smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 minute ago, 89Topps said:

Are they?  17th in baseball in scoring.  16th on the road.  They've been better over the last week, but even then, they're 8th.

Not a matchup I'm salivating over, but not one I'd a consider a "must sit" for someone I'm rostering full time.

The “been better the last week” thing i do think is worthy of mentioning. They started slow and have been playing much better. They JUST saw him. It’s a tough matchup and league dependent.

6 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Are they?  17th in baseball in scoring.  16th on the road.  They've been better over the last week, but even then, they're 8th.

Not a matchup I'm salivating over, but not one I'd a consider a "must sit" for someone I'm rostering full time.

They’ve been really hot during their current 9 game winning streak.  They’ve averaged something like 7 runs per game.  

11 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

They’ve been really hot during their current 9 game winning streak.  They’ve averaged something like 7 runs per game.  

6 runs per game over their last 10.  They beat up on Fiers, Estrada & Brooks and Seattle's trash bullpen.  Like I said, they've been better of late.  They're not an offense I'm going out of my way to stream against or anything.  I'm starting Montas tonight though.  I'd be lying if I said I didn't go back and forth on it though.

The statistical arguments for and against the Astros are both bad. It's the middle of April. The Astros offense is good, anyone with a brain knows that.

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, miasma16 said:

The statistical arguments for and against the Astros are both bad. It's the middle of April. The Astros offense is good, anyone with a brain knows that.

Doesnt necessarily mean that you should ignore small early season trends. Astros started off very slow and didn’t really start doing damage until a week ago. A cold team is a cold team🤷🏼‍♂️. I don’t think theyre cold anymore tho

11 minutes ago, taobball said:

Doesnt necessarily mean that you should ignore small early season trends. Astros started off very slow and didn’t really start doing damage until a week ago. A cold team is a cold team🤷🏼‍♂️. I don’t think theyre cold anymore tho

Nobody said you should, but you certainly shouldn't draw conclusions from them.

1 minute ago, miasma16 said:

Nobody said you should, but you certainly shouldn't draw conclusions from them.

I mean what’s draw conclusions mean? I think it can surely influence whether or not you start a pitcher v an offense. I’m not throwing out righties v the twins right now, for instance. Don’t know how long that remains true but unless your name is (various Ace) than you’re being benched if RH. 

just walked into this thread, no idea what you guys are talking about but it doesn't sound like Frankie Montas lol 😂

Tough lineup tonight against Houston but he has looked decent, a good start tonight and he is going to be listed as a buy on most fantasy sites tomorrow

• Like 1

13 hours ago, High&Inside said:

Indeed. Will be wheelbarrowing myself over to the couch tonight to watch Frankie handle Houston.

How’s the big sack feeling big baller?

• Like 1
  • Haha 2

Y'all should have joined me with your wheelbarrows. 

Really kid looked good. Got ahead in the count consistently. Slider was really working too. Had a lot of confidence. There were also really great plays made behind him.

This was the really good Frankie montas. There's gonna be some bad, he's not maintaining a 96.5% strand rate. And won't ever probably go deep into games. 3rd time through was when the trouble started. 

• Like 3

21 minutes ago, 89Topps said:

Houston's offense.  Psssh.

😁

Houston's offense is good, he should've been started anyway. Good performance by Montas, been one of the few consistent starters I and many others have owned so far.

Montas will be a top 30 starter this year with room for more fight me 

Edited by loro1991
  • Like 1

That one at-bat against altuve was beastly Major League sequencing there I'll admit I'm not the best at breaking down pitches but that looked like Frankie knows what he's up to

26 minutes ago, bugkilla said:

That one at-bat against altuve was beastly Major League sequencing there I'll admit I'm not the best at breaking down pitches but that looked like Frankie knows what he's up to

The sliders he threw in that at bat were probably his best of the outing.

I'm on board! I had an inkling of interest going into the season in him, but knew he'd be on the wire in most leagues to start the year -- the HOU start was it tho, guy should be picked up in standard leagues with a Yahoo player rating of 55 right now. 

• Like 1

Just curious hasn't had a to start week yet are they limited the Innings or is it just scheduling

44 minutes ago, bugkilla said:

Just curious hasn't had a to start week yet are they limited the Innings or is it just scheduling

He started 3/31, 4/5, 4/10 & 4/17.  That's every 5 games Oakland has played, so looks to just be scheduling.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, The Big Bat Theory said:

Already gone in most private leagues.

Not i

that is until i get my adds back sunday when games lock 👀

def should be added in most leagues tho

His two seamer actually has above avg spin, which I think is supposed to be bad right?

Wonder if he'd be better off throwing a four seamer up to complement the split and the slider down.

But per MLB.com the avg exit velocity on the pitch is below avg, so I guess if it ain't broke...

I would be curious what he could do if he adds a four seam though.