smeeze

Frankie Montas 2019 Outlook

tonycpsu

[Thread for previous season automatically locked. Feel free to post a new thread for 2020.]

Message added by tonycpsu

Well, for weekly players like me, at least he got his start in this week. Silver lining, I guess. 

Just now, SpecialFNK said:

F ME.

when does he return? even with what he has done might as well drop?

so who takes over in the rotation?

they've played 76 games and it's an 80 game suspension so he's done in redraft leagues

i'm guessing a placeholder for luzardo since he makes his first AAA start tomorrow after making two A appearances

3 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

F ME.

They’re reporting the last week of the regular season so he’s useless in redraft.

1 minute ago, DaGreatest said:

They’re reporting the last week of the regular season so he’s useless in redraft.

it's done, no appeal that can change this?

Can’t complain too much, he was free money and gave us an unbelievable first half. He frees up a roster spot and there will always be call ups to replace his production *cough* Luzardo *cough*.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

F ME.

Redraft he's a drop, keeper is more of a question. 

Most PED users regress after they are busted... BRAUN, DEE GORDON for recent examples 

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, SpecialFNK said:

I mean you can always appeal I guess, but this doesn’t sound like he’s fighting it.

Montas has released the following statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association: 

"I am deeply saddened to confirm that MLB recently notified me I have tested positive for Ostarine, a prohibited substance under MLB's Joint Drug Agreement. While I never intended to take any prohibited substance, I unfortunately and unknowingly ingested a contaminated supplement that I had purchased over-the-counter at a nutrition store here in the United States. That said, I respect MLB rules and understand my responsibilities under the Joint Drug Agreement, and accept full responsibility. I sincerely apologize to the A's organization, the fans, my teammates and my family for this mistake. My hope is to be able to return to the A's later this season and contribute as best I can." 

He claims that he didn’t take it knowingly.

Edited by DaGreatest

2 minutes ago, DaGreatest said:

Montas has released the following statement through the Major League Baseball Players Association: 

"I am deeply saddened to confirm that MLB recently notified me I have tested positive for Ostarine, a prohibited substance under MLB's Joint Drug Agreement. While I never intended to take any prohibited substance, I unfortunately and unknowingly ingested a contaminated supplement that I had purchased over-the-counter at a nutrition store here in the United States. That said, I respect MLB rules and understand my responsibilities under the Joint Drug Agreement, and accept full responsibility. I sincerely apologize to the A's organization, the fans, my teammates and my family for this mistake. My hope is to be able to return to the A's later this season and contribute as best I can." 

Hard to believe he is taking this in stride if he was in fact consuming this unknowingly.  I mean, doesn't a player usually have to get two strikes before an 80 game suspension is issued? 

3 minutes ago, 80version said:

Hard to believe he is taking this in stride if he was in fact consuming this unknowingly.  I mean, doesn't a player usually have to get two strikes before an 80 game suspension is issued? 

Not anymore. See recent examples, including Jorge Polanco. 

9 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

Most PED users regress after they are busted... BRAUN, DEE GORDON for recent examples 

I know you said MOST, but Jorge Polanco would like a word with you. 

5 minutes ago, 80version said:

1st positive - half season

2nd positive - full season

3rd positive - lifetime ban, need commissioner to let you back in (Jenrry Mejia) 

1 minute ago, Sonny_D said:

I know you said MOST, but Jorge Polanco would like a word with you. 

From what I remember the first year after being caught the performance is solid but then it declines sharply

Figured that SARMS had started to make their way into baseball. Prolly tons of guys in the league on them. Shame about Montas

8 minutes ago, High&Inside said:

Figured that SARMS had started to make their way into baseball. Prolly tons of guys in the league on them. Shame about Montas

ive heard of sarms.  is that what he tested for?

arent they basically legal..you can buy at GNC or supplement store, and they dont turn into roids until they are in your body?

Just now, jfazz23 said:

ive heard of sarms.  is that what he tested for?

arent they basically legal..you can buy at GNC or supplement store, and they dont turn into roids until they are in your body?

SARMS aren't anabolic so they're not technically steroids. They do however affect recovery time. Ostarine specifically can be beneficial for injury recovery, like tendon pain, which a pitcher deals with consistently.

Most have them had originally been created to deal with muscle wasting due to chemo treatment. They're technically still just research chemicals and still going through medical trials.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2

53 minutes ago, bigbossman said:

i have him in a keeper too....really wondering what to do now

“While I never intended to take any prohibited substance, I unfortunately and unknowingly ingested a contaminated supplement that I had purchased over-the-counter at a nutrition store here in the United States.”

llooks like it may have been SARMS....that is if you believe him

2 hours ago, SpecialFNK said:

It is an automatic suspension period.

[...] 

Guess Tanner Anderson will remain in the rotation now for sure.  Decent outings his first two starts.  But he is facing TB for the second time tonight so we will see.

Edited by tonycpsu

SMH.  Half the league is on something and Frankie is caught.

I mean I view his steroid usage as a plus, sure he got suspended but the steroids were probably why he had a breakout season.

I could believe his story.  The sports supplement market is not FDA regulated. So a lot of these over the counter things run the risk of being contaminated with something banned.  Unfortunately you have to be very careful as an athlete knowing what’s going in your body.  Just typing in the word into a google search there’s a few products that pop up “claiming” to have said ingredient.  Could be hoax product also.  But bottom line, sports supplementation is slippery slope.

Edited by Cmilne23
  • Like 3

i googled the stuff he took and everything that came up for it said it was a steroid. He knew what he was doing and rolled the dice

16 minutes ago, pushaZ said:

I mean I view his steroid usage as a plus, sure he got suspended but the steroids were probably why he had a breakout season.

HAHA.  Excellent point.