staying in the game or defensive replacement or for an injured player plus a game started also counts as an appearance.  In other words ANY game where he played 1B in this case.

On Yahoo you qualify with either 5 starts or 10 appearances. Whatever comes first.

Here is the link to Baseball Reference which every fantasy owner should frequent:

https://www.baseball-reference.com/players/c/coopega03.shtml

Go down to the Standard Fielding Table near the bottom.  There are two columns.  "G" and "GS".  G = Games as in "appearances" (whether starting or coming in later and playing that position).  GS = Games Started.  This later is where you count Yahoo's 5 games started.  The former ("G") is where you count "appearances" which Yahoo requires 10 of.  Hope that helps you some. 

• Thanks 1

He had 4 runs tonight too. Marlins won't produce like this every night, but his place in the batting order + how he's hitting. Tonight alone nearly pushed his average over .300!

• Like 1

I hope when its said and done we are talking about Cooper in the late bloomer conversation like Joey Bats, Nelson Cruz and David Ortiz variety!!! A man can dream...

On 6/3/2019 at 1:07 PM, ThreadKiller said:

And this is why fans shouldn't be allowed to vote lol.

@dfstout, Hey man. What's confusing about my post? Figured I'd offer to clear it up for you if you need.

Cooper is certainly raking right now, making many (including me) look silly.

6 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

@dfstout, Hey man. What's confusing about my post? Figured I'd offer to clear it up for you if you need.

Cooper is certainly raking right now, making many (including me) look silly.

Just a joke cuz of Cooper's big night, as in "What do you mean he's not an All-Star???" lol

No offense, I enjoy your commentary...go scoop the Coop! 

1 minute ago, dfstout said:

Just a joke cuz of Cooper's big night, as in "What do you mean he's not an All-Star???" lol

No offense, I enjoy your commentary...go scoop the Coop! 

I'm honestly thinking about it. He's still sitting there and I know it won't be for long. Just trying to figure out who to drop (we don't have large benches). Sorry this is probably talk for BCF.

Anyhow, I love to see a guy that's been overlooked beast like this.

• Like 1

Warning Brockpapersizer Victory Lap™️ ahead. Proceed with caution.

On 3/24/2019 at 4:41 AM, brockpapersizer said:

How bored am I that I started a Garrett Cooper player thread? 7/10, but I also did it last year.

He was injured all of last year and he's crushed it this spring. Make no mistake about it, he's a deep league guy, 12 team 5 OF bench guy for now, maybe needs to be more teams.   Marlins sent down Peter O'Bbrien. RR currently projects him to bat 5th and as their starting RF. It doesn't seem like with their current roster construction that he will be out of the lineup much.

He's killing it this spring, hitting over 400 and earned himself a job despite O'brien's hot finish to 2018. He's an interesting guy to monitor. 

https://www.sun-sentinel.com/sports/miami-marlins/fl-sp-marlins-20190316-story.html

qCSEvnZ.png

In that sentence if you sub "He" with "Our fantasy advice", it starts to make sense. Here are his numbers since this rotoworld blurb.

En3OETb.png

What started as a bandwagon with a population of 1 has grown into a way of life for all us Garrett Cooper owners.  All his bombs have been crushed.

• Like 4
  • Thanks 3

8 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

So is he bonafidé or bonifacio?

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

qCSEvnZ.png

In that sentence if you sub "He" with "Our fantasy advice", it starts to make sense. Here are his numbers since this rotoworld blurb.

En3OETb.png

What started as a bandwagon with a population of 1 has grown into a way of life for all us Garrett Cooper owners.  All his bombs have been crushed.

Well done sir. Well done.

12 minutes ago, ghostdragon said:

pitcherlist endorsing Coop in their buy column today

Garret Cooper (OF, Miami Marlins)

The Coopa Troopa is launching some hammers lately. The Miami outfielder has hit an impressive .364/.423/.636 this week with two homers to bring him to .256/.337/.423 with four homers over 78 at-bats on the year. Being on the Marlins, a team virtually devoid of usable options, he has automatic deep-league value in guaranteed playing time, but I think there’s potential for more than that. His 91 mph exit velocity is a career-best, which could explain his superior xBA of .290 and xSLG of .494, but that’s not nearly as surprising as his contact ability. After posting a Joey Gallo-esque 67% contact rate in 2018, it suddenly jumped to a perfectly acceptable 81%, and if he can maintain that power and contact, he could be a sneaky source of a .275-plus average and 10-15 homers the rest of the way. Add in NL-only and 18-team formats, and he is a viable streamer in five-outfielder 15-team average leagues.

