ST. STEVEN

Spencer Howard - SP PHI

3 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I think most anyone here delving endlessly into prospects is usually playing in dynasty or deep keeper leagues where Spencer Howard has been off the board for two years now at least.

36 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

I think most anyone here delving endlessly into prospects is usually playing in dynasty or deep keeper leagues where Spencer Howard has been off the board for two years now at least.

Assume for a second that not everyone who frequents the minor league forum plays in dynasty or keeper leagues - would you consider making the add in leagues such as redrafts?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

Assume for a second that not everyone who frequents the minor league forum plays in dynasty or keeper leagues - would you consider making the add in leagues such as redrafts?

So I am in your situation...saw the news about five hours ago and he is still sittin there...The Phils ard high on him...he is not a lock to make the starting rotation but I would bet he does especially w short season...it depends on who you are dropping.. if its a reliever that can get you holds only then yes because those are aplenty I feel...if its a bonafide saves guy then no and if its solid 1 or 2 starter then no...or your 4th bench bat thats meh then yes... all depends...but kid has nasty stuff 99mph fast ball...4 pitches...my debate is Houser or him for example and I think Im stayin Houser..or Willy Adames or him n I think im stayin Willy for reference...

• Like 2

4 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

I would, his upside it pretty special: probably better than anyone you scoop up on waivers

3 hours ago, dfstout said:

So I am in your situation...saw the news about five hours ago and he is still sittin there...The Phils ard high on him...he is not a lock to make the starting rotation but I would bet he does especially w short season...it depends on who you are dropping.. if its a reliever that can get you holds only then yes because those are aplenty I feel...if its a bonafide saves guy then no and if its solid 1 or 2 starter then no...or your 4th bench bat thats meh then yes... all depends...but kid has nasty stuff 99mph fast ball...4 pitches...my debate is Houser or him for example and I think Im stayin Houser..or Willy Adames or him n I think im stayin Willy for reference...

Bye Willy

Goin w the young flame thrower instead...

Read Girardi's comments on him and he is smitten w this kitten...

• Like 2

Posted (edited)
10 hours ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

It depends on whether we have a season or not.  Also how many teams are in the league.  The roster size.  Etc etc.  As in this is pretty much either a Bench Coach question or a question for the pinned thread above about particular teams and prospects like a 2020 MiLB Bench Coach thread.  Most people don't see it because it is "pinned" and no one ever seems to look "up."

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

It depends on whether we have a season or not.  Also how many teams are in the league.  The roster size.  Etc etc.  As in this is pretty much either a Bench Coach question or a question for the pinned thread above about particular teams and prospects like a 2020 MiLB Bench Coach thread.  Most people don't see it because it is "pinned" and no one ever seems to look "up."

Thanks brother, I can always count on you for some solid advice. Extra thanks in pointing out that it depends on if theres a season or not. My question was cut and dry and doesnt need to be moved to another thread (is this guy restorable or not in redrafts). Yah, I could have added "in redrafts" in my original post but I specifically left out the information that you requested (teams in the league/roster size etc etc) so that it wouldn't be confused with a bench coach inquiry. Plain and simple - if this guy starts off the season as the #5 starter is he worth a roster spot or not. 

Ummm been following this kid for a while now, and when I mean kid I mean a young beast, this dude is no joke.  Think a Dylan cease with a way better fastball, and way more control, their secondary stuff is similar, they both throw the same pitches.  

Once I heard of the news I quickly dropped cease for the above reasons.   Not to mention Howard pitching in the NL, which will only help

• Like 1

19 hours ago, Brye said:

Do I drop Dylan cease for him?

I wouldn't. I just looked at ADP and once you get around the Gibson/Quintana/Means area for who you'd cut, then I'd possibly take a stab. Which is basically a little after where Gore/Pearson/McKay are going lately. Howard only has 30 IP at AA as his highest level, and while it's a very good 30 innings, it's still AA. 

6 minutes ago, mavsfan23 said:

I wouldn't. I just looked at ADP and once you get around the Gibson/Quintana/Means area for who you'd cut, then I'd possibly take a stab. Which is basically a little after where Gore/Pearson/McKay are going lately. Howard only has 30 IP at AA as his highest level, and while it's a very good 30 innings, it's still AA. 

Yeah my pitching staff pretty good tho in a 12 teamer, Corbin-Syndergaard-sonny Gray-Lynn-Carrasco-weaver-archer

cease was my 8th sp but dropped him because he’s never had a walk per 9 below 4 in all minor league years, and in the big last year, and his fast ball is straight and flat. 

Read a few scoring reports and they all say he has a + fastball that’s heavy with life, and his secondary pitches are above average.  His walk rate is hovering around 2.5,, and he’s pitching in the NL and behind a better defense , also the trends on yahoo have him as number one player being added 

2 minutes ago, Brye said:

Yeah my pitching staff pretty good tho in a 12 teamer, Corbin-Syndergaard-sonny Gray-Lynn-Carrasco-weaver-archer

cease was my 8th sp but dropped him because he’s never had a walk per 9 below 4 in all minor league years, and in the big last year, and his fast ball is straight and flat. 

Read a few scoring reports and they all say he has a + fastball that’s heavy with life, and his secondary pitches are above average.  His walk rate is hovering around 2.5,, and he’s pitching in the NL and behind a better defense , also the trends on yahoo have him as number one player being added 

I'm really high on Cease, but it's not a clear cut decision by any means. Once you get in that range of pitchers they're all dart throws, so get your guy. 

If/when this guy gets called up, he'll be early mention for ROY. His stuff is THAT electric.

4 hours ago, lavaman said:

If/when this guy gets called up, he'll be early mention for ROY. His stuff is THAT electric.

110% agreed, this kid is criminally underrated with guys ahead of him that don’t have the stuff and command that this kid has aka Dustin May, A.J. puk, Forrest Whitley ..... take notice this guy is better than those 3 easily just watch and enjoy

On 3/22/2020 at 4:25 PM, Brye said:

I would cut Archer for him in a heartbeat

8 hours ago, mavsfan23 said:

MLB.com stated in an article reviewing their 60 man roster, that Howard "will not open the season with the team because of service time considerations." Has anyone seen this from Phillies, or is this MLB.com speculating?

Link to article https://www.mlb.com/news/phillies-player-pool-for-2020

It's a possibility. That said, here are the thoughts from the GM from the Philadelphia Inquirer:

https://www.inquirer.com/sports/phillies-covid-19-spencer-howard-alec-bohm-opening-day-roster-20200629.html

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

I would cut Archer for him in a heartbeat

Since that post was on March 22 before his injury, no need to play Monday morning QB here

18 minutes ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

no chatter about this dude for a while. whats his outlook consist of at this point?

Getting his service time manipulated, and will probably be up pretty soon. Nasty stuff though

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Dirty Little Birdie said:

no chatter about this dude for a while. whats his outlook consist of at this point?

If they hold him down for 6 days they get another year of control so July 29th would be the first day he could be called up 

On 3/22/2020 at 7:53 PM, lavaman said:

Better than Pearson?

2 hours ago, OrangeCrush said:

Better than Pearson?

Pearson's FB is better, but the rest of the arsenal is similar in quality.