loro1991

Jorge Soler 2019 Outlook

13 minutes ago, Jyeatbvg said:

All in if he can win the jays a world series with a walk off dong.

I was just over a year old when that happened and still have PTSD from it. 

I'd say Soler is a bit hot right now...

10-21, 6 Runs, 2 HRs, 5 RBIs in his last 5 games

• Like 1

And in the process bringing his OBP up north of .300.  Quite the accomplishment.

I’m not going to lie, I’m tempted to pick him up in light of his current hot streak. But I won’t.

And he ain’t no spring chicken - 27 years old already.  At what point will he acquire the appropriate plate discipline?  .500 slugging is nice, don’t get me wrong.

Oh well.  My league shall remain uncompetitive with Soler on the waiver wire.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

This guy has had big time potential written all over him throughout the years, but injuries and PT have always come in the way. Looks like now he’s putting together a full season and he’s about to breakout. Strikeouts may be an issue but the power is real. Not to mention with Whit, Mondesi, Gordon and Dozier hitting infront of him he will have plenty of RBI chances. Go get him now.

Edited by radioflyer9
  • Like 2

like franmil reyes before him, this potential stud has pulled me back in.  let's hope this is the beginning of a sustained run.  He's been great last 2 - 3 weeks.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

And in the process bringing his OBP up north of .300.  Quite the accomplishment.

I’m not going to lie, I’m tempted to pick him up in light of his current hot streak. But I won’t.

And he ain’t no spring chicken - 27 years old already.  At what point will he acquire the appropriate plate discipline?  .500 slugging is nice, don’t get me wrong.

Oh well.  My league shall remain uncompetitive with Soler on the waiver wire.

I do find it odd his walk rate is as low as it is, he's normally right around ten percent, which still isn't phenomenal but works. Keep in mind though that this is a guy that has only played 100 games once in his career, partly due to injury (remember looked like he was breaking out last year) and partly due to the Cubs not really having a spot for him when he was there. Still, he was always regarded as a power first prospect when he was coming up and has lived up to that this season. I don't think this is just a hot streak, I think this is a post-hype guy finally living up to that hype. He wouldn't be the first, one of the greatest hitters of his generation, Edgar Martinez, didn't do jack until he turned 27. Obviously not trying to imply Soler is Edgar, even if he hits his ceiling he's not comparable, just trying to illustrate that sometimes a guy takes a while to actually show his potential. I'm liking Soler quite a bit right now, honestly surprised he's still unowned in so many leagues.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, phillyphan21 said:

I do find it odd his walk rate is as low as it is, he's normally right around ten percent, which still isn't phenomenal but works. Keep in mind though that this is a guy that has only played 100 games once in his career, partly due to injury (remember looked like he was breaking out last year) and partly due to the Cubs not really having a spot for him when he was there. Still, he was always regarded as a power first prospect when he was coming up and has lived up to that this season. I don't think this is just a hot streak, I think this is a post-hype guy finally living up to that hype. He wouldn't be the first, one of the greatest hitters of his generation, Edgar Martinez, didn't do jack until he turned 27. Obviously not trying to imply Soler is Edgar, even if he hits his ceiling he's not comparable, just trying to illustrate that sometimes a guy takes a while to actually show his potential. I'm liking Soler quite a bit right now, honestly surprised he's still unowned in so many leagues.

Hunter Dozier is still unowned in about 25% of leagues.  Obviously I'm not comparing the two players, but that should tell you something.

As for Soler, he's pretty much right in line with what he was doing when he began to break out last season before that came to a screeching halt due to injury.  The K's are way up and the walks are down, but the K's have normalized during this really good stretch, so there's hope there.  If he can stay healthy, this may very well not just be a hot stretch.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, KilloWertz said:

Hunter Dozier is still unowned in about 25% of leagues.  Obviously I'm not comparing the two players, but that should tell you something.

As for Soler, he's pretty much right in line with what he was doing when he began to break out last season before that came to a screeching halt due to injury.  The K's are way up and the walks are down, but the K's have normalized during this really good stretch, so there's hope there.  If he can stay healthy, this may very well not just be a hot stretch.

Soler is only owned in just over twenty percent of ESPN leagues and close to thirty percent of Yahoo leagues. Admittedly I can see him being unowned in smaller leagues with shallower benches, but he seems too hot to be in the free agent pool in that many leagues. Real or not a breakout like this is worth the speculative add imo. 

• Like 2

I’ve been talking a lot of ____ about Soler in this thread, and I said I wouldn’t bother picking him up if I was in need of an outfielder, but I went ahead and did it anyway.  First day on my roster, and he has a homer.  Also 2 walks, which is nice to see.  So the hot streak continues, and I am temporarily on board.  I’m concerned about his relatively low batting average (.250-260 range) and the zero steals, of course, but 10 HR in 160 AB is nice.

On 5/10/2019 at 11:19 PM, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I’ve been talking a lot of ____ about Soler in this thread, and I said I wouldn’t bother picking him up if I was in need of an outfielder, but I went ahead and did it anyway.  First day on my roster, and he has a homer.  Also 2 walks, which is nice to see.  So the hot streak continues, and I am temporarily on board.  I’m concerned about his relatively low batting average (.250-260 range) and the zero steals, of course, but 10 HR in 160 AB is nice.

Wont be a high AVG guy but the power is real, if he can keep drawing more walks id be optimistic he approaches 30 HR given full health

I know he's not exactly lighting the league on fire, but I'm really surprised to see he's still only 24% owned on ESPN.  In my league, he's OF14.

1 hour ago, JJ1223 said:

I know he's not exactly lighting the league on fire, but I'm really surprised to see he's still only 24% owned on ESPN.  In my league, he's OF14.

Which means he is ranked 14th among players at his primary position -- i.e. LF (or is it RF?) but not among all OF, collectively.  In that context, it roughly equates to being ~42nd among all OF assuming each specific position (LF, CF and RF) is equally as deep league wide.  Still worth holding in leagues that roster 5 OF.  

• Like 1

I wouldn't worry about the power falling off. Health is my only concern.

he is good for leagues where you need your DH spot filled with someone who qualified as DH. other than that I mean there is nothing great.

• Haha 1

17 hours ago, 80version said:

Which means he is ranked 14th among players at his primary position -- i.e. LF (or is it RF?) but not among all OF, collectively.  In that context, it roughly equates to being ~42nd among all OF assuming each specific position (LF, CF and RF) is equally as deep league wide.  Still worth holding in leagues that roster 5 OF.  

Got it, thanks - I didn't realize ESPN started breaking it down by LF/CF/RF, I thought it was just overall OF.  That makes more sense.  I just double checked based on 2019 PR and he's actually somewhere around OF40.

7 minutes ago, JJ1223 said:

Got it, thanks - I didn't realize ESPN started breaking it down by LF/CF/RF, I thought it was just overall OF.  That makes more sense.  I just double checked based on 2019 PR and he's actually somewhere around OF40.

Yeah he's not a bad fourth or fifth outfielder to be deployed in situations like the doubleheader yesterday,

Well, I’ve had him for about three weeks now, and I gotta say that this guy just bores me to tears.  I will be parting ways with Jose shortly.  

13 bombs 💣 and 36 rbi and hitting almost .250 is not bad for a deep bench guy. Hitting behind dozier should keep his rbi’s healthy. .240 26 hr and 80 rbi potential should not be so underowned

I swear there’s like 40 guys with 12 or more bombs.  It’s been such a great year to find power on the waiver wire.  And while 13 HR/36 RBI is nice, that average and complete lack of steals is pretty weak.  Not to mention only 26 runs, mostly because his OBP is .296.  But overall OPS still pushing .800.

Bottom Line is he’s rosterable, but in constant danger of being dropped.

• Like 1

59 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

I swear there’s like 40 guys with 12 or more bombs.  It’s been such a great year to find power on the waiver wire.  And while 13 HR/36 RBI is nice, that average and complete lack of steals is pretty weak.  Not to mention only 26 runs, mostly because his OBP is .296.  But overall OPS still pushing .800.

Bottom Line is he’s rosterable, but in constant danger of being dropped.

funny you say that. I look at players and see guys with double digit HRs and on pace for over 100 RBIs (Soler, Dozier, Franmil HRs) and I say this is kind of weak. remember what 30+HRs and 100+RBIs is.

It seems like everybody and their mother is on pace for 30+ HR.  100 RBI is still fairly impressive if we’re looking at players who are on pace to do that this season, though.  Soler is fortunate to have guys like Merrifield, Mondesi, etc hitting in front of him.

And it should be clarified that Soler is on pace for 35+, but he’s more injury-prone than most players, for whatever reason.

Bryce Harper without the walks. pretty much could have gotten Bryce Harper for your waiver wire.