monkeydad

Niko Goodrum 2019 Outlook

No 2019 thread on this super utility man yet

Reports are he has the 2B job locked up in Detroit for this year, but has eligibility at 1B/2B/3B/SS/LF/RF going into the season.

I was short a backup MI on a dynasty team and picked him up.  Also considering him on another keeper team.

Has a decent mix of power and speed, with 16 HR and 12 SB last year in a part-time utility role in 131 games.   Now an everyday starter, he could inch up towards 20-20 with the best position eligibility you can get.  Also, only 27 years old.

Anyone else buying, or least experimenting?  I won't be starting him but as a fill-in for the days I'm short an active player at any position...he'll work well.

1 hour ago, monkeydad said:

No 2019 thread on this super utility man yet

Reports are he has the 2B job locked up in Detroit for this year, but has eligibility at 1B/2B/3B/SS/LF/RF going into the season.

I was short a backup MI on a dynasty team and picked him up.  Also considering him on another keeper team.

Has a decent mix of power and speed, with 16 HR and 12 SB last year in a part-time utility role in 131 games.   Now an everyday starter, he could inch up towards 20-20 with the best position eligibility you can get.  Also, only 27 years old.

Anyone else buying, or least experimenting?  I won't be starting him but as a fill-in for the days I'm short an active player at any position...he'll work well.

They signed Josh Harrison to lock down the 2B spot but Goodrum should fill your initial statement, Super Utility Man for the Tigers this year.

Goodrum is their 1B. Miggy is DH.  Yea I have Goodrum on some teams.  He only has 2B and 1B eligibility in mine though.

Loving the position eligibility.  Sounds like their manager has faith too:

Goodrum, who is hitting .333 this spring, impressed in his few center field appearances this spring.

“Niko can play,” Gardenhire said. “He’s going to play somewhere every day. It might be center field, but Mahtook’s more refined — more pronounced in center field, let’s put it that way — but Niko can run it down.

Niko is exactly the type of bench guy I love having, especially in deep leagues. I've never read anything but praise from his managers/GMs/coaches, and he definitely has raw ability. I'm not sure he'll ever be that much of a threat to hit for average (although his spring stats have been great this year... I know- spring), but he carries good category juice for some homers and steals. For a guy that can basically limit the impact of any injury on your roster, he's a perfect glue guy at the end of the bench. 

You guys convinced me to pull the trigger as my next-to-last pick in my Keeper League draft (going on right now).

I'll have him on both of my teams as I already scooped him up as s FA on my other Dynasty team.

I had Kiki Hernandez a couple years ago in a similar role, worked out well..

I picked Niko up as my super utility player.  For what it's worth, Goodrum has batted 5th, 4th,4th, 4th and 4th in Detroit's last 5 games thru 3/26.  Love the position eligibility and spot in the order and Gardy did say he was going to play every day.

• Like 2

Just picked him up for depth this morning due to his positional versatility (1B, 2B, 3B, SS and OF eligible on Yahoo) and the fact that Willy Adames sucks. I’m always skeptical of late bloomers, but this guy is going to play every day and hit in the middle of the order behind Miggy. Very useful IMO.

For those who pay close attention to their lineups, particularly in deep leagues, this guy's position eligibility makes him absolute fantasy gold. 

I never carry bench bats but I am this season with him. Love the positional eligibility. 

Don’t like bats on the bench. Never carry them and have won multiple championships. I’d rather roster additional pitchers or leave a roster spot available for a speculative prospect add. 

• Haha 1

3 hours ago, Call me Red said:

Don’t like bats on the bench. Never carry them and have won multiple championships. I’d rather roster additional pitchers or leave a roster spot available for a speculative prospect add. 

Who really looks at a man's shoes?

• Like 2

He will start spanking them soon. His hard hit% and his line drive% are too juicy right now for his average to be so low. If the baseball gods pour some Goodrum then I think we could see a 15/15 season with strong BB% rates. 

1 hour ago, lipperskoal said:

He will start spanking them soon. His hard hit% and his line drive% are too juicy right now for his average to be so low. If the baseball gods pour some Goodrum then I think we could see a 15/15 season with strong BB% rates. 

I honestly think 15/15 is closer to the floor barring injury, but I'm worried about the other counting stats with that mediocre lineup around him.

His Barrel%, XBa, XSlg are all up from last year, so I really want to hold him. At the same time, he’s sucked so much the past month. Not sure how much longer I can give him to break out of this slump.

Dude is doing nothing at the plate right now. It's hard to hold onto him. The position eligibility is nice, but it doesn't mean much if he isn't producing. Badrum. (ok, that was a lame attempt at humor)

What in the world happened here? Still batting lead off but only because this system is a wasteland of hitting.