Sign in to follow this  
oswald737

Chris Paddack 2019 Outlook

1 minute ago, Eddie Mush said:

Paddack to single A? WTF?

Likely because it is closest affiliate to San Diego.

• Like 3

Could be a way to limit his innings. I dunno, but I do think of this as a great buy-low opportunity.

2 minutes ago, dmb3684 said:

Bad look for SD.

Not at all. They aren’t doing it for service time but beacuase they want to give him rest and they can have him work short stints something you can’t do in the bigs. He’s basically skipping a start or two but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have done this after his next start and rested him almost a month til after the AS game

maybe they saw something in his last few outings they want him to work on?  2 birds with one stone they can limit his exposure and he can work on some stuff

15 minutes ago, Golden Spikes said:

Not at all. They aren’t doing it for service time but beacuase they want to give him rest and they can have him work short stints something you can’t do in the bigs. He’s basically skipping a start or two but it wouldn’t be a bad idea to have done this after his next start and rested him almost a month til after the AS game

We will see I guess. 

To some extent it is a service time thing. I get that they want to limit his innings, but there's this magical thing in the majors called a bullpen. They could have chosen that. Now a bullpen may not be the most ideal spot since it does not guarantee regular work. One could use Paddack as a sort of opener. Let him start every 5th game but pitch limited innings. But obviously if Paddack is not pitching many innings his value dips. So, as someone stated, kill two birds with one stone. Send him to the minors to manipulate his service time and put him on a light schedule. He'll probably be back post All-Star break

I actually don't mind this move.  It gives him a chance to get some things cleaned up without the pressure of having to come out of the bullpen.

It also could mean us fantasy owners could have him pitching later into the season, when it matters.

Besides, he would probably be on my bench anyway for the foreseeable future.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, crotchcrickets said:

I actually don't mind this move.  It gives him a chance to get some things cleaned up without the pressure of having to come out of the bullpen.

It also could mean us fantasy owners could have him pitching later into the season, when it matters.

Besides, he would probably be on my bench anyway for the foreseeable future.

I agree. Hopefully this will keep him available and fresh for the fantasy playoffs. I had already anticipated not having him toward the end of the season and just wanted to get what I could out of him for the regular season, but with the way he’s been pitching I was going to be benching him also. So at least maybe this gives some hope for him coming back and having an impact for playoffs.

I would imagine they are doing this to limit his innings and rest but I also believe they realize he can’t be effective as a starter as a two pitch pitcher. Hitters have been sitting on the fastball and they have been hitting it hard. When you give MLB hitters a 50/50 chance of guessing the pitch, especially if they have seen him two or three times already that game or this season, they are going to start hitting it hard. So, I think the Padres are also sending him down to work on that curveball. He needs to at least have hitters thinking about three pitches. He’s too predictable with only two, even if they are both elite pitches with elite command. It may have worked against minor leaguers, but MLB batters have figured him out. They aren’t chasing the changeup anymore, they are making contact, fouling off a lot of balls, his pitch count has been up earlier into games (I’m using my observations not analytics, so I could be wrong and feel free to correct me) and they just aren’t swinging and missing nearly as much as the beginning of the season. 

The other idea that crossed my mind, which will be an unpopular opinion, is if he can’t start using an effective third pitch, maybe they consider him as a closer. Then he can bring his fastball in at around 96-97 and use his changeup. With his intensity, elite command and low walk rates, I could see him being successful as a closer, but of course I’d rather see him as a dominant starter. But at least as a closer batters will only see him once a game and not get three at bats against him to figure him out. This is just a short term idea if he can’t continue to be effective as a starter. Can always get him stretched out again and transition back into a starter. Again, just an idea, but I hope that he’s going down to work on having an effective third pitch and comes back a more dangerous starter.

• Like 2

So I am wondering what are you doing with Paddock after his demotion?  Hold or drop 

20 hours ago, Fuzzy_Slippers said:

Should be back up in 10 days or so. 

Are we sure on this? I read the Padres did this to limit his innings. Does that mean he won’t pitch in 10/20 or 30 days? 

Took my chances and dropped him (need a spot to bring Clevinger off the DL anyway). I will reevaluate when/if he comes back up. No one knows how long he will be done and plus he hadn't done anything for several starts.

12 minutes ago, Dalton Gang said:

Took my chances and dropped him (need a spot to bring Clevinger off the DL anyway). I will reevaluate when/if he comes back up. No one knows how long he will be done and plus he hadn't done anything for several starts.

probably will pay off. by the sound of how some people are talking you wont see Paddock again this season if the Padres don't stay in playoff contention. Paddock hasn't pitched good recently on top of that.

22 minutes ago, shakestreet said:

So I am wondering what are you doing with Paddock after his demotion?  Hold or drop 

Are we sure on this? I read the Padres did this to limit his innings. Does that mean he won’t pitch in 10/20 or 30 days? 

drop him in re-drafts more than likely. however you should wait to see what they are going to do. 

• Like 1

22 hours ago, The 7th Beatles said:

So does this mean that the first 20 days he's in the minors still count towards major league service time? Or is he 20 days away from SD gaining an extra year of control? My first though was that they'd leave him down the same amount of days that teams delayed callups at the beginning of the year. That may still be the case, but now there's another 20 days extra they'd have to leave him down. If the first 20 days are considered MLB service time, then I'd guess he's down for at least 36 days. 

while Paddack is in the minors is he going to be starting? I would think no because that wouldn't help limit the innings he throws. so what is he doing, throwing bullpens?

On 6/13/2019 at 2:36 PM, mavsfan23 said:

So does this mean that the first 20 days he's in the minors still count towards major league service time? Or is he 20 days away from SD gaining an extra year of control? My first though was that they'd leave him down the same amount of days that teams delayed callups at the beginning of the year. That may still be the case, but now there's another 20 days extra they'd have to leave him down. If the first 20 days are considered MLB service time, then I'd guess he's down for at least 36 days. 

20 days away from SD gaining extra control. 

• Thanks 1

On 6/12/2019 at 3:52 PM, The 7th Beatles said:

He's physically in High A Lake Elsinor.  He was taking batting practice on the field with Mackenzie Gore yesterday. 

I doubt he actually pitches down there.   My guess is he pitches next Sunday in MLB.

• Like 1

I hope the sent-down was for all the right reasons and he comes back even more masterful going forward. Claimed him in two leagues where was dropped. Those owners done goofed.

5 minutes ago, The_Real_Deal said:

I hope the sent-down was for all the right reasons and he comes back even more masterful going forward. Claimed him in two leagues where was dropped. Those owners done goofed.

“Done goofed”?  That sounds like a stretch.  Many reasons to drop him in many situations. That said, I hope he comes back and pitches well.