Sign in to follow this  
tm30

Revised Top 10 Prospects

Recommended Posts

Also, MLB.com did a refresh of their Top 100, although it's not a full re-ranking.

An explanation of the changes is at https://www.mlb.com/news/updated-top-100-prospects-list-june-2019?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

The full list is at http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=100

Grayson Rodriguez is a big jumper, going from 90 to 54. Cassas and Anthony Kay enter the list at the end.

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
4 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Also, MLB.com did a refresh of their Top 100, although it's not a full re-ranking.

An explanation of the changes is at https://www.mlb.com/news/updated-top-100-prospects-list-june-2019?t=mlb-pipeline-coverage

The full list is at http://m.mlb.com/prospects/2019?list=100

Grayson Rodriguez is a big jumper, going from 90 to 54. Cassas and Anthony Kay enter the list at the end.

Dylan Carlson getting some love, at 89 on this list. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What are the most important stats you look at when evaluating prospects (both hitters and pitchers)? 

 

Batters - AVG, K%, BB%, ISO, BABIP, SB?

Pitchers - ERA, FIP (or xFIP), K/9, BB/9, Arsenal of Pitches?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
10 minutes ago, phily915 said:

What are the most important stats you look at when evaluating prospects (both hitters and pitchers)? 

 

Batters - AVG, K%, BB%, ISO, BABIP, SB?

Pitchers - ERA, FIP (or xFIP), K/9, BB/9, Arsenal of Pitches?

 

Dont care about BABIB or SB really. 

 

  • Like 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/21/2019 at 8:59 AM, 12to6 said:

John Sickels also updated his list at The Athletic.

Subscription required, but I'll leave the link here in case others are members: https://theathletic.com/1037572/2019/06/20/john-sickels-top-100-prospects-updated/

 

Thanks - did not realize this was out there; 

Julio Rodriguez in low 80's versus Rotowire's high teens  - not sure what to make of those differences other than Sickels must be ranking more on "on the field performance" versus Potential  - what am I missing?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The guys at Pitcher List put out a Top 100 pitching prospects list. They've done it as a composite Top 100 of two different rankers. Leads to some bizarre results where guys like Edward Cabrera, Ethan Hankins, Hans Crouse, Logan Gilbert don't make the consensus list because one guy did not rank them in the Top 100(!) Their evaluation of the guys is also very different leading to huge differences in their individual rankings of players. One guy has GrayRod at 18 and the other one has him at 59, for example.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/prospect-wars-the-top-100-pitching-prospects/

 

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 minutes ago, 12to6 said:

The guys at Pitcher List put out a Top 100 pitching prospects list. They've done it as a composite Top 100 of two different rankers. Leads to some bizarre results where guys like Edward Cabrera, Ethan Hankins, Hans Crouse, Logan Gilbert don't make the consensus list because one guy did not rank them in the Top 100(!) Their evaluation of the guys is also very different leading to huge differences in their individual rankings of players. One guy has GrayRod at 18 and the other one has him at 59, for example.

https://www.pitcherlist.com/prospect-wars-the-top-100-pitching-prospects/

 

 

Yeah it's pretty awful, I am not trying to crap on anyone's work and you could argue about a lot of stuff on any list, but this is mostly just lazy stuff imo...

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 minutes ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Yeah it's pretty awful, I am not trying to crap on anyone's work and you could argue about a lot of stuff on any list, but this is mostly just lazy stuff imo...

I haven't looked at it really closely and I generally enjoy the work the folks at PL do, so I figured I'd share. Those discrepancies did jump out at me though, so I thought they were worth mentioning. I don't know how some of those players get left off a Top 100 pitching prospects list.

On the other hand, I love lists, so...

Edited by 12to6
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 6/22/2019 at 6:26 AM, hailtoyourvictor said:

 

Dont care about BABIB or SB really. 

 

Yes and no. High BABIP in the minors does not usually mean high BABIP in the majors, but low BABIP in the minors is actually a very bad sign. Talented hitters should be taking advatange of sup par defenses and posting high BABIPs. Not doing so is a sign of a flaw with the quality on contact.

  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, 12to6 said:

Here’s BP’s midseason top 50. Lots of fun stuff in there. J-Rod (39), Mauricio (45), K-Rob (46), Valera (47) and Luciano (48) all make the top 50 and they’re all really close.  

 

https://www.baseballprospectus.com/news/article/51383/2019-prospects-the-midseason-50/

 

Luciano, Valera and K-Rob need to be higher. BA is afraid to move these young guys up aggressively. I'd have them all at least top 20 

  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

 

Luciano, Valera and K-Rob need to be higher. BA is afraid to move these young guys up aggressively. I'd have them all at least top 20 

 

I think if you're in a fantasy league, you rank all those guys high, because their potential is great and it's easy to see them producing for a decade. I don't think it's a fantasy list though. A ton of pitchers ranked.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, to_be_quite_frank said:

 

Luciano, Valera and K-Rob need to be higher. BA is afraid to move these young guys up aggressively. I'd have them all at least top 20 

I love love love the guys you mentioned but Valera and K-Rob started in short season ball and have played a grand total of 20 games outside of rookie ball. Luciano is still in rookie ball and wont be a top 5 guy until he mashes at the higher levels. If Valera/K-Rob continue destroying A-, get the promotion to A like they deserve, and keep pace there, both will probably be in the top 20 borderline entering next season. Ronny/Julio are both in A (although Julio is doing much better) which is absurd for their age 18 season. These guys might be the most talent guys in the minors but they have more risk due to their age and won't be ranked at the top until a few years.

