urban2014

Christian Walker 2019 Outlook

4 hours ago, MathieuVirtuoso said:

I picked him up earlier this year. He proceeded to go 3/22 for me with 1 million K's lol. 

Looks to be a streaky hitter, but when he's hot he's scorching. 

same here.  we both had him for those nine games in between.

"Walker had three homers in his first five games, no RBI and just two hits in his following nine games and now has three homers in his last four games"
I dropped him, with the lyrics from Tommy in my head, but maybe he's figured it out.

Captain Walker didn't come home
        His unborn child will never know him
        We believe him missing with a number of men
        Don't expect to see him again

• Haha 1

So Walker has hit three bombs in the last 4 games. Any of those against RHPs? Off hand, anyone know?

8 minutes ago, k.k. said:

So Walker has hit three bombs in the last 4 games. Any of those against RHPs? Off hand, anyone know?

Off memory I want to say yes 

I gotta say I like this guy. Yes, he will have streaks where he strikes out 5 out of 10 times, but this dude's power is legit. If he can balance the s---y moments with the grand ones, he could be a factor. 

Also he's a nice story...the dude has worked his a** off, paid dues and is likable. Nothing wrong with taking a flier on a guy who can hit a ball 450 feet. 

19 minutes ago, k.k. said:

Only one of his homers if off a lefty, so yes at least two of them were

I definitely was not expecting the speed, but that has been a nice surprise. The K-rate is concerning but as long as he keeps crushing it when he makes contact he a great utility bat. If he's cold you just sit him until he shows signs of life and then plug him back in. You may miss some bombs on your bench, but as a bench bat his upside is great.

57 minutes ago, terminator10 said:

How about that speed outburst...#breakout 

90/30/90/10/.280 anyone ?

I think the average is pretty generous and I'm curious to see how his PT works out, but I think those counting stats with a .250-.260avg is doable if he gets the time. The power is very real, just needs to limit the K's a bit if he's gonna keep a 270+ average.

• Like 1

So y'all are saying this dude sucked for 9 games, lots of whiffs and still hitting .310??  See ya Aggy, I'm hopping aboard the Goldy-lite train, kudos to whoever named him that lol sounds like a beer I can drink all day long, choo choo!!

• Like 1

This dude was a hero for muh Gamecocks in back to back College World Series championships. I've been waiting for him to get his shot, he was blocked by peak Chris Davis in Baltimore, claimed off waiver by the Braves then the Reds, finally getting a shot in Arizona now that Goldy is gone. 

• Like 1

Couldn’t ask for a much better substitute if you drafted Abreu and are waiting for warmer month Abreu to show up.

Still first in hard% 73.2%

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Wait, there's more - he is also first in soft% at 4.9%.

His statcast page says he is in the top 1% in exit velo, hard hit%, and barrels too. All kinds of red highlights going on there.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/christian-walker-572233?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

The power is real.. now just needs to work on that 32% K%.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Bobby Blue said:

Still first in hard% 73.2%

https://www.fangraphs.com/leaders.aspx?pos=all&stats=bat&lg=all&qual=y&type=2&season=2019&month=0&season1=2019&ind=0&team=0&rost=0&age=0&filter=&players=0&sort=19,d

Wait, there's more - he is also first in soft% at 4.9%.

His statcast page says he is in the top 1% in exit velo, hard hit%, and barrels too. All kinds of red highlights going on there.

https://baseballsavant.mlb.com/savant-player/christian-walker-572233?stats=career-r-hitting-mlb

The power is real.. now just needs to work on that 32% K%.

That k% in an OBP league is why he’s still on our free agent list. 

7 hours ago, Fantasy_Goat said:

That k% in an OBP league is why he’s still on our free agent list. 

You guys are too smart for your own good if no ones even picking him up to ride the hot streak, regardless of his K rate and an OBP league. He’s walking at a 10% clip so it’s not likes gonna totally murder your OBP if his average drops. 

• Like 1

7 hours ago, KingJoffrey said:

K% for a hitter is one of the most overrated stats, especially in a small sample size.

Actually K% stabilizes the quickest for hitters at around 60–80PA so it has meaning.

• Like 1

Ive been ignoring this guy for some reason this year. He's currently ranked #15 overall in my league. Its hard to find someone to drop for him though being in 10 team leagues. Anyone feel like this guy should definitely be rostered in all leagues at this point?

21 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Ive been ignoring this guy for some reason this year. He's currently ranked #15 overall in my league. Its hard to find someone to drop for him though being in 10 team leagues. Anyone feel like this guy should definitely be rostered in all leagues at this point?

His statcast data is legit. And his K% is extreme but his swinging strike rate is the lowest of his career, though still high at 16%

I could see making room for him at CI or utility spot.

13 minutes ago, ASHLANDARROWS1992 said:

DTD now in espn 

Hip pointer.  Expected to be back in lineup Monday according to ESPN blurb.  

• Like 1