smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

I liked what a saw. His line looks worse than he was. A couple of broken bat singles, infield singles, and weak singles did not help. I think he is likely a must start at home and a good start against weak teams on the road. 

• Like 3
  • Thanks 3

"This might blow your mind, but Montas earned himself the Gallows Pole today with 17 whiffs. WHAT. nine on his slider and splitter combined and another eight on heaters. But there’s a catch. Remember last time when I was pumped that he threw more four-seamers than sinkers? Yeeeaaaah, that went out the window here – 48 sinkers, 13 four-seamers. Womp womp. But it worked! True! Maybe Montas doesn’t need that four-seamer after all. I still think he does a bit, but if his splitter and slider are both working like this, it doesn’t really matter, does it. Keeping rolling with the fella. " By Nick Pollack April 24, 2019

• Like 5
  • Thanks 1

Who's rolling the dice @BOS?

If he was at home I would start him without second thought.

Kinda on the fence here.

7 minutes ago, papasmurf said:

Who's rolling the dice @BOS?

If he was at home I would start him without second thought.

Kinda on the fence here.

Boston 22nd on the year in run production.

Number 1? That's right your future world champion Seattle Mariners😎

14 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

Yeah you're right. I saw Mookie homered a few times lately and I thought BOS offense is picking up lately. Checked their team stats lately, and they are still not doing so good.

Yesterday I went against instinct and started Lucchesi @WAS (no Rendon) and got burned, so I don't wanna make it b2b. Gotta figure the OAK righty hitters will put up some runs today. But then so did the Pads yesterday...  Ah dang.

• Like 1

Sitting him.  If Frankie tames the Sawx in Beantown, I'll be satisfied with the confidence bump. 

1 hour ago, pushaZ said:

Make the playoffs first, then let's chat.

I wouldn't start him, but will be watching.

• Haha 1

Think I'm talking myself into starting him. He's been death to RHH so far and the majority of LHH the Red Sox will send out there tonight, Lin / Devers / JBJ, don't scare me. 

That combined with Red Sox overall being rather pedestrian v RHP (.707 OPS) so far this year has me swayed

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Junkie Cosmonaut said:

Think I'm talking myself into starting him. He's been death to RHH so far and the majority of LHH the Red Sox will send out there tonight, Lin / Devers / JBJ, don't scare me. 

That combined with Red Sox overall being rather pedestrian v RHP (.707 OPS) so far this year has me swayed

I am going with him, he’s got a good start later this week and the rest of my pitching matchups are pretty solid. He’s been good all year 

Thank god! 2 errors in the 3rd wiped away 6 earned runs from his record. Still an ugly 2.31 WHIP though.

Edited by michaelai3
  • Like 2

YUK.  Predictable though.

Not sold on him on being anything more than a streamer.  A good one though. 

• Like 1

It's hard enough to get outs in Fenway.  Not to mention Boston's lineup.  When you have 2 errors in an inning where otherwise 0 runs would've scored, how do you blame the pitcher for that?

5 minutes ago, MrBrown said:

It's hard enough to get outs in Fenway.  Not to mention Boston's lineup.  When you have 2 errors in an inning where otherwise 0 runs would've scored, how do you blame the pitcher for that?

Laureano also badly misplayed a ball on a Betts hit to center that was scored as a double, that doesn’t show up in the box score.  

• Like 2

Don’t walk s---y hitting 8 hole catchers and that inning probably never has a chance to get out of control. Then Profar is just a hack and costs them an out if not two. That guy should never step on the infield unless it’s to run the bases. No idea what Beane saw in him and the way the roster is currently constructed, that problem isn’t going away.

• Like 1

Is the Oakland defense so bad that it makes him unownable?

What an amazing string of luck that he only gets credit for 1 of his 7 runs. I don't think I've ever seen that before

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

I’d actually say that outside of Profar, it’s above average Chapman’s a stud, Semien’s vastly improved his defense over the last few years. Laser made a mistake on a fly ball right at him, but that’s the exception, not the rule with him. He might be the best CF out there right now

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Has pitched against Texas, Houston twice, Boston and the Angels and has a sub 3 ERA (today was lucky), don’t think it’s been that bad.   Oakland can score some runs to help with Wins, too. 

6 minutes ago, pbjfb said:

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, pbjfb said:

It’s a good defense.  Laureano and Chapman are out of this world good.  Profar is just a total hack.  You’ll likely start seeing his PT taken away, especially when a ground ball pitcher is on mound.  He ruined the game for his team yesterday.  

• Thanks 1

Take away those 2 errors in the inning and he woulda probably had a line like 2 runs in 6 IP.

I don't see him going deep into games. The hitter numbers against him get much better the 2nd time, then 3rd time through the lineup. 

4 hours ago, papasmurf said:

Take away those 2 errors in the inning and he woulda probably had a line like 2 runs in 6 IP.

I don't see him going deep into games. The hitter numbers against him get much better the 2nd time, then 3rd time through the lineup. 

He’s been very efficient this year.  He has 3:1 K:BB ratio.  His ground ball rate is remarkably high at 57.4!% (number one in baseball), so he’ll likely force a lot of double plays.  He’ll need good defense behind him though.  Oakland will probably want to look at different 2B options when he’s on mound.  Pinder might not be much better there I saw him make back to back errors the other day.  But other than that hadn’t seen him a ton though.  Either way with his GB rate if he can sustain that and continuing developing his third pitch he should be solid all season long.

• Like 1

Another solid start this guy has been $$

• Like 1

[...]

Probably not gonna get more than 12 wins, but rock solid for a end of rotation guy.