----------------------------------------------------

What an absolutely horrible blurb. 67% contact rate in 2018?  In 14 games? Less of which he statted.

Add in NL/18 team leagues? Good luck Ben Pernick. That ship sailed at least a week ago, and possibly much more in leagues that deep. Just a terrible article full of obvious takes and overreacting to games from the day before.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

qCSEvnZ.png

En3OETb.png

Was @fawkes_mulder not an original bandwagon rider in the Mini Cooper?  

24 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Was @fawkes_mulder not an original bandwagon rider in the Mini Cooper?  

No. Although he was still one of the very first. Bandwagon was so lonely for a while.  I guess honestly Alex Chamberlain was before me if I'm being completely honest. You can read page 1 of this thread or last year's (which I started as well).  He got me interested in him, and then I just kept following Cooper. Nothing about Cooper ever seemed bad except that he kept getting hurt. At the cost of nothing in all leagues one month ago (I've actually rostered him in some leagues since draft and carried him through IL stints), he was an easy player for me to get in a lot of leagues. 

I don't think he keeps up a 300+ average, but he can hit and should be locked into a good lineup spot for the season barring injury. I think Alex Chamberlain comped him to Eric Hosmer.  Eric Hosmer without the prospect pedigree and a free price tag is quite the useful get in deep leagues.

Edited by brockpapersizer
  • Like 1

14 minutes ago, brockpapersizer said:

No. Although he was still one of the very first. Bandwagon was so lonely for a while.  I guess honestly Alex Chamberlain was before me if I'm being completely honest. You can read page 1 of this thread or last year's (which I started as well).  He got me interested in him, and then I just kept following Cooper. Nothing about Cooper ever seemed bad except that he kept getting hurt. At the cost of nothing in all leagues one month ago (I've actually rostered him in some leagues since draft and carried him through IL stints), he was an easy player for me to get in a lot of leagues. 

I don't think he keeps up a 300+ average, but he can hit and should be locked into a good lineup spot for the season barring injury. I think Alex Chamberlain comped him to Eric Hosmer.  Eric Hosmer without the prospect pedigree and a free price tag is quite the useful get in deep leagues.

I’m having a lot of fun in my leagues on the slack pages / what’s app chats. I had Cooper stashed on my IR while he had a .000 batting average on the season hahaha

i give @brockpapersizer all the credit, he got me hyped. Garrett Cooper is probably our number 1 topic of conversation in real life too, when we play bball.

• Like 1

Everyone's hangin' w/ Mr. Cooper now, man...and if you're  not, then now YOU are alone...Super Cooper!

• Like 1

Feel bad for Nelson owners.  They’re so pumped for his comeback tonight.  Only to likely have the party crashed by Cooper.  It’s okay Jimmy, we won’t hold it against you.

• Haha 5

I picked him up and started him this week in a league due to need.  One concern with his plate discipline over his career.  He doesn't walk to K rate isn't the greatest.  That being said, he has hit at every level.  For free why not ride the wave and see if he can keep it up RoS.

Another start today at 1B which will push him up to 3 starts after tonight.  Harold Ramirez seems to be playing RF now so Coop will scoop not only 1B eligibility on Yahoo by this Friday if the pattern holds but will be well on his way to it on other platforms sometime next week. 

Meanwhile Baseball Reference shows he already has 20 starts even in the OF (all in RF) so far this year which will re-qualify him at that position for next year in dynasty and keeper leagues on all platforms already if the season ended today.

4 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Another start today at 1B which will push him up to 3 starts after tonight.  Harold Ramirez seems to be playing RF now so Coop will scoop not only 1B eligibility on Yahoo by this Friday if the pattern holds but will be well on his way to it on other platforms sometime next week. 

Meanwhile Baseball Reference shows he already has 20 starts even in the OF (all in RF) so far this year which will re-qualify him at that position for next year in dynasty and keeper leagues on all platforms already if the season ended today.

I play in a fantrax league where you need 5 games, he already qualifies there.