ST. STEVEN

Spencer Howard - SP PHI

On 7/23/2020 at 11:54 AM, OrangeCrush said:

Better than Pearson?

Maybe. Pearson might have more upside but it would not surprise me if Howard ended up being considerably better. Odds are if you take two prospect pitchers who are projected to be good, at least one won't be.

• Like 2

15 hours ago, brockpapersizer said:

Maybe. Pearson might have more upside but it would not surprise me if Howard ended up being considerably better. Odds are if you take two prospect pitchers who are projected to be good, at least one won't be.

Good point. It's tough to say rookie pitchers are a sure thing. Remember Forrest Whitley?

1 hour ago, BCMarch10 said:

Good point. It's tough to say rookie pitchers are a sure thing. Remember Forrest Whitley?

Trevor Bauer was more hyped than Pearson or Whitley. He's had one great year and a bunch of medicore or bad. Giolito also.  I'm forgetting many others.  Prospect pitchers are quite risky, especially if you're expecting like SP3 or much better right away. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, BCMarch10 said:

He is still around and still has a high prospect ranking though not number one any more of course.  Sometimes young pitchers take awhile too.  Tyler Glasnow looked like horse manure early on so I shoveled him out of my stables much to my regret in that dynasty league now.

Prospect pitchers are far more a crap shoot than hitters I believe but I've learned my lesson with Glasnow to hold on to them a bit longer and not have too active of a trigger finger with them.

• Like 2

8 hours ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

He is still around and still has a high prospect ranking though not number one any more of course.  Sometimes young pitchers take awhile too.  Tyler Glasnow looked like horse manure early on so I shoveled him out of my stables much to my regret in that dynasty league now.

Prospect pitchers are far more a crap shoot than hitters I believe but I've learned my lesson with Glasnow to hold on to them a bit longer and not have too active of a trigger finger with them.

Good points too. I agree that prospect pitchers can take longer than hitters to make their impact. Dynasty/keeper leagues should definitely hang onto highly touted prospects until they're sure it isn't going to happen. For example, I held onto Alex Reyes for several years, but it just didn't pan out.

On 7/24/2020 at 4:21 PM, brockpapersizer said:

I just picked up Spencer and already have Pearson. I have a 50/50 shot one pans out, right?

Posted (edited)
28 minutes ago, charger_ss24 said:

I just picked up Spencer and already have Pearson. I have a 50/50 shot one pans out, right?

I'd say 99% shot for both myself since Iove them both.  Just expect some bumps in the road from both as this usually happens to all young pitchers. Patience with both of them.

And like jdizzle said:

Sun, Jul 26

Phillies RHP prospect Spencer Howard appears lined up to make his MLB debut on Friday night against the Blue Jays.

Advice: Howard got transferred to the Phillies' alternate training site when the team set its Opening Day roster on Thursday, but it's quite obvious that the move was mostly about stunting his service time. If the Phillies wait just six games into the season to promote Howard, he will become a free agent after 2026 instead of 2025. The talented 23-year-old threw four innings in an intrasquad game Sunday in Allentown and would be on normal rest for Friday's series opener versus Toronto. He's worth rostering in most standard fantasy formats.

More: Philadelphia Inquirer                  (Rotoworld.com)

💥😵😍

Edited by The Big Bat Theory
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, charger_ss24 said:

Yeah I think that's accurate.  Chance for both chance for 0, but I'd bet on one for sure. 

• Like 1

Posted (edited)

Just hope they are allowed to pitch at least 5 innings to get the wins, the K's should be thier. Which 1 you boys got your money on? I own both in all leagues 

Edited by BIG SKI

7 hours ago, BIG SKI said:

Just hope they are allowed to pitch at least 5 innings to get the wins, the K's should be thier. Which 1 you boys got your money on? I own both in all leagues 

I own both as well, I like Pearson slightly better

12 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I own both as well, I like Pearson slightly better

I think I like Howard slightly better for 2020, I think it's a crap shoot but I think Howard has more major league pitches right now.

1 hour ago, brockpapersizer said:

I think I like Howard slightly better for 2020, I think it's a crap shoot but I think Howard has more major league pitches right now.

I could be slightly biased because, I watched Pearson pitch live last year in AA and his stuff was the best I have even seen live  in person 

7 hours ago, hockeyfan77 said:

I could be slightly biased because, I watched Pearson pitch live last year in AA and his stuff was the best I have even seen live  in person 

Who was the best you have seen dead in person?

Meanwhile yet another reason to be pissed at the whoevers on the Marlins who went "gentleman" clubbing and threatening all of major league baseball this season by their jerk behavior.  If that wasn't enough they are now also responsible for delaying a minor league baseball prospect in the form of Howard from making his first major league start.

Posted (edited)
1 hour ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Who was the best you have seen dead in person?

Meanwhile yet another reason to be pissed at the whoevers on the Marlins who went "gentleman" clubbing and threatening all of major league baseball this season by their jerk behavior.  If that wasn't enough they are now also responsible for delaying a minor league baseball prospect in the form of Howard from making his first major league start.

Sounds like whoever is pitching for the Red Sox this year....  :) 

It is too bad, might not see him at all, it's going to be tough to finish the season...I'm hoping this is a good learning lesson for the rest of the players in the league

Edited by hockeyfan77
  • Haha 2