smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Oakland SP starting tomorrow (Sunday) against the Angels. Any streamer or even long term appeal here?

• Like 2

7 hours ago, smeeze said:

Oakland SP starting tomorrow (Sunday) against the Angels. Any streamer or even long term appeal here?

He should be owned in all leagues.  Breakout potential.  Will it happen? Ninety percent chance it will not.  Though nobody saw Severino breaking out like he did two years ago.

His new pitch that is supposed to make a difference is a split finger.  I can't recall any pitcher really having sustained success with the pitch as a starter.  Good news is he has a blazing fastball and a good slider.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, B&F said:

He should be owned in all leagues.  Breakout potential.  Will it happen? Ninety percent chance it will not.  Though nobody saw Severino breaking out like he did two years ago.

His new pitch that is supposed to make a difference is a split finger.  I can't recall any pitcher really having sustained success with the pitch as a starter.  Good news is he has a blazing fastball and a good slider.

Tanaka?  Shoemaker?

• Like 1

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Tanaka?  Shoemaker?

Yup a great Splitter is arguable the best pitch out there to have. It's just rare because its very hard to control and an arm killer. (See Shoemaker's health resume). So teams don't teach to pitch to young developing pitchers.

Kuroda had a great splitter too. Then Koji, but he was a RP.

4 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Dude sucks

Riveting analysis.  But this isn’t the Daniel Vogelbach thread.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

32 minutes ago, BMcP said:

Tanaka?  Shoemaker?

Doesn't Samardzjia throw one as well? But yeah, there's some potential here for a bit more than a streamer.

6 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Riveting analysis.  But this isn’t the Daniel Vogelbach thread.

Vogel-Suck? tell me what over the course of last year inspired you to think Montas is capable of a spectacular year? No other team other than the A’s took a flier on him

2 minutes ago, BradMaddox said:

Vogel-Suck? tell me what over the course of last year inspired you to think Montas is capable of a spectacular year? No other team other than the A’s took a flier on him

I mean 3.88 ERA with a 3.90 FIP in your first go around as a starter in the AL isn’t awful.  K rate sucked, but apparently has a new pitch as people are eluding to.  Pitches in a nice home park.  Worth keeping an eye on at least.

Edited by Cmilne23

14 minutes ago, AnonymousRob said:

Doesn't Samardzjia throw one as well? But yeah, there's some potential here for a bit more than a streamer.

He does, but hasn't used it much in the past 3 years. He also happens to suck now too.

• Like 1

Frankie hit 99.4 mph in second inning with an avg. of 98. Slider at 90! Reminds me of a little of Severino when he first started. Hope he can keep the K rate up.

• Like 2

Looked really good today. I definitely see some appeal beyond streaming. I'm going to hold.

0 walks is best take away.  Was in command of all his pitches, splitter generated some early swing and miss K’s.  His slider was sitting 90-91.  To put in perspective Noah when he bust onto scene in 2016 averaged 90.9 on his slider.  Now we’ll see if he can keep it up.  But I don’t see how you can’t add and evaluate an arm like this at this rate.

• Like 4

Frankie Montas threw a splitter 17 times today, a pitch he has never used before this season. It generated four swinging strikes, which was the most of his four-pitch arsenal. He now has a 96-97 MPH fastball to go along with an 89-90 MPH slider and this splitter. I'm intrigued.

If he can continue to harness the command on this splitter there’s a big time bustout potential here.  Houston next should be a great measuring stick, and then Baltimore should a K party.  
  • Like 1

Like it a lot. Like a lot. Sub-5% ownership means 60-70% of owners should go out and grab him at the least. Legit upside, great situation, and reasons to believe in improvement with new pitch. Breakout szn.

• Like 3

I'm grabbing. Not sure I trust him @Hou yet unfortunately but he looks pretty intriguing.  

I know it was the Astros but it was not a great performance.  Didn't kill the ERA and averaged a K per inning but WHIP was whipped.  Still only one start and not reason to give up hope but was hoping for a better performance.

1 hour ago, B&F said:

I know it was the Astros but it was not a great performance.  Didn't kill the ERA and averaged a K per inning but WHIP was whipped.  Still only one start and not reason to give up hope but was hoping for a better performance.

I thought he looked fine. If you're needing someone you can start every time out this is not the arm for you. I'd start him at home and some road games.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Orioles next time out looks much more promising. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, B&F said:

Dude... like what? Survives a tough start in a much worse pakr against a premeiere AL offense with a K per inning and is <5% owned in ESPN leagues....

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER!!!!!

• Like 4
  • Haha 1

13 minutes ago, taobball said:

Dude... like what? Survives a tough start in a much worse pakr against a premeiere AL offense with a K per inning and is <5% owned in ESPN leagues....

ABANDON ALL HOPE YE WHO ENTER!!!!!

I like the “Inferno” ref

• Like 1

Is he good enough to be a poor man's Jesus Luzardo or just another chumpy