smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

1 hour ago, papasmurf said:

[...]

Dude looked good in the spring and added a split.

If he pitches to a sub-4 ERA going forward (from now to the end, not counting the innings he already threw) I'd be happy.

Still bearish, huh?

May 6: Rock solid end of rotation type

May 10: Perhaps best-suited for the bullpen over the long term

May 13: Sky definitely falling 

May 22: Hopefully a sub-4 ERA going forward!

You could be right, of course.  

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Still bearish, huh?

May 6: Rock solid end of rotation type

May 10: Perhaps best-suited for the bullpen over the long term

May 13: Sky definitely falling 

May 22: Hopefully a sub-4 ERA going forward!

You could be right, of course.  

It's a smart anti-jinx strategy and I approve.

• Like 1

This guy isn't getting enough love, 3.04 fip, 8.8 k/9 and a 2.4 bb/9, and seems to be getting better. How do we view him ROS? 

I do not think people realize how difficult it is for a visiting pitcher to go into Texas for a day game when it is 85 degrees.

• Like 1

any reason to be worried about his workload/getting shut down? hes no pup (26) but he threw 136 inn last year, 60 in 2017, 16 inn  in 2016.  guessing inj shortened.

He could bump up to 175 easily.  Anything beyond that is gravy.  Maybe a skipped start or two somewhere but i wouldn't think a shutdown

similar to Blake Snell. gets called up and pitches some nice games with bad ones. next season pitching like an ace. heck a lot of pitchers actually.

3 minutes ago, mlb2019 said:

similar to Blake Snell. gets called up and pitches some nice games with bad ones. next season pitching like an ace. heck a lot of pitchers actually.

I think the context on this matters though. Snell was a top prospect coming up and while he wasn't expected to win a Cy Young this early in his career, it shouldn't have surprised anyone following his MLB debut. Same thing with Glasnow now. Hype really dampens after a so-so rookie season on pitchers, seemingly. 

Montas is way more interesting in that this is his third organization since making his MLB debut and frankly wasn't expected to be this good. Everyone knew he had a killer fastball but it seemed that he was destined to be a bullpen arm, albeit a late inning one. Seeing him have sustainable success as a starter is genuinely pretty cool, as not a ton of people  expected it, especially with how his career has gone thus far. 

• Like 1

I have to wonder whether the analysts have been ignorant to anoint Luzardo as the A's future ace.  As if their ace isn't sitting here right before our eyes, doing ace things.  I haven't seen any signs to indicate this is unsustainable.  The league's had 1/2 a season to figure him out but he's continued getting better.  

The reason I picked him up in spring training is that I read he added a new splitter. But that thang has been better than I could imagine. And yes he is getting better as the season progresses! I mean the split functions as a north-south offspeed, while the slider is the east-west offspeed. Combines that with a 97 FB. Nasty combo right there.

[...]

Edited by tonycpsu
Removed Cool Story

Beyond devastating.

The A’s have played 76 games. Season over.

Edited by smeeze

[...] How are y’all gonna deal with this in keeper leagues? I think I’m holding in all.

Edited by tonycpsu

Came into this thread expecting to read something positive.  Actually it was positive.  A positive drug test.

Wouldn't surprise me if this is the first of a few suspensions.  

• Like 2

16 hours ago, Tommy Lee Jones said:

Crown him.  Meadows did’t have a freaking clue.  8 IP, 9 K, 1.13 ERA, 0.50 WHIP

PED King !

• Haha 6

3 hours ago, 80version said:

I have to wonder whether the analysts have been ignorant to anoint Luzardo as the A's future ace.  As if their ace isn't sitting here right before our eyes, doing ace things.  I haven't seen any signs to indicate this is unsustainable.  The league's had 1/2 a season to figure him out but he's continued getting better.  

spacer.png

• Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Backdoor Slider said:

spacer.png

LOL... not gonna say I jinxed it, but the timing of the news sure makes me look silly. 

• Like 1

F ME.

when does he return? even with what he has done might as well drop?

so who takes over in the rotation?

• Like 1