Think about Gleyber Torres for instance. He was from what I recall the #2 player in his international J2 class and always had immense talent. He signed in 2013 but wasn't a top 10 prospect until...2017. Just like Ronny and Julio Rodriguez, he played in A ball in his second professional season, hit in the. 290s, and eventually touched High-A. By the following season he was a for sure top 100 guy. Entering 2016 he was #41 by BA, #28 by MLB pipeline, and #41 on BP. I don't like MLB pipelines rankings and often disagree with them but regardless it's a good indicator of what the mainstream thinks of him. After he continued mashing A+, he became a top 10 guy. Gleyber's profile didn't really change, he just kept proving things at a higher level, minimizing his risk.

Point being, Wander Franco is the exception not the rule. Using Gleyber as an case study, guys like him will usually have a second leap in prospect rankings in their second season outside of rookie ball. It would've helped K-Rob and Valera if they didn't have to start in Short Season, but if they continue this they'll like be top 20, 15, or maybe even 10 guys heading into 2021

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
23 hours ago, Maxcd99 said:

I love love love the guys you mentioned but Valera and K-Rob started in short season ball and have played a grand total of 20 games outside of rookie ball. Luciano is still in rookie ball and wont be a top 5 guy until he mashes at the higher levels. If Valera/K-Rob continue destroying A-, get the promotion to A like they deserve, and keep pace there, both will probably be in the top 20 borderline entering next season. Ronny/Julio are both in A (although Julio is doing much better) which is absurd for their age 18 season. These guys might be the most talent guys in the minors but they have more risk due to their age and won't be ranked at the top until a few years.

Think about Gleyber Torres for instance. He was from what I recall the #2 player in his international J2 class and always had immense talent. He signed in 2013 but wasn't a top 10 prospect until...2017. Just like Ronny and Julio Rodriguez, he played in A ball in his second professional season, hit in the. 290s, and eventually touched High-A. By the following season he was a for sure top 100 guy. Entering 2016 he was #41 by BA, #28 by MLB pipeline, and #41 on BP. I don't like MLB pipelines rankings and often disagree with them but regardless it's a good indicator of what the mainstream thinks of him. After he continued mashing A+, he became a top 10 guy. Gleyber's profile didn't really change, he just kept proving things at a higher level, minimizing his risk.

Point being, Wander Franco is the exception not the rule. Using Gleyber as an case study, guys like him will usually have a second leap in prospect rankings in their second season outside of rookie ball. It would've helped K-Rob and Valera if they didn't have to start in Short Season, but if they continue this they'll like be top 20, 15, or maybe even 10 guys heading into 2021

 

Mauricio, J.Rodriguez, Wander, Waters, Pache, Carlson, Paredes, Kieboom, and Bichette are the most impressive guys in the minors for what they're doing age comparison wise. Nats Luis Garcia isn't too shabby either, not getting embarrassed as the only 19 year old in AA with any significant amout of PA's.  

 

Edit: dropping the PA minimum to 100 and Jo Adell and Luis Robert are pretty ridiculous as well. 

Edited by mavsfan23
  • Like 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, mavsfan23 said:

Mauricio, J.Rodriguez, Wander, Waters, Pache, Carlson, Paredes, Kieboom, and Bichette are the most impressive guys in the minors for what they're doing age comparison wise. Nats Luis Garcia isn't too shabby either, not getting embarrassed as the only 19 year old in AA with any significant amout of PA's.  

 

Edit: dropping the PA minimum to 100 and Jo Adell and Luis Robert are pretty ridiculous as well. 

 

Agreed. In a fantasy context, in keeper leagues, I'm going for biggest upside possible. You don't want to be holding the Ian Happ while the Acunas of the world brush you by

  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Klaw Top50 Update dropped this morning, I get that he's polarizing around here for many reasons, but I very much respect his work.

TOP 10-

"Wander

Gore

Adell

Bichette

Lux!

Pache

Rutschman

Kelenic

Robert

Mize"

  • Like 5

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, ST. STEVEN said:

Klaw Top50 Update dropped this morning, I get that he's polarizing around here for many reasons, but I very much respect his work.

TOP 10-

"Wander

Gore

Adell

Bichette

Lux!

Pache

Rutschman

Kelenic

Robert

Mize"

As an NL-only dynasty player, who has Gore and Lux, I'm diggin' this list.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
29 minutes ago, tucker26 said:

Wasn’t sure how it would work but looks like fangraphs has been updating their Board rankings continually.

 

https://www.fangraphs.com/prospects/the-board/2019-in-season-prospect-list?sort=-1,1

 

Whitley still at 3 seems generous at this point. Anyone hear why they have him so high? 

 

Probably because his pitch arsenal and frame give him tremendous upside. I’ve watched him pitch and I can’t help but think that the poor performance has to be injury related.

  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

not sure where exactly to put this... whether or not it deserves its own thread. whatever..

fangraphs released a write-up about their updated prospect rankings, essentially giving a cheat-sheet to who they upgraded and downgraded.

https://blogs.fangraphs.com/we-adjusted-several-prospects-rankings/

 

also of note: here is a fantasy focused top 100 prospect ranking by one of the writers at fangraphs. no idea who shelly verougstraete is tho..

https://fantasy.fangraphs.com/the-stash-list-my-top-100-prospects/

Edited by osb_tensor
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Guest
Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

  Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

Loading...
Sign in to follow this  

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    No registered users viewing this page.