mowntineer

Joey Gallo 2019 Outlook

I bet on him last year and he really came through. He doesn't have 3B eligibility in ESPN anymore, but thinking I might rely on that big bat again this year. How's everyone feeling? Couldn't believe he didnt have a thread yet. 

One of my favorite value picks in my OBP/SLG league. He should return 4th round value or better in that type of format. 35+HR all but guaranteed, hoping he hits around .220 with a 14% BB% and creeps toward 190 R+RBI

Hes one whose ADP undersold projections. In Avg leagues you have to account for that drag but at least you know about it in advance as opposed to some avg drains that pop up unexpectedly.

6 hours ago, WatchMeWHIP said:

One of my favorite value picks in my OBP/SLG league. He should return 4th round value or better in that type of format. 35+HR all but guaranteed, hoping he hits around .220 with a 14% BB% and creeps toward 190 R+RBI

If he hits .220 he's having a good year.

• Like 2

Might be too early to say this (it isn’t in the Moncada thread) but our boy’s Ks are down so far. 

SwStr% is down 7%, O-Swing is down 15%. Overall K% down 12%

These kinds of measures stabilize fairly quickly in terms of PA, so very encouraging. Gotta wonder if he’s changed his approach. The HRs are still there, though.

If he can hit .230-.240 then you have Khris Davis but about 3-4 rds later

Edited by UberRebel
Spelling
  • Like 1

His eye already looks much improved to me in the early going - I’ve never seen him quite this patient 

• Like 1

Don't you believe it lol.  Man has never hit over 209 in the Majors and carries a lifetime 204 avg.  No reason to assume that is going up anything appreciable over a decent sample size.

Agreed, he cut his K rate early last year too.

Need to see a much larger sample before we think hes not going to K at a galloian rate.

I have every reason to believe that Gallo will revert back to his normal BA, and keep his normal HR rate.  The first week is not a good indicator of the entire season, or even one month. He won't hit over .220 you can take that to the bank.

• Haha 1

Gallo hit .239 and OPSed .932 after the all star break last year. He clearly showed some growth in the 2nd half last year and while to date we have a small sample size, it appears to be on line with last year's 2nd half.

• Like 4

Up over .280 batting average 8 bombs 20+ RBIs already.... not expecting him to continue this all year but I really think he’s grown as a hitter and is becoming a much more consistent player. Can’t believe there hasn’t been more said about his start, especially for a guy people wrote off as a .200 hitter 

52 minutes ago, erik vulaj said:

If he can hit above 250, going to be a top 40 hitter

He was a top 60 hitter last year hitting .200. If he hit .250 he'd be a top 25-30 bat. For comparison's sake, Rhys Hoskins hit .246 last year with 34 homers and was around the 35th best hitter. Gallo has hit 40 the last two seasons. 

Very true. I've owned him past few years don't remember him stringing this many 2-3 hit games in a month maybe he makes the leap to .250

I really feel like he's been so under appreciated these past couple of years. In H2H, where counting stats matter so much and BA doesn't have the same effect week-to-week compared to overall, you can pencil him in for almost 2 HR every week. That's comforting. 

On 4/29/2019 at 11:06 AM, Dirty Little Birdie said:

anyone buying high here? if so, what are we offering? 

I’d be doing just the opposite.