smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

23 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Is he good enough to be a poor man's Jesus Luzardo or just another chumpy

I find this to be an odd comparison but might be missing something. What do you mean by this? Top 30? 50? 80?

• Like 1

Hard to believe he doesn't get more Ks with that kind of velo

30 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

Hard to believe he doesn't get more Ks with that kind of velo

Looks like he’s morphing a bit.  He’s throwing a ton more strikes this year.  Seems like he’s learning to pitch instead of throw.  Hopefully the next graduation is sequencing that leads to more Ks.

• Like 2

Had a solid line versus the Orioles, with 6 IP 3 ER 3 Hits 1 Walk. At the same time, he only struck out 3 and generated 8 swinging strikes. Did anybody watch live? How did he look?

I’m appreciative of the win and the basically free points he gave me, but probably not the best result against the O’s last night. Lack of strikeouts and swing and miss could maybe be a concern and it appeared he was running out of gas in those middle innings when the runs were given up but I don’t know I was only following on Gameday. I haven’t looked too deep into the numbers yet but it appeared the O’s were swinging and putting the ball in play real early in the count so maybe that’s why there wasn’t a lot of K’s but I don’t know for sure 

• Like 1

Got shares in him in a deeper league but just cut bait in my 12tm for now. He's still refining the splitter he added, great FB velo but its straight so doesn't get too many whiffs. I see good promise but for him to be more of a streaming option this year in standard leagues. He's going to have problems with HRs, the improved control is good though.

He doesn't need swing and miss on his fastball.  As long as the hitter can't put that ball in play that is fine.  The velocity will take care of that.  He needs to get swing and miss with his slider and splitter which at this point is not a certainty.

At the very least he should be a good streaming option.  He is in the same division as Seattle, LA Angels, and Texas.  None of those offenses are juggernauts.  Also backed by a good offense. 

• Like 2

This.,⬆️⬆️⬆️

He's a guy you hold not based solely on his stuff, but instead on the entire context of his scenario. Great home ball park. Great offense behind him, and not a super tough division. If he can continue to refine that splitter then the results can get even better.

27 minutes ago, B&F said:

He doesn't need swing and miss on his fastball.  As long as the hitter can't put that ball in play that is fine.  The velocity will take care of that.  He needs to get swing and miss with his slider and splitter which at this point is not a certainty.

At the very least he should be a good streaming option.  He is in the same division as Seattle, LA Angels, and Texas.  None of those offenses are juggernauts.  Also backed by a good offense.

You do know Seattle can kind of hit this year, right?

He's got the second best ERA on my team now. I liked him to become OAK's best SP this year. So far he's been pretty good.  Stream him at least against mediocre offenses.

Just now, Members_Only_76 said:

Is this a Gausman type pitcher?

Montas has a much better breaking pitch.

Erm just take a look at his upcoming schedule, I find it hard to drop him after seeing it.

houston, texas, toronto, pittsburgh, cleveland, detroit, angels... um yes please

13 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

Erm just take a look at his upcoming schedule, I find it hard to drop him after seeing it.

houston, texas, toronto, pittsburgh, cleveland, detroit, angels... um yes please

playing matchups is overrated.

1 minute ago, Members_Only_76 said:

playing matchups is overrated.

I think I would have to disagree there, even if Montas was a 'streamer' level of pitcher, his upcoming schedule would certainly warrant being streamed in all but the houston game. And I believe he has a chance to be better than a streamer level of pitcher.

• Like 2

8 minutes ago, rlaalsrb said:

I think I would have to disagree there, even if Montas was a 'streamer' level of pitcher, his upcoming schedule would certainly warrant being streamed in all but the houston game. And I believe he has a chance to be better than a streamer level of pitcher.

streamable, yep. some don't like streaming and trying to gamble on matchups tho.

Anyone with elephantitus tossing him out there today?

• Haha 3

11 minutes ago, Cmilne23 said:

Anyone with elephantitus tossing him out there today?

Indeed. Will be wheelbarrowing myself over to the couch tonight to watch Frankie handle Houston.

• Haha 5

He's not pitching at ace level. Doesn't miss enough bats, but he's keeping the ball on the ground (though he's also allowed 4 homers so that ERA is pretty lucky). I'd still play matchup with him. HOU is throwing Wade Miley out there so he may get some run support, but I don't think it's gonna be a QS.

He gave up 2 runs on 8 baserunners against them in 5IP in HOU, but he was kinda lucky then.

30 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

He's not pitching at ace level. Doesn't miss enough bats, but he's keeping the ball on the ground (though he's also allowed 4 homers so that ERA is pretty lucky). I'd still play matchup with him. HOU is throwing Wade Miley out there so he may get some run support, but I don't think it's gonna be a QS.

He gave up 2 runs on 8 baserunners against them in 5IP in HOU, but he was kinda lucky then.

Dont sleep on Miley. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hes been a weird amalgam of luck so far. Insane HR/FB%, but also high Strand%. I really like the stuff but I’m nervous about this quality of hitter seeing his young stuff and fastball twice so close together. Luckily for Montas they are mostly Right Handed. 

1 hour ago, taobball said:

Dont sleep on Miley. 🤷🏼‍♂️

Hes been a weird amalgam of luck so far. Insane HR/FB%, but also high Strand%. I really like the stuff but I’m nervous about this quality of hitter seeing his young stuff and fastball twice so close together. Luckily for Montas they are mostly Right Handed. 

What is it you like about Miley though? In 2 of 3 past seasons, Miley has allowed averages of .298 and .301 to righties. You hold 234 ABs against lefties in part of (1) season for Bieber but discount Miley's numbers against opposite handed hitters with a sample size of over 1000 ABs in (2) seasons? Why? I very much appreciate your takes, just trying to understand where you're coming from.

7 minutes ago, ThreadKiller said:

What is it you like about Miley though? In 2 of 3 past seasons, Miley has allowed averages of .298 and .301 to righties. You hold 234 ABs against lefties in part of (1) season for Bieber but discount Miley's numbers against opposite handed hitters with a sample size of over 1000 ABs in (2) seasons? Why? I very much appreciate your takes, just trying to understand where you're coming from.

You're creating a 1-to-1 comparison where there isn't one. I didn't say "Miley is a top 30 SP go run out and get him now." I said he had the potential to limit the damage against an Oakland lineup IN Oakland, a cavernous ballpark. Bieber is being pushed up and up rankings from top 30 to top 20 and even some crazier numbers being thrown out. No where did I or have I ever even said that Miley would be more than a streamer in a mixed league. If I put Miley and Bieber on the exact same plain, "Streamer in a Mixed League," which do you think I'm going to hear more complaints about? Miley? Or BIEBER? I'll tell you right now it's bieber. 

You're talking about the difference between an argument that says "This guy sucks" "No he's not that bad" and one that says "This guy is one of the best pitchers in baseball and is breaking out" "He's not really that good" and ignoring that difference. That's a huge difference. 

I like Miley a bit because he has done a really good job of keeping the ball in the park the last year+ and with his high GB%, that could easily lead to an effective starter. 

Edited by taobball

4 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Sitting this one out.  Houston’s offense is just too much right now.

Are they?  17th in baseball in scoring.  16th on the road.  They've been better over the last week, but even then, they're 8th.

Not a matchup I'm salivating over, but not one I'd a consider a "must sit" for someone I'm rostering full